• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wardove

Jul 23, 2017
    Blairsville, GA
    Super redhawk in 454 or 460

I bought a 44 redhawk to use up there and then stumbled on an S prefix Smith which was just too slick to leave home without. Managed to get it home without rust by wiping it down well every day. However, felt naked with the 44 and as soon as I got home got the 454 Super Redhawk and feel I could handle any situation now. Spring kits help the Ruger triggers not be so crappy. Make sure you get good primer hits or go back to heavier springs and semi crappy trigger. 460 would give even heavier duty options of course.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For context, the Late Great Elmer Keith killed everything that walked, flew, or swam in North America with a .44 250gr SWC @ 1200fps . Including Grizzly and Polar Bears .

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    For context, the Late Great Elmer Keith killed everything that walked, flew, or swam in North America with a .44 250gr SWC @ 1200fps . Including Grizzly and Polar Bears .

Hmmm, not sure if it's true, but it's been said that every animal in North America has been killed with a 22 short and most are not Elmer Keith.

Then again, since I agree with you implication, I should stop being a smart-a$$. :)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Hmmm, not sure if it's true, but it's been said that every animal in North America has been killed with a 22 short and most are not Elmer Keith.

Then again, since I agree with you implication, I should stop being a smart-a$$. :)

Oh, there probably was someone back in the history books who succeeded in killing a grizzly with a 22 short.

The others who tried it were eaten of course.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Oh, there probably was someone back in the history books who succeeded in killing a grizzly with a 22 short.

The others who tried it were eaten of course.

That is why they made the 22lr!:lol2:

I have heard that all you really need is better running shoes than your hunting buddy.:innocent0

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    That is why they made the 22lr!:lol2:

I have heard that all you really need is better running shoes than your hunting buddy.:innocent0

...and a .22 short to shoot him in the knee.

Killing a bear with a 22 sounds like necessity, not choice.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The shoes won't matter if you carry a .22 or .25 and you can pop your buddy in the kneecap...then you can just walk away from the bear. Now...you have to make sure you're buddy isn't carrying a .22 or .25 in bear country. That could be bad for you.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Just saw this thread, so I don't know if you are still looking or made a purchase already, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

My wife wants us to start getting to the Tetons and Yellowstone as much as we can for backpacking and hiking trips. I did a lot of research and picked up a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 454 Casull - 45 Colt. This is what I'd recommend. There is also a 44 Mag version if you are dead set on 44.

a45cc5adb2cd1d3b962840d38c6d29da.jpg

With 300+ grain 454 casull bear loads the gun isn't my favorite, but it's manageable enough to shoot a full box of while at the range. These loads in a 2 1/2" barrel still deliver more energy than a hot 44 mag from a 4" barrel. Since the 454 Casull also handles 45 colt you can shoot light 45 cowboy action rounds all day long, they feel like a bit more than 22 but not a 9mm as far as recoil through this gun.

dad7bad1dfaa89fec797ec7c8303023d.jpg

If you are going to wear your gun in camp all the time you want it to be small and light, just like I was looking for when choosing a backpacking gun for grizzly country. If it's too big or too heavy you may not wear it all the time. I think the gun is exactly what you are looking for. This gun is what Alaskans begged Ruger to make for them, for the exact scenarios you are describing.

a3de7ed0b603c0e31abb99b3b8d2fe56.jpg

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Thanks SanMan, and thanks to all who posted info on this thread. I have a short-barrel .357, it's not my favorite to shoot. I opted for a S&W Model 629 in .44 Magnum with a 5 inch barrel. It is heavier for sure, but I got a Kenai Chest Holster and will be wearing it around MD to get accustomed to it. I will need to put the practice time in for sure. Shooting .44 Specials was pretty mellow, but when I switched to .44 Magnum loads it pointed out some kinks in my grip that I will work on.

I won't have any problem wearing the chest holster in camp, we fly in about 100 miles off of the road system by bush plane, and have had grizzlies run right past camp before. Have also seen moose and caribou right out the tent flap.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A tip to help develop good form with a heavy recoiling handgun. After you shoot magnum rounds, go back to Specials before ending the range sessions. That will help reveal any jerks, heels or riding recoil which may be covered up when shooting the heavy recoil producing ammunition.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    A tip to help develop good form with a heavy recoiling handgun. After you shoot magnum rounds, go back to Specials before ending the range sessions. That will help reveal any jerks, heels or riding recoil which may be covered up when shooting the heavy recoil producing ammunition.

Great suggestion. You also can only load ever other cylinder, rotate it so you don't know where the rounds are and fire double action. It is quite telling.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Great suggestion. You also can only load ever other cylinder, rotate it so you don't know where the rounds are and fire double action. It is quite telling.

I used to do that. When a round actually fired, I would unlock and spin the cylinder and reclose it without looking at it. Cock and pull the trigger, repeat until a shot is fired. I would do this until all six chamber fired. You would be surprised how long six rounds of 44 Magnum can last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom