How I got into Full Auto Cheap but still have a nice gun!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    damn this doesnt help my recent thoughts on selling the firehawk for guns. ive really been thinking about selling the car but i'd def have to get something FA to replace my baby and "investment".

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I have a MAX-11 as well. Total package was about $5k after all the Lage upgrades (and I mean ALL of them). Add another $1k for the suppressor. Still need to get an EOTech sight....

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have a MAX-11 as well. Total package was about $5k after all the Lage upgrades (and I meant ALL of them). Add another $1k for the suppressor. Still need to get an EOTech sight....

I replaced the Eotech on mine with a Docter sight. It cut down on the weight and eliminated " bleeding fingers". The Eotech gets in the way of the charging handle. The extended one is Okay but tends to snag.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I replaced the Eotech on mine with a Docter sight. It cut down on the weight and eliminated " bleeding fingers". The Eotech gets in the way of the charging handle. The extended one is Okay but tends to snag.

I was going to mention the extended one before I finished reading your message. Snag, eh? How so? Which EOtech were you using? Perhaps I can save my money now. The iron sights are very good and the gun is pretty damn accurate.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I was using a 551 on it. I have switched recently to a Docter sight. 1913mount. That gives an absolute co- witness configuration with the Max-11 iron sights. I have also mounted it on the rearmost position of the rail as to clear the charging handle. It is lightweight and does not upset the silhouette of the gun. It is also just as fast as the Eotech.

I have a Leupold Delta Dot on order. I think that is much better than the Docter due to its triangular reticle. The Point can be used for longer range shots.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I was using a 551 on it. I have switched recently to a Docter sight. 1913mount. That gives an absolute co- witness configuration with the Max-11 iron sights. I have also mounted it on the rearmost position of the rail as to clear the charging handle. It is lightweight and does not upset the silhouette of the gun. It is also just as fast as the Eotech.

I have a Leupold Delta Dot on order. I think that is much better than the Docter due to its triangular reticle. The Point can be used for longer range shots.

Do you think the EOLad model will be a bit uncomfortable to use?

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    The laser on the Eolad is mounted on the left side of the sight. The same place as the MAX-11s charging handle. I dont own an Eolad but think that it would be in the way.

Yeah....I noticed that it was on the charging side....that's damn unfortunate. It will save me $700 though. I wish I could find a unit just to test on there to be certain.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I think you have one of everything!

I have a similar set-up that use for subgun matches. It is a good set-up. much better than other slow-fire conversions.

However, It does require hotter ammo. I have problems with WWB, My gun prefers the cheaper WOLF.

I have compared the performance of the max-11 to other subguns like the UZI, Sterling, Sten, SW76.. I would say it is up to par with an UZI. A bit faster on reloads compared to an MP5 or Colt 635.

I agree with your post. SWD mac 11/9 upgraded with a LAGE Max-11 slowfire upper is a good set-up.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I have a similar set-up that use for subgun matches. It is a good set-up. much better than other slow-fire conversions.

However, It does require hotter ammo. I have problems with WWB, My gun prefers the cheaper WOLF.

I have compared the performance of the max-11 to other subguns like the UZI, Sterling, Sten, SW76.. I would say it is up to par with an UZI. A bit faster on reloads compared to an MP5 or Colt 635.

I agree with your post. SWD mac 11/9 upgraded with a LAGE Max-11 slowfire upper is a good set-up.

I put the MAX-11 on par with the MP5. While it certainly lacks the MP5's craftsmanship, it has been known to out shoot it in competitions. I've had no problems shooting 124g out of my gun. Nearly all problems related to the MAC are magazine issues. The gun is so simple that mechanical issues are few and far between.

The UZI's bolt can slap around quite a bit and it is nowhere near as customizable as the MAC. Generally speaking I prefer a closed bolt, but I've been very happy with my purchase.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I had mine converted to use Sten mags. They are hard to load but mags are cheap and plentiful.

The Lage upper is well built. The slower rate of fire allows you to keep the selector in SMG mode. Burst, double and single shot are possible in full auto. That was impossible to do with a stock M-11/9 with a cyclic rate of 1200 rpm

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Well I love my Eotech. The extended handle is ok with me. I would consider other sites too but I do love that Eotech. There are so many good options out there its kind of personal taste with none being bad. I think I like having that larger circle than just a dot. I also like having that larger view.

I would say a MP5 outclasses the Max11 but it certainly there with the UZI.

The mag problem can be solved with recon ordnance mags! All steal.

Of course I just got the DF (Dual Feed) conversion with Suomi mags. Thats an awesome conversion!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Well I love my Eotech. The extended handle is ok with me. I would consider other sites too but I do love that Eotech. There are so many good options out there its kind of personal taste with none being bad. I think I like having that larger circle than just a dot. I also like having that larger view.

Of course I just got the DF (Dual Feed) conversion with Suomi mags. Thats an awesome conversion!

Nothing wrong with the Eotech. It is just that I keep snagging the sides of the sight when charging the Lage. But that is me...my screw ups do not apply to everyone.

I'm going to have to give more attention to my Macs. The lage that I currently have is a bit too heavy with that steel suppressor. I need to streamline it a bit.
    A tactical bolt might be a good idea to speed it up a bit as well as shave some ounces.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD

How does it outclass outside of the build quality and the open vs. closed debate?

Not a fan of the RO mags. They need mag stops welded on and I lack a welder. The zytels work well if you upgrade them with Wolff UZI mag springs and steel feed lips.

Nothing wrong with the Eotech. It is just that I keep snagging the sides of the sight when charging the Lage. But that is me...my screw ups do not apply to everyone.

I'm going to have to give more attention to my Macs. The lage that I currently have is a bit too heavy with that steel suppressor. I need to streamline it a bit.
    A tactical bolt might be a good idea to speed it up a bit as well as shave some ounces.

I use the tactical bolt and it quite controllable. Thinking about moving to the speed bolt. What model suppressor do you have? The steel ones are quite heavy as I have an AWC 3-lug job.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I have all three bolts... if you want to test any, just let me know and I will make sure to bring them. I just got the DF speed bolt... I figured I better get them while I can.

I am not one to worry about weight. A BAR is fine... that FND is getting heavy! My MG08/15 is heavy!

Yeah I think the MP5 is just an all around better gun. Closed bolt is nice. Well made... I mean its just about the perfect sub gun. I think the biggest Max negative is the mags.

I am not rushing mag reloads so the lack of a stop is ok with me. However I do have a welder (spot and Tig). Plus I can sandblast and repark myself which makes it easy.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I have all three bolts... if you want to test any, just let me know and I will make sure to bring them. I just got the DF speed bolt... I figured I better get them while I can.

I am not one to worry about weight. A BAR is fine... that FND is getting heavy! My MG08/15 is heavy!

Yeah I think the MP5 is just an all around better gun. Closed bolt is nice. Well made... I mean its just about the perfect sub gun. I think the biggest Max negative is the mags.

I am not rushing mag reloads so the lack of a stop is ok with me. However I do have a welder (spot and Tig). Plus I can sandblast and repark myself which makes it easy.

The MP5 is a beautiful gun but its cost and is at least five times that of a MAC and the benefits are negligible.

The mags are, without a doubt, the biggest negative. For some reason, no one has ever bothered to get in the business of making quality steel mags.

I've shot MP5s and while I could have purchased one, I decided I'd rather have a MAX-11 and an M-16 over an MP5.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    The MP5 is a beautiful gun but its cost and is at least five times that of a MAC and the benefits are negligible....MP5s and while I could have purchased one, I decided I'd rather have a MAX-11 and an M-16 over an MP5.

No doubt! If the guns were priced at the Non-government restricted rate... say $500 for the M11 and $1500-$2000 for the MP5, I would go for the MP5. However you are correct that I don't think the MP5 is worth the price of a M16 more! However if it were priced about the same as the Uzi, I would probably go for the MP5.

I am waiting on a MG08/15 transfer and might be able to work out a deal for a MG08. I think a M16 will the next on the list. Now if we could just get Lage to take over that Shrike conversion!!!

Where do you shoot Abacab?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    That's actually the first "upgraded" MAC I've ever seen that I thought looked cool. I may have to go down the same road if I decide to buy a machine gun some day. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom