• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    My parents and in-laws are getting up there in age and they’ve both indicated that they want to own firearms. Neither have ever owned any but with crime on the rise they feel like easy targets and know they have little choice but to arm themselves to have a chance to survive whatever situation arises. So, they asked me for advise.

My mind immediately jumped to a 357 revolver and lever action rifle combo allowing them to shoot both 38 and 357 ammunition. But before making that recommendation I wanted to know what everyone else is thinking.

My parents are in their late 70s my in-laws in their early 80s with no medical issues.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    How is their vision? Near Sighted? Far Sighted?
    When you talk about a handgun: how do they handle recoil?
    How is their hand coordination? They are going to need some kind of quick access safe.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    My parents and in-laws are getting up there in age and they’ve both indicated that they want to own firearms. Neither have ever owned any but with crime on the rise they feel like easy targets and know they have little choice but to arm themselves to have a chance to survive whatever situation arises. So, they asked me for advise.

My mind immediately jumped to a 357 revolver and lever action rifle combo allowing them to shoot both 38 and 357 ammunition. But before making that recommendation I wanted to know what everyone else is thinking.

My parents are in their late 70s my in-laws in their early 80s with no medical issues.

357 revolver?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    AR-15. Effective, low recoil, easy to operate, less over-penetration than slower, heavier rounds.

My 80 year old mother shoots one just fine.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    12 or 20ga shotgun, possibly with reduced recoil loads. Possibky a youth model depending on stature. Less aiming issues with aging eyes, easier to work than the DA pull on a j-frame.

Or an AR. ergonomic, easy to operate, low recoil, reliable.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    It's a tough call here but I would say they want something like EZ Shield in 380 ACP. Ammo is expensive for some reason when it comes to 380 ACP.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    One may think about failing vison. Is this for carry or bedside? One may think more of a shotgun although recoil would be a concern.

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    How is their vision? Near Sighted? Far Sighted?
    When you talk about a handgun: how do they handle recoil?
    How is their hand coordination? They are going to need some kind of quick access safe.

Their vision is good, mental acuity is good, mother in law has mild arthritis. Yes, will be buying them a quick access safe.

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    One may think about failing vison. Is this for carry or bedside? One may think more of a shotgun although recoil would be a concern.

Bed side / self defense. Carry only if shyt literally hits the proverbial fan.

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    It's a tough call here but I would say they want something like EZ Shield in 380 ACP. Ammo is expensive for some reason when it comes to 380 ACP.

Agreed, that’s why I was thinking 357, use 38s but have option to shoot something heavier. Revolver easy to load, easy to operate.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    I would think a SBR or PCC is probably easiest to shoot. Low recoil, point shoot friendly, higher mag capacity than a revolver. If they are concerned about appearance of the tool, they made the wrong decision to buy anything, imo.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Why does everybody shy away from the venerated Claymore? One simple wire is all it takes.

Seriously, willingness and capability are two major considerations. Not everybody can or will employ a firearm. Even when they know they should.

My own Pop couldn’t rack a slide or pull a double action (admittedly stiff @12#) on a revolver in his old age. He’d been an AllAmerican and fighter pilot and bouncer.

I’m thinking not a 12g or a 357. Maybe a nice G19 with a 3-5# trigger and one already chambered…

It’s my humble opinion that the uninitiated will not fare well lighting off a wheel gun or shottie in the house/enclosed small room never mind at night.

YMMV

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I would shy away from shotguns and pistols.

A pcc (ruger-rifle type, or AR-9) would be quieter than an AR-15.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I would also recommend the 9mm carbine idea. Very low recoil and lightweight. The Ruger PCC is a good choice. Put a large and easy to see red dot sight on it. Grab some high capacity glock mags for it(magpuls are good and cheap).

Then if they want a handgun still, a Glock 17 or 19 becomes a no brainer since you have mags and ammo.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Personally I think you can’t go wrong with a Glock 19.

Many people in that age group have grip issues and can't rack a slide, and have difficulty pointing a handgun.

Even if they don't have issues now, they might develop them soon.

I agree with the PCC, 20g, or AR options, depending upon their familiarity and preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom