• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirk911

May 10, 2011
    Church Hill
    Took the kids out for some plinking this weekend. My son is six and my daughter is nine. They were both hitting bottle caps at about 15 yards pretty consistent. My daughter never had much interest in shooting, but we talked her into shooting one shot onto a steel target. After that she wanted to keep right on plinking with a big ol smile and immediately started showing up my son with his own gun. They also seemed to enjoy spray painting the steel as much as they enjoyed hitting it with bullets lol. It was a good day!

Attachments

• 2EE41BC6-F6FF-44B2-B251-AE17FE1C73B2.jpeg
      2EE41BC6-F6FF-44B2-B251-AE17FE1C73B2.jpeg
      37.1 KB · Views: 435
    • 133920DB-6C5F-4E9A-9581-2B79B4DB4DC1.jpeg
      133920DB-6C5F-4E9A-9581-2B79B4DB4DC1.jpeg
      55.6 KB · Views: 427

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Amazing what a properly sighted in red dot can do, isn’t it? There’s nothing like early success to encourage young shooters.

dirk911

May 10, 2011
    Church Hill
    Amazing what a properly sighted in red dot can do, isn’t it? There’s nothing like early success to encourage young shooters.

Originally I thought that I would want them to learn with open sights and then make it easier but I have discovered that kids can get easily frustrated and lose interest quickly. So red dots to save the day lol.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    That's awesome, kudos to you!
    Taking kids shooting is a lot of fun. Seeing them overcome something that they were afraid of and then actually really enjoy it. Time well spent.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Awesome..
    I love taking/teaching kids to shoot.
    Don't forget to teach them how to use the irons.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Love the Rascal platform and looks like the kids had a great time. My daughter also finally showed an interest in learning so picked one up at Dick's right before they stopped carrying guns. Slapped on a rail and a Busnhell red-dot and it only took a few shots and it was on steel at 25 yards. Thinking of custom making a stock to add length of pull as she grows up and keep the same platform but same rifle.

dirk911

May 10, 2011
    Church Hill
    Good job, love teaching my grands to shoot now. What red dot is that?

It’s just a cheap bushnell. I honestly hate it because the batteries don’t last very long and it’s easy to forget to turn off. So on two occasions, we have pulled it out of the safe and it’s stone dead because we forgot to turn it back off after shooting lol. If I knew how many batteries I would go through I probably would have just got a nicer Holosun to put on there for them. Lol

dirk911

May 10, 2011
    Church Hill
    Love the Rascal platform and looks like the kids had a great time. My daughter also finally showed an interest in learning so picked one up at Dick's right before they stopped carrying guns. Slapped on a rail and a Busnhell red-dot and it only took a few shots and it was on steel at 25 yards. Thinking of custom making a stock to add length of pull as she grows up and keep the same platform but same rifle.

This is awesome! It’s great seeing kids legitimately enjoying firearms.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I miss the days when my kids would shoot with me, starting at about that age. Enjoy it, the years fly by before you even realize it.

bronco

Dec 14, 2020
    se Va
    I've got 8 and 7 year old grandsons at the house that have been on the Red Ryder for a while now. Recently switch to steel cans made them want up their trigger time a lot. They liked that more than a paper target on a box. I'll be at the single shot 22 step soon enough I think. Looks like your kids have a great time with it. Nice pics too.

dirk911

May 10, 2011
    Church Hill
    I've got 8 and 7 year old grandsons at the house that have been on the Red Ryder for a while now. Recently switch to steel cans made them want up their trigger time a lot. They liked that more than a paper target on a box. I'll be at the single shot 22 step soon enough I think. Looks like your kids have a great time with it. Nice pics too.

My kids enjoy the red ryders but they actually struggle to cock the levers on them each time they want to shoot. The .22 is perfect and super easy to use for them without any assistance. My son is only six years old and he’s doing great with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom