• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MD Groot

Nov 13, 2019
    Hello everybody,

My name is James. Have lived in the Pasadena area my whole life. Have been shooting with the Scouting program for years, but have been fortunate enough to now own a few of my own. I was recommended to the forum to be able to discuss some questions I have, and learn more along the way. Trying to figure out where the best place to post a question referring to safes would go.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Welcome (from entirely too close to the beltway).

On safes: if you use the search tool here you'll find many existing discussions, and it can get into the weeds pretty quickly since everyone comes at the topic from a different set of needs/issues, budget, etc. So while I do recommend a search using specific phrases (especially if your concern is about things like humidity control, or fireproof/resistance stuff that has had quite a bit of discussion over the years), it might indeed be quicker to just cut to the chase with a new thread that directly asks what you need to know. There will always be others who want to know the same things or have thoughts to contribute, so go for it. Thanks for introducing yourself - very sporting!

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for having the courtesy to introduce yourself.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Take a look at these helpful links – LOTS of amazing info!

FORUM RULES
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    Range Etiquette and Staying Safe

Admin News and Announcements

Gun Rights and Legislation

Industry Partners

MD Shooters Firearms Map

Acronym list[/FONT]

MD Groot

Nov 13, 2019
    I saw that! That was what I was going to ask about. I was first pointed towards Liberty, but its $800 for a 24 gun, when BJs has a 24 gun with door pocket for $299. Is the quality that much lower? Or is the Liberty overpriced? Thoughts?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I saw that! That was what I was going to ask about. I was first pointed towards Liberty, but its $800 for a 24 gun, when BJs has a 24 gun with door pocket for $299. Is the quality that much lower? Or is the Liberty overpriced? Thoughts?

The quality is worlds apart.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Welcome from Ellicott City.

A few years ago I was asking the same questions and I guess my take away was this:

1) Any safe is better than no safe or a simple locked room, drawer or cabinet. Especially true if you have small children in the house or even curious teens who like to borrow your stuff.

2) Start out bigger than you think you “think” you need.

3) Consider two small safes if you have different needs. For example maybe a tactical wall for the bedroom closet and a safe in the basement for everything else.

4) Cheap biometric locks sound cool but may take just as long to open or not open if the device is cheap. Consider a good old fashion combination dial. After a few weeks of opening you’ll get muscle memory and open it up in 3-4 seconds.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome !

The Depot would be a good place for a Safe thread .

I'm far from expert, but very oversimplified :

Any safe is better than no safe.

But the difference between cheap safes, and higher priced safes is primarily in two areas . Fire protection, and resistance to moderately skilled thieves .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom