• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 4, 2017
    I've been looking into building an 80% handgun and am curious as to what's out there. I've seen the Glock kits at Polymer80, but is there anything else out there? Something that wouldn't be too much of a challenge for the first time. What have y'all done and how much did it cost ya? I'm a little foggy on what legislation is for these so any info to keep me out of jail would be great. Thanks

~Sledgehammer

crashmore

Dec 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I've been looking into building an 80% handgun and am curious as to what's out there. I've seen the Glock kits at Polymer80, but is there anything else out there? Something that wouldn't be too much of a challenge for the first time. What have y'all done and how much did it cost ya? I'm a little foggy on what legislation is for these so any info to keep me out of jail would be great. Thanks

~Sledgehammer

The Glock kits are easy and a good place to start. You can finish the whole lower with hand files. They turn out really nice if you tak your time and use descent parts to finish it. There are some things I like better about the p80 frames over my actual glocks.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

~Sledgehammer

I have seen 1911 and Sig 229/226 kits at shows. I have no idea if they are more challenging than the glock kits. They do come with jigs for drilling and guides to cut the rails, but they are aluminum so it would take a bit more effort than the poly based kits at least.

Nat7015

Nov 11, 2016
    I did a 1st gen polymer80 with an Advantage Arms 22LR upper. Only needed to mod the slide stop lever a bit to get it to catch, worked flawlessly the first time out.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Not out yet but advertising a mix between the p80 and a 1911.

Basically took p80 v2.0 and used the front and rear inserts for frame rails and are going to use a polymer grip.
    http://liberty1911.com

Or there is the p320 vendor called jsdsupply just recently came out with

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you want to start with a first build in a handgun, the Polymer80 is the easiest to do, by far, with no precious tooling and equipment. It gets a little more serious from there, but the 80% Glocks are really simple when you get right down to it as compared to doing a Sig or 1911 pistol. I have done the Sig, the 1911 is on my list as well.

Oct 4, 2017
    The Glock kits are easy and a good place to start. You can finish the whole lower with hand files. They turn out really nice if you tak your time and use descent parts to finish it. There are some things I like better about the p80 frames over my actual glocks.
    Thanks for the info! Do you know if I need to have it registered?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Thanks for the info! Do you know if I need to have it registered?
    No, as mentioned earlier, as long as you are legally able to own the handgun, you are currently permitted to build it for your own use, no registration is needed.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    I have seen 1911 and Sig 229/226 kits at shows. I have no idea if they are more challenging than the glock kits. They do come with jigs for drilling and guides to cut the rails, but they are aluminum so it would take a bit more effort than the poly based kits at least.

I built a Stealth Arms 1911. The aluminum is pretty easy to work with. Not a lot of effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom