Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 6th, 2018, 11:57 AM #11

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

If I ever get time to go shooting, I want to try a KSG. I can't envision that it would fill any perceived hole in my collection but it is a neat gimmick.

If you must make a compromise to carry a concealed handgun, compromise on fashion, not the firearm.
joppaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 11:22 AM #12

What’s the butt pad like on them? That makes a huge difference with high recoiling guns. With my 870 express and a t-shirt I am usually done after 2 rounds of trap or Skeet. I can gift through a 3rd, but I know it is affecting my accuracy.

I removed the stock butt pad and out a grind to fit limb saver recoil pad on there. Now I can do 3 rounds in a t-shirt and my shoulder will be a little sore and I can manage a 4th without gritting in pain, but if I do I know I’ll be feeling it for a couple of days.

Slugs, sighting it in for deer season, 5 slugs and I’d have some tears in my eyes from the bench. Standing I can manage about 10-12 before it really hurts bad. Again, this is wearing just like a t-shirt or long sleeve shirt. With the better recoil pad I haven’t hit “too painful”, but then again I am still only running 5-10 slugs for sight in and make sure it’s all shooting fine. I still prefer to slip on my shoulder recoil pad for sighting it in or if I am wearing summer weight cloths and I am going to be shooting many rounds of trap or Skeet (or sporting clays).

My 20ga was the same way. Super hard recoil pad as it’s a 1960s Winchester 370 single shot. It tips the scale at a couple of ounces over 5lbs. It recoils HARDER than my 12ga 870. And I don’t mean because of the butt pad, I mean the free recoil velocity is higher because the thing is so much dang lighter. I’ve never shot anything heavier than #4 bird shot out of it, but it sucks after a couple rounds of trap. I also replaced the butt pad and now it’s a dream to shoot trap with and amazing in the field.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 12:08 PM #13
Resident MacGyver

Resident MacGyver

sounds like a market ripe for a knoxx recoil absorbent butt stock pad.

put a knoxx stock on my 870 and can go through cases of slugs without an issue. its now the shotgun I use to introduce new shooters to skeet because it is so gentle.
kohburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 12:19 PM #14
DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

My 590 with knoxx was not too bad shooting 2.75 slugs. a little sore the next day, but I do have the frame to absorb things like that a little better. Have not tried since switching to the magpul stock.
jrumann59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting