Good AR hybrid bullet for plinking/hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Hi,

I'm messing around with my RRA Varmint A-4 (20" 1:8 twist) and had developed a good short range load with a 65 grain Sirerra Gameking on 25 grains of Varget. Now, I want to develop a load with more of a "VLD" type "hybrid" if one exists and I want to be able to load it to mag length.

Any suggestions on bullets (VLD or otherwise) would be appreciated. I'd kind of like to stay on the heavier side to buck the wind if I can. In addition, if you have a configuration like this and can recommend a powder/powders, I'd appreciate it. I figure I'll be getting into compressed load territory with this but I'm told it's not out of the ordinary - just wanna be safe.

Thanks!

ST.243

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have you looked at Lapua Scenars? 69gr and 77gr. They ain't exactly plinking bullets(not cheap), but they fly real well.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If you are still looking in the "plinking price category"
    Nosler makes a plastic tipped "varmageddon" bullet that fills a gap for me when looking between cheap bulk 10 cent FMJ and a 26 cent SMK.

After I eat up all the cheap Xtreme FMJs I'm starting on those noslers again as my cheap plinker bullets.
    I found them to be decent accuracy and inexpensive. I think even Basspro had them for $17/box 100. You can get them for less in larger quantities sometimes if you get free shipping.
    These however are the 55gr ones. I thought I saw heavier ones before, but expect them a little more $.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Mag length I load 69 great nosler custom comps. With discounted cabelas gift cards (eBay) and buying when they're on sale I can get them for 14 cents a bullet or so. Not going to get much better than that. But if you really want to get th best buy 70 or 75 great Berger VLD and work up a load. Some of the best bullets made today, hands down.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you are still looking in the "plinking price category"
    Nosler makes a plastic tipped "varmageddon" bullet that fills a gap for me when looking between cheap bulk 10 cent FMJ and a 26 cent SMK.

After I eat up all the cheap Xtreme FMJs I'm starting on those noslers again as my cheap plinker bullets.
    I found them to be decent accuracy and inexpensive. I think even Basspro had them for $17/box 100. You can get them for less in larger quantities sometimes if you get free shipping.
    These however are the 55gr ones. I thought I saw heavier ones before, but expect them a little more $.

The tipped Varmageddon bullets are flat based 55gr bullets. They are my most accurate bullets I've loaded to date for my 20" 1:9 AR. I load hundreds of them. :thumbsup:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The tipped Varmageddon bullets are flat based 55gr bullets. They are my most accurate bullets I've loaded to date for my 20" 1:9 AR. I load hundreds of them. :thumbsup:

I have shot a number of these also, though not in .223, but rather in .204. They shoot extremely well in my rifle. And assuming that "hunting" means groundhogs and such, they are more than capable on the terminal end. They are definitely worth a look and they represent a real bargain at the price IMO.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Thanks for the comments guys. I was on Midway looking at these offerings (i.e., Scenar, Varmageddon, Nosler Custom comp, Berger, etc.). I guess I would have to revise my OP objective of "plinking" to have more emphasis on the hunting end (groundhogs, fox, etc., with possible crop damage duty). That said, I am willing to spend a bit more but still want mag length capability and 60+ grains in weight. Looks like a 70 grain Accubond might be a good choice if I can find them.

I was getting around 2,830 fps out of the 65 grain SMK - sub MOA accuracy but a heluva lot more drop than I expected out at 300 yards. I'm hoping one of these slippier bullets will flatten things out.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have had good luck with the 75gr hornady. They can be had at a good price too if you buy in bulk. The best hunting bullet that I have found for cheap is pulled federal fusions from rmr.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Not sure why Mag length is so important. Go with the 62gr Varmageddons.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-224-diameter-62-grain-hollow-point-flat-base

Thanks. By loading to "mag length" I just want to make sure that the finished product will function well in a standard mag, as I'm not wanting to have to feed them one at a time. I've been seating stuff with about .03" clearance from the tip to the inside of the mag and it seems to work well. I'm just wondering about how deep some of these "VLD" bullets will have to be seated and how much case capacity they will eat up in the process (if seated to mag length). So to summarize, what I want is the best compromise between a good "VLD-ish" hunting bullet that I can seat to mag length and still have the case capacity to push it hard enough for the flattest trajectory.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks. By loading to "mag length" I just want to make sure that the finished product will function well in a standard mag, as I'm not wanting to have to feed them one at a time. I've been seating stuff with about .03" clearance from the tip to the inside of the mag and it seems to work well. I'm just wondering about how deep some of these "VLD" bullets will have to be seated and how much case capacity they will eat up in the process (if seated to mag length). So to summarize, what I want is the best compromise between a good "VLD-ish" hunting bullet that I can seat to mag length and still have the case capacity to push it hard enough for the flattest trajectory.
    As long as you're not exceding 2.260, you're gtg. Don't be afraid to play with seating depths as long as you start low and work your way up keeping an eye out for pressure signs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom