• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Seems like an odd nostalgic cash grab.

Most of the originals sell for between $2-3K on Gunbroker, so a reissue should be less than that price. But how can they make a Colt Custom hand fitted/hand polished pistol for under $2k?

For that money, I would rather have an original.

It does seem that way. And I wonder about the longer term viability of the market. I assume this is boomer driven. But then again, SW seems to be having some success with the nostalgia play. They keep adding revolvers to what they make available in their "Classic" series. They added the Model 19 to the series not too long ago.

I do agree that all eyes will be on price with Colt's Python release. But also on quality.
    This release is going to be extremely tough for Colt I think. Historically, Colt has been able to build quality, but they have never been able to do it at a truly competitive price point. With the Python being the pinnacle of Colt quality, the risk I think is that they may try to do both, and may in the end accomplish neither. We'll see.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Word is the MSRP for the new Python will be $1400-$1500...but who knows what the scalpers will ask. Colt botched the 2017 introduction of the new Cobra...production fell behind demand for a couple of reasons. They did much better with the intro of the new King Cobra...few if any shortages and quality was commensurate with asking prices. Hopefully Colt does just as well with the new Python...insiders confirm there are no MIM parts...super action and performance is equal to the original Python. We'll find the truth out once they hit the streets and shooters get to wring them out.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    But then again, SW seems to be having some success with the nostalgia play.

And also HK (SP5). Everything old is new again.

People want the classics. Some demand is driven by video game and movies/television (Walking Dead), but the fact is that many of the classics are much better than the crap on the market.

Now if SW would only get rid of the Clinton hole...

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Word is the MSRP for the new Python will be $1400-$1500...but who knows what the scalpers will ask. Colt botched the 2017 introduction of the new Cobra...production fell behind demand for a couple of reasons. They did much better with the intro of the new King Cobra...few if any shortages and quality was commensurate with asking prices. Hopefully Colt does just as well with the new Python...insiders confirm there are no MIM parts...super action and performance is equal to the original Python. We'll find the truth out once they hit the streets and shooters get to wring them out.

I'll be keeping an eye on that too, happy to hold-off until supply and price stabilize.

Firsthand reports from regular folks (non-industry types) lucky enough to get their hands on one do, indeed, report that the DA and SA trigger-pull is comparable to the original Python. That's encouraging. I wonder which writer/publication will get the honor of publishing the first range report?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

What goes around...comes around! I guess Colt must've finally realized that they weren't making enough $ on military contract AR's and someone got the bright idea that, just maybe, it would be a good time to stop neglecting the market that had been driving the value of their old wheel guns up for decades. It's not rocket science, although, it sure seemed like it took Colt a long time to come to that conclusion and get its head out of its butt.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013

People want the classics. Some demand is driven by video game and movies/television (Walking Dead), but the fact is that many of the classics are much better than the crap on the market.

Now if SW would only get rid of the Clinton hole...

Yep! Better even with the Hillary hole, in many instances. But that's another discussion.

I too hope that Colt can nail this release.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I wonder which writer/publication will get the honor of publishing the first range report?

I think the next issues of gun magazines will have the new Python on their cover. Distributors are supposed to release the Pythons beginning January 2nd so I would think that will coincide with the February or March magazines hitting the news stands. Gun writers would have had to have new Pythons to test out several months ago to get photographs and range reports articles written, edited and the magazines published to distribute at the same time of release.

That's what happened with the Colt Cobra in 2017...the gun writers were pretty much sworn to secrecy until a certain date.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013

That's an MSRP that a lot of people are going to be able to live with. That's half the battle. And they mention frame strength testing with 12,000 rounds of full bore .357 and today's improved steel, though my first thought there drifted toward timing.
    Will be interesting to see what they've built once the Python hits the shops.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    This could drive me to get my HQL.

I see that Colt has MD listed as one of 3 restricted states, is this just because it has not been submitted to the handgun roster board yet?

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    This could drive me to get my HQL.

I see that Colt has MD listed as one of 3 restricted states, is this just because it has not been submitted to the handgun roster board yet?

Look at the MD Handgun Roster. It just says "Colt Python - all models" I might be missing something, but I don't see why they can't sell these now. The Colt website just calls it the python.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've had a 2 1/2" and 4" barreled Pythons for years...I guess I'll have to get a 6" to round out the set (not interested in 8" guns and the 3" is too far outta my price range). But I won't pay over MSRP...that's simply crazy.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    When the frenzy settles and these settle to "normal" prices, they should be around $1200 which is an awesome price point assuming decent quality. What do you think this will do to the values of older Pythons??

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When the frenzy settles and these settle to "normal" prices, they should be around $1200 which is an awesome price point assuming decent quality. What do you think this will do to the values of older Pythons??

My opinion only but I think there will be a two-tiered pricing for Pythons depending on whether they were the new Python as long as they're in production and the original Pythons which are no longer produced. It will be similar to M1 Garands and Carbines...correct, original guns vs. reimported examples with the import marks on them.

There will be variations in condition, finish, barrel length and dates of production for values of the originals but essentially they will hold higher values than the new Python.

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    oDE61vy.jpg

But will it be anywhere near as good as the original? That's the question!

According to a person on another forum, they will be stainless with forged internals.

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/handguns/599009-new-colt-pythons.html

I'd rather have a Ruger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom