• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dsnyder

MDS Supporter
    Jun 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    In the 1980's there was a tiny neighborhood close to tall oaks restaurant. Its long gone now, but i was wondering if anyone has any pictures they could share?
    This topic has almost become a fable, lots of people sort of remember, but i have never seen any photos. Thanks.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I think there was mention of it and maybe even some pictures in Weird Maryland. Unfortunately i must have loaned that book out and it went to parts unknown.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I have the book. Story: Circus little people retire from the Big Top and settle on the outskirts of town and build a miniature city with tiny houses hidden away from the big people. Some kids find the village and decide to check it out one night. They get chased out by a torch wielding mob of midgets swinging baseball bats and firing shotguns.

Pretty sure this is urban legend, as there is a Midgetville story for every state, Maryland has 3 Midgetvilles- one in Baltimore County, one in Anne Arundel County and one in Cecil County. Everyone remembers seeing it but no one has photos or remembers where it is located.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Midgetville AA county was down near my buddy Earle's house. I remember a cove nearby where you could land a boat and hang out. It was just a string of cottages down the road from Gene Davis place if you came by land if my memory is correct.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I worked the road in Pasadena for years off and on starting in the 80's and never saw a Midgetville or the remnants of one down Colony Road or anywhere else. What you did have in Pasadena anywhere near the water were lots of very old summer cottage communities and small summer homes people from out of town bought for themselves to use. We're talking about probably early to mid 20th century era buildings. Those have largely been displaced by age and new building. Or in places like Green Haven some of the old summer cottages wound up turning into regular homes and are still standing.

Speaking of circuses though, we did have a real live circus tiger and lion trainer/keeper on a farm off Ft. Smallwood Road though. Saw them for myself! Ever pet a tiger and felt it purr? It's like laying your hand on a running VW bug engine.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I worked the road in Pasadena for years off and on starting in the 80's and never saw a Midgetville or the remnants of one down Colony Road or anywhere else. What you did have in Pasadena anywhere near the water were lots of very old summer cottage communities and small summer homes people from out of town bought for themselves to use. We're talking about probably early to mid 20th century era buildings. Those have largely been displaced by age and new building. Or in places like Green Haven some of the old summer cottages wound up turning into regular homes and are still standing.

Speaking of circuses though, we did have a real live circus tiger and lion trainer/keeper on a farm off Ft. Smallwood Road though. Saw them for myself! Ever pet a tiger and felt it purr? It's like laying your hand on a running VW bug engine.

Ok I’ll admit that last part is super freaking cool

JaegerJason

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 1, 2018
    I think I considered purchasing one of these when I first moved to Maryland. We Southerners can't afford normal sized houses up here. :)

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore

Like mpdc4511 said - about the most awesome thing to do!

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I got pictures of the place before it was torn down. There was actually only a couple of houses that were small. The roof line on those houses were six foot off the ground.
    There is a lot of talk on the Pasadena page on fb right now about this. Several people said they lived near there and they never saw any "midgets".
    Midgets or no midgets, I have been looking for the photos I took there for months now. If I ever find them, I will post them.

Dsnyder

MDS Supporter
    Jun 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    Thanks john, that would be great. I know that all bay communities had summer shacks or shantys, and i think this is what confuses our memorys so much.
    I vividly recall seeing several small houses clustered around each other. Small windows,doors,picket fences that were 2 feet tall,etc.
    Howeverl i have never seen a single picture. So maybe i was drunk.
    Anyway, thanks all.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I think there was mention of it and maybe even some pictures in Weird Maryland. Unfortunately i must have loaned that book out and it went to parts unknown.

I have the book. Story: Circus little people retire from the Big Top and settle on the outskirts of town and build a miniature city with tiny houses hidden away from the big people. Some kids find the village and decide to check it out one night. They get chased out by a torch wielding mob of midgets swinging baseball bats and firing shotguns.

Pretty sure this is urban legend, as there is a Midgetville story for every state, Maryland has 3 Midgetvilles- one in Baltimore County, one in Anne Arundel County and one in Cecil County. Everyone remembers seeing it but no one has photos or remembers where it is located.

Available new & used on Amazon. Just ordered a "used - very good" hb copy, available with prime shipping from a 100% seller. 10 new, 41 used, 2 collectible still available:

https://www.amazon.com/Weird-Maryla...feature_browse-bin:2656020011,p_85:2470955011

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    A scaled down house would not pass inspection or get a Usage and Occupancy permit.

I can imagine a group of midgets and circus folk buying houses in the same neighborhood, but they would be normal scale houses.

The 1980s weren't very long ago, either.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    A scaled down house would not pass inspection or get a Usage and Occupancy permit.

I can imagine a group of midgets and circus folk buying houses in the same neighborhood, but othey would be normal scale houses.

The 1980s weren't very long ago, either.

These homes were built long before the 80's. I would say early 1950s.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

I can imagine a group of midgets and circus folk buying houses in the same neighborhood, but they would be normal scale houses.

You can certainly build 'adaptive housing'. I have a relative who, while genetically normal, is a bit height challenged at 4'5". Her husband isn't particularly tall either at 5'2". When they built a home, a couple of items were designed to fit their physical size. Kitchen counters, sink etc. are at a height comfortable for her and the oven is basically mounted to the floor. Also, the master bathroom has fixtures set to scale. Many of the windows extend to the floor, but that's simply an architectural feature you may find in other contemporary homes. The rest of the house is 'normal' and if they ever plan to sell it, a kitchen and master bath remodel would remove most of the adaptive features.

Dsnyder

MDS Supporter
    Jun 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    Tall Oaks had a great fried hard crab, no midgets that I remember. Maybe they were in the batter??? :confused:

I remember my last fried hard crab at tall oaks. My oldest daughter was two years old and they brought out a high chair that must have been in use since the 60's. Must have been 1999 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom