• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Wife is going a week to Dallas for training and I am joining her later in the week. I have a valid UT permit, recognized by The Republic. I also have a TSA approved lockbox for my firearm. I will be flying there on commercial airline.

The question is should I transport and carry while there?

I will be there for a few nights. My problem is TX actually has fairly restrictive CCW rules. Here's a few that might pertain to me:

• Place of business that derives >= 51% of income from alcohol on premises consumption
    • any grounds or bulding on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted...public or private
    • Licensed hospital
    • Any public or private premise that has a proper "no guns" sign.

source: http://handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

There are others but these are the ones that I may have issue with unknowingly. How would I know if where I am is a school sponsored event? What if we go to a public park and they happen to be doing an event there? What if we have to go to a hospital in an emergency? What if I miss a "no guns" sign which they do have the force of law in TX? How would I know how much a particular restaurant makes in revenue from alcohol? What if we are out with her co-workers and they want to go to a bar and I'm carrying. I have to decline or disarm?

Also, I don't know of any attorney's in TX, so what if an event happens and I don't have a lawyer to call?

I realize that I suffer from BGOS and I am probably paranoid about this but I don't want to unknowingly break a law in The Republic that I am not familiar with. I was really surprised that TX had so many restrictions. I thought firearms were required in TX.

Another question I have is about transporting ammo. Can I transport that in my checked baggage? Or should I purchase there? So far I've only ever legally CCW'ed where I have driven to myself to States that have few restrictions.

So would you given my situation?

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    If one goes to the trouble of obtaining a carry permit, why not carry? I have six permits, have applied for a seventh and am anxiously awaiting the day I can carry here in my home state. Crime is where you find it.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I can give MY OPINION of the bar thing, for what it's worth.

A bar that sells food is a no-go
    A restaurant that sells booze should be OK

This is only my opinion, as the only way to verify percentages of income would be an audit of the books.

I too have had a permit to carry (Florida) and have never once carried in public. I can agree with the comment about concealed meaning nobody knows. But, if you have the gun and need to use it, your life could change forever. Just look at the Florida thing going on right now, the court of Public Opinion is more powerful than any Police dept. So I too can see the need to be completely within the law at all times.
    Maybe this is why I have never carried?

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If it were me, I would carry. Avoid bars that serve food and enjoy restaurants that serve alcohol. A proper no guns sign would be prominent and not easily missed. If you go to a park and see school buses, you really don't want to be in that park anyhow. I would also guess that if you are the patient in the hospital there is some protocol to handle this situation. Relax, enjoy your trip, and protect your family.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    No reason not to. The flight part is easy and there are some great threads about it around here.

Good work on your Texas research. When I was in Memphis we went to Beale street and they had signs everywhere saying No Guns (on Beale St.). We just casually walked back to the hotel for a minute and then went and had dinner.

The nice part about Texas is many places have signs that say something along the lines of "legal carry is allowed". I loved it.

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    Crime is where it finds you.

FTFY, no reason to go looking for it.

To the OP do it. There's no reason not too. No better feeling than being able to exercise your constitutional rights. I bet you find it odd for the first day, and you'll end up finding yourself looking for places and situations to stay away from.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Is that the guy who represents the two youts?

Excuse me, did you say "youts"?

Herman_Munster_001.jpg

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    FTFY, no reason to go looking for it.

Agree, it's a cardinal rule. Yet, almost daily people being interviewed speak about living in a "good community" where this or that is seldom if ever seen.

I meant to convey the message to expect the unexpected, and that I carry wherever legally permitted to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom