• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    So I recently received some guns that were my uncle's and came across this. I know the Navy did some 308 conversions to their M1 Garands but no clue if this is one or an after market. As my uncle has Alzheimer's he is no help so here I am! It's a original Springfield Armory 1.7 million serial number receiver. I included some pictures below. Any insight is definitely appreciated!
    2ebd379dd737b1a5126aea8dbf23d0e9.jpg
    566f4c0ccbf94209528f3f2e8c8e8133.jpg
    a00af29e175b42b37aaf636addc92c50.jpg
    b59181ca8f202a96043409999ce5120e.jpg
    09d50755a74b0fbe8b94899744e8544c.jpg
    ff4e4db56342cb53bf23be61269091f8.jpg
    1b3b5a5286dfcc86f7ebabaac9c19896.jpg
    5a15c7722d15b39caba853a3ae3e5530.jpg
    54dc22f17d7b80261c588d2bba3c6fc1.jpg
    81d269296d5be8d91c51a1c85f008c42.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Looks like a fairly typical aftermarket match conditioned M1 for NRA or CMP Service Rifle match. Laminate is more climate stable than solid wood.

Check if the handguards are unitized. If so, do not pick up the rifle by the handguards.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Post a pic of the rear sight, the windage knob will probably have NM on it. Looks to be a later .308 match build with what appears to be a Boyds stock. Probably a Douglas barrel. Should be a great shooting gun.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    It is not a Navy or military conversion.

It looks like a fairly well done accurized Garand for shooting service rifle matches. It is glass bedded and also appears to have the National Match sights. 308 Win. Garands are legal for those matches.

The barrel is a commercial item and dates from the mid-90's. The laminated stock also suggests that it was done in the last 25 years.

Many gunsmiths and other companies did this kind of work. In the 80's the NRA published articles on how to accurize your DCM M1 for high power rifle competition.

Today they are totally outclassed by AR15's for service rifle competition so accurizing Garands is kind of a fool's errand.

It's probably pretty accurate shooter but repeatedly disassembling it and reassembling will take the gilt edge off its performance.

In 2021 these rifles are kind of the orphans of the Garand world. Serious competitors don't shoot M1's, military collectors shun them, guys who like them tend to like building their own. National Match builds done by famous or well known smiths have some collector appeal. Most others are just really good shooters.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Looks like a fairly typical aftermarket match conditioned M1 for NRA or CMP Service Rifle match. Laminate is more climate stable than solid wood.

Check if the handguards are unitized. If so, do not pick up the rifle by the handguards.

National Match Garands normally have the upper handguards permanantly glued to the lower band. Never pick up the rifle by the upper (muzzle end) handguards. Avoid disassembling the rifle at all. Serious competitors may field strip the rifle once a year for cleaning.

This should be a great, fun shooter, but it is outclassed for serious competition. It's also not legal for CMP John C Garand matches, but may be allowed at informal club level shoots. It should be great for Vintage matches and other informal shoots.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2011/10/4/the-national-match-m1/

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Good looking rifle! I read about the accuracy of the 7.62 nato rifles built for competition on here somewhere.

Feb 28, 2013
    Dayum.... OPs rifle is one sexy beast :thumbsup:

I got a .308 garand too, noweheres near as purty as that one tho

Nice thing bout em is bein able to feed em off the shelf all day long with el cheapo ZQI 7.62x51 from Wallyworld, instead of havin to hunt down 150 gr .30-06

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It is not a Navy or military conversion.

It looks like a fairly well done accurized Garand for shooting service rifle matches. It is glass bedded and also appears to have the National Match sights. 308 Win. Garands are legal for those matches.

The barrel is a commercial item and dates from the mid-90's. The laminated stock also suggests that it was done in the last 25 years.

Many gunsmiths and other companies did this kind of work. In the 80's the NRA published articles on how to accurize your DCM M1 for high power rifle competition.

Today they are totally outclassed by AR15's for service rifle competition so accurizing Garands is kind of a fool's errand.

It's probably pretty accurate shooter but repeatedly disassembling it and reassembling will take the gilt edge off its performance.

In 2021 these rifles are kind of the orphans of the Garand world. Serious competitors don't shoot M1's, military collectors shun them, guys who like them tend to like building their own. National Match builds done by famous or well known smiths have some collector appeal. Most others are just really good shooters.

So, bummer.

But I can sympathise, so I'll give you a couple hundred for it; keeping it around will only make you sad.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    National Match Garands normally have the upper handguards permanantly glued to the lower band. Never pick up the rifle by the upper (muzzle end) handguards. Avoid disassembling the rifle at all. Serious competitors may field strip the rifle once a year for cleaning.

This should be a great, fun shooter, but it is outclassed for serious competition. It's also not legal for CMP John C Garand matches, but may be allowed at informal club level shoots. It should be great for Vintage matches and other informal shoots.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2011/10/4/the-national-match-m1/

They actually can be used for JCG Matches under the Unlimited M1 Garand category, but not many people do that. They’re also not eligible for the awards that as-issued shooters are.

https://thecmp.org/award-category/john-c-garand-unlimited-rifle/

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    So, bummer.

But I can sympathise, so I'll give you a couple hundred for it; keeping it around will only make you sad.

I'll top this offer with a box of .45 ammo and a Costco roasted chicken thrown in.

Seriously, it's a good rifle, and it would be a disappointment only to a collector who doesn't shoot guns, just looks at them. This rifle was built to be shot, so go shoot it at a local match or just for fun at the range.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    You guys in this community are an invaluable resource and I greatly appreciate the help. I have had a handful of Garands over the years but this was the first one in 308. This is one that will definitely get shot and won't be a safe queen.

I had a solid collection on my own but kept some of the guns from my uncle's collection that I knew I wouldn't come across everyday or be able to afford like his M1D, Swedish 41B, Colt Python, etc. I'm sure I will be back to bother you all when I start digging into those

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Charlie Maloney was building competition rifles just like that many years ago, there were quite a few floating around out there and they all shot lights out.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    When I went in the navy in 1968 were were issued the match grade 308 M1's. Shot them for 4 years qualifying expert each year until I transferred. We had M1's on the ship, but I don't remember if they were 308 or 30.06.
    The 308 were great rifles and I wish I had one now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom