• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Let me know if you need the name of a NV instructor. NV requires an 8 hour course from a licensed NV instructor and the course must be taken in NV.. They guy I used was great and even drove me to the range for the live fire portion.

Will do. I knew the part about having to be trained in NV, I wish that wasn't the case. Hopefully they relax the requirements at some point or maybe honor this dumb@ss MD permit. That'll never happen because MD won't grant anyone reciprocity.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The requirements are set by the Nevada Chiefs and Sheriffs Association. They dropped FL just because they extended the license period to 7 years. Don't expect a loosening of the requirements while they call the shots (no pun intended)

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    The requirements are set by the Nevada Chiefs and Sheriffs Association. They dropped FL just because they extended the license period to 7 years. Don't expect a loosening of the requirements while they call the shots (no pun intended)

Yep, I remember when it happened. Didn't like it one bit then and still don't now. I'd almost rather FL stayed 5 years so I could have NV reciprocity.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    My research indicates the Maine permit would not let me add any reciprocity states so I doubt I would ever get one.
    When I got mine it just said "training requirement" without defining what that was. My MD safety training course was enough to satisfy that at the time. I sent in a signed copy of my MD certificate of handgun safety that I took over the web.

Any other training requirement would probably be satisfactory unless ME changed their requirements.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Any NRA course will do. I took basic pistol for my Connecticut state permit so I'm good.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I am very unlikely to ever find myself in Maine. My research indicates the Maine permit would not let me add any reciprocity states so I doubt I would ever get one. If I go once in life I will open carry same for New Hampshire. If I get anymore permits (I have quite a few) Nevada would be the top of my list because I have been there and I would go there again. But again open carry is an option there so maybe not so important after all. I prefer CC but will OC if it is the only option available to me.

A problem with OC in NH and ME (with no permits) is that vehicle carry is prohibited.
    I was curious why ME has such crappy reciprocity? From what I can gather ME has a "good character" clause and possibly won't enter into an agreement if the other state doesn't have something similiar. They recently signed w/PA, which also has something similiar. They honor only LA, DE, AR, MI, ND, SD, WY, and PA.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    A problem with OC in NH and ME (with no permits) is that vehicle carry is prohibited.
    I was curious why ME has such crappy reciprocity? From what I can gather ME has a "good character" clause and possibly won't enter into an agreement if the other state doesn't have something similiar. They recently signed w/PA, which also has something similiar. They honor only LA, DE, AR, MI, ND, SD, WY, and PA.

I am aware of the vehicle restrictions in ME and NH. Open carry out of the vehicle is still better than nothing.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I forgot to mention that my ME application will also be a test of the "I was denied in another state". I included the denial letter from NJ-based solely on lack of "justifiable need". It didn't prevent me from getting my WV permit renewed, but then again they didn't ask.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I forgot to mention that my ME application will also be a test of the "I was denied in another state". I included the denial letter from NJ-based solely on lack of "justifiable need". It didn't prevent me from getting my WV permit renewed, but then again they didn't ask.

Most states do not ask. Here they ask every time you want to buy a handgun or change your address on your firearm purchaser ID card (lifetime long gun purchase permit).

The two most popular - FL and UT - do not ask.

But because most people here in NJ do not apply for a carry permit, the AG can say that they approve 92% of permits..

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Anything to do in Vermont? Heh, I might be willing to drive up there for some hokey reason just to be able to CCW.

I went a couple years ago during the summer it was very pleasant. Beautiful in the mountains, lakes, Ben & Jerrys tour, lots of other touristy stuff. Mostly the scenery. But it was really nice to be able to carry for a week too :D

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Check cashed 5/16, I only sent the application in on 5/1. Seems like they may be speeding things up, otherwise they're just quick to take the money.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Got a question. The mental health portion of the form. They say "witness." Is that simply someone else who signs, or do I need a notary?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Got a question. The mental health portion of the form. They say "witness." Is that simply someone else who signs, or do I need a notary?

I just had a non-notary sign, and pretty sure the last time I didn't have a notary sign either.

RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    "But because most people here in NJ do not apply for a carry permit, the AG can say that they approve 92% of permits.."

Same as here in the not so great state of Maryland, only difference is it is the MSP that says this.

RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    I have Utah and Florida permits what would getting a Maine NR CCW permit do for me, "what have I missed in reading this thread?"

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    It would allow you to carry in Maine. As a bonus it is a backup in case reciprocity changes overnight.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I recently acquired a copy of "Handgun Self-Defense, a digest of the best of today's handgunning literature PLUS Concealed Weapons, how to get your permit." Part of it is written by Evan Nappen. On his encouragement I ordered a copy from a used books site.

Anyway, it has some of the old forms, and here is one back when Maine was may-issue. I see it still has some of the old questions in the new form. Attached is the old Maine form.

Attachments

• Doc - May 23, 2014, 10-00 PM.pdf
      534.1 KB · Views: 58

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I recently acquired a copy of "Handgun Self-Defense, a digest of the best of today's handgunning literature PLUS Concealed Weapons, how to get your permit." Part of it is written by Evan Nappen. On his encouragement I ordered a copy from a used books site.

Anyway, it has some of the old forms, and here is one back when Maine was may-issue. I see it still has some of the old questions in the new form. Attached is the old Maine form.

Wow that's a pretty short form for being may-issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom