Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    Anyone hunted here? If so what, deer rabbit, squirrel? thanks

James

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Lotsa people hunt there during deer rifle season, not too bad during bow season and for squirrels. Gotta be careful, hikers and mountain bikers also use the Watershed, so be sure of the area behind your target.

I hunted there a little in the early 80s, don;t hunt there anymore, but did drive thru one day during deer season a few years back.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    i havent hunting there in years, actually i forgot all about that place. if i never had any luck with dear hunting there back in the day.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Been there once for deer season...Looked like a sea of orange moving thru the woods. The way most folks were cutting thru the woods the deer were long gone. Noisy walking equals deer leaving long before they get into the woods.

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    Been there once for deer season...Looked like a sea of orange moving thru the woods. The way most folks were cutting thru the woods the deer were long gone. Noisy walking equals deer leaving long before they get into the woods.

When was this? and looking to rabbit hunt there too, thanks

James

Last edited:

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Bow, muzzleloader for deer only. Stay out of the woods for firearms. I had too many folks who were either tipsy or drunk yelling "there's one" when someone walked by.

There is a lot of territory and beautiful woods. you can find lots of varying terrain. I love it there. Squirrel hunting is great, haven't tried rabbits, but there is a lot of overgrown cutovers that would probably produce.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Jac43k, In the 90's...Deer Muzzloader and Firearm Seasons... Never went back!

I hunt private property now in Garrett County and occasionally in Carrol County...

Where are you looking to hunt and with what type of weapon for deer?

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    Jac43k, In the 90's...Deer Muzzloader and Firearm Seasons... Never went back!

I hunt private property now in Garrett County and occasionally in Carrol County...

Where are you looking to hunt and with what type of weapon for deer?

some place that not more then 2 hours away, I live in Baltimore City, just getting back into hunting, trained my dog this summer to hunt rabbits, so the big test is this Friday, I have a <shootgun> oops shotgun , AR.

James

Last edited:

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    some place that not more then 2 hours away, I live in Baltimore City, just getting back into hunting, trained my dog this summer to hunt rabbits, so the big test is this Friday, I have a shootgun, AR.

James

Shootguns are the best kind!!!:D

Good luck with the hunt!

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    jac43K You can try your luck with rabbit at the Patuxent River State Park on the Howard/Montgomery county line (western Howard County). PM me if you some directions. Lotta Brush along the river bottom and I have seen alot of rabbits when deer hunting there in the past. Easy place to find. Usually crowded during the deer firearms and muzzleloading seasons. Great for rabbit ands squirrel.

EddieB

Apr 1, 2009
    Frederick Co.
    The watershed is a vast area (about 7000 acre's if I recall correctly). I've had good luck squirrel hunting there for years, not so for deer. Deer season is rather crowded. I stopped deer hunting there the first day I ever tried.

The forest up there can be wide open with tall hardwoods or extremely thick with heavy underbrush.

I've had mountain bikers and hikers cross my hunt during the early season. At that time of the year I try to hunt away from their trails. After the weather turns, they seems to be much less plentifull.

I suggest you take a day and do some scouting. Most of the bikers/hikers I've encountered have been in the Hamburg Rd area. The further back into the forest you go, the better.

I've bagged squirrel at just about every location I've hunted up there, however, some locations are better than others.

A word of caution, though. Snow and ice will remain in certain locations much longer up there than down in the low-lands. There are areas where the sun doesn't shine for very long and when the temps are near or at freezing, the ice never softens. Also, I've driven up to the top and encounterd fresh snow just on the upper portion. When we begin to get winter type weather, 1000 ft can mean the difference between snow and no snow.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom