• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I'd like to have a discussion about legal concealed carry either on your person versus in a bag that you carry with you. By on your person I mean in a holster next to your body (i.e. waistband covered by a shirt/jacket)

This is the bag I'm considering getting: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/FATBOY-VERSIPACK-4p31.htm

On your person pros:

1) never have to worry about forgetting your bag somewhere. If you left your bag at a restaurant with a loaded gun, someone were to find it and use the gun could you be liable?

2) More accessible. Faster time to reach for your gun if the encounter comes before you can unzip and then reach into your bag.

3) More concealable if you have a smaller gun.

On your person cons:

1) more uncomfortable for IWB, OWB would sacrifice concealability.

In a bag pros:

1) Only other CCW'ers and LEOs will think a man carrying a bag has a gun. Everyone else will think your just European. So I think this is a plus to concealability.

2) Bag can be used for other things at the same time (i.e. loaded magazines, diapers, water bottle, cell phone, mace, etc..)

3) For some encounters it could be more accessible. If the situation were to happen where you could unzip but not reach or reach in the bag with your hand on it but not pull out. This would make it more accessible without revealing you have a gun until you actually need to use it.

In a bag cons:

1) leaving your bag or having someone steal it. If you go to a restaurant and take it off someone could swipe it quick and run.

We do much of our shopping and visiting friends in PA where I can legally carry with my UT permit. One of the reasons I don't carry at every opportunity now there is I have a larger framed pistol which does get uncomfortable after a while. I know I can mitigate that with a better holster or smaller gun but it's still going to be an issue. A bag would make that easier. Also, when we go shopping I am with my wife and she is always asking me to hold crap, like her cell phone, water bottle, etc. The dual-purpose of the bag would help.

Does anyone else primarily CCW in a bag or am I just making too big an issue out of this?

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I primarily carry on the body, but I have a Fatboy that I use sometimes.....usually in the summer when I'm wearing shorts/t-shirts and I need to run to the grocery store or something. The bag is great for a wallet, spare ammo, etc. and my .38 fits in there perfectly.

Just remember that the bag needs to stay with you, and you will be fine.

gdubyacobb

Mar 6, 2009
    Patagonia Arizona
    When we head to my mother-in-law's for dinner I toss my pistol in a small north face messenger bag just to meet her half way on her feeling about people carrying guns. I leave it where i can get to it if i should ever have to.
    (Our little town sees some sort of drug bust by CBP at least once a week and the CBP trucks roll down each street a couple times a day. We are about 10 miles from the border as the crow flies, i figure its a matter of time before something violent happens here.)
    That said, the rest of the time i carry a 92fs at about 8 o'clock in a IWB kydex holster. I have been using it daily for two years and find it very comfortable.
    I'd recommend it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    owb, dark shirt with loose dark shirt/ jacket over it. Crossbreed snapslide. Extremely comfortable and concealable with a full-sized p99. If i'm in control of a loaded gun, i want it stuck to my side where i know no other hands will be on it. I also like that I can use it under 2 seconds if i need it. Iwb might be more concealable...but i've never had a problem with anyone noticing mine when dressed appropriately.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    The bag will draw attention. Not everyday you see a male wearing a purse... And when I do, I think one of two things 1) he wishes he was a woman 2) he has a gun in there.

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    +1 for always having on your body. Not only does the bag look out of place but it can very easily be stolen or make the gun inaccessible (as you mentioned in your cons list). Personally I am a 5'6" guy who carries a full size double stack 1911 when I am out of state in a Crossbreed Super Tuck Holster. I am not used to carrying all the time as I spend most of my time in MD but this Christmas for 4 days I had it on me when ever I was not sleeping, and had no discomfort and the rest of my family did not know I had it on me. I recommend having a quality holster and a good belt over a bag.

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I agree with Biggie: it's unusual when a guy is wearing one, so people will likely notice it; and I always assume if a guy is wearing one, there's a gun in it. Just something to keep in mind when making your decision.

lasher9999

May 31, 2010
    Jacksonville, md
    I agree with Biggie: it's unusual when a guy is wearing one, so people will likely notice it; and I always assume if a guy is wearing one, there's a gun in it. Just something to keep in mind when making your decision.

I agree with whats been said about carrying on you instead of in a bag. However, one approach to carrying in a bag is to put a label on the bag for a camera brand (Cannon, Nikon, etc). It will change people's assumptions. Unfortunately, it simultaneously makes the bag even more of a target for theft.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I carry on my person. For the summer months my LCP in a wallet holster is great. I usually wear cargo shorts, but tend to carry in my back pocket. You just have to make sure the pocket is deep enough to conceal the gun.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I carry in a bag mostly because I prefer to carry a large auto and several reloads. While I CAN carry and conceal well with a Dual Mag Pouch and Belt Holster, they arent as comfortable. I can access my weapon much easier in my vehicle from the bag. It sits in the console area but it still attached to me if I exit the vehicle.

I carry lots of other items in my Maxpedition Fatboy such as 4 reloads, portable Droid battery charger, water, medicine, gunshot kit, ect......

While I may be more noticable I have yet to have a LEO ask to check my bag or a dirtbag target me.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    owb, dark shirt with loose dark shirt/ jacket over it. Crossbreed snapslide. Extremely comfortable and concealable with a full-sized p99. If i'm in control of a loaded gun, i want it stuck to my side where i know no other hands will be on it. I also like that I can use it under 2 seconds if i need it. Iwb might be more concealable...but i've never had a problem with anyone noticing mine when dressed appropriately.

This, twice a day and three times on Sunday. I've seen two guns stolen from co-workers off duty. One female officer had her purse stolen out of her car when she was pumping gas. The other was a Lt that had his backpack stolen at knifepoint. In neither case was the robber likely aware that they were getting a gun, they wanted the wallet.

Dec 6, 2011
    I carry on my person. For the summer months my LCP in a wallet holster is great. I usually wear cargo shorts, but tend to carry in my back pocket. You just have to make sure the pocket is deep enough to conceal the gun.

+1 The most comfortable rig with the easiest presentation in all weather.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I finally lived the dream. Wife got me a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack for xmas. Last week I received the CCW velcro insert for it. Last Sunday I carried in PA on my UT permit with my new man-purse slung over my shoulder. My wife said I looked like I was going hiking. Went to Paneras then grocery shopping. It was so much more comfortable to carry in the bag then my IWB Galco holster. I was surprised though how many people noticed and were looking at me funny. I tried to look as hipster as possible wearing a long sleeve untucked collard shirt with sleeves partially rolled up. Everywhere we went I didn't see any other male wearing any kind of bag. I did stick out. Maybe I'll go back to my IWB. I have a Crossbreed supertuck on order. We are meeting friends tomorrow eve in PA so going to try again and see how they respond.

Here is a picture of the bag and how the gun is supposed to sit in it.

0412k_6_detail.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom