What Bolt Gun to take to a Machine gun Shoot? I think I found one...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Are your rabbits using light armor ?

3196484ec85081e2117764cb002049be.gif

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    “Honey, Bambi’s Dad’s out in the woods. Get my deer rifle. No, the BIG deer rifle”

For those times the buck of a lifetime refuses to step out from behind that redwood tree.

I’d sure be careful with it. More you than it. I assume you’ve got a plan, but I’d include a recoil pad on your shoulder as well as making sure you’ve booked a chiropractor, a orthopedist and a massage therapist for the next day.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I’d sure be careful with it. More you than it. I assume you’ve got a plan, but I’d include a recoil pad on your shoulder as well as making sure you’ve booked a chiropractor, a orthopedist and a massage therapist for the next day.

I don't know why everyone gets all worried on this gun. No one says this kind of stuff on a 50 BMG rifle. Seriously guys, yeah its a real mans gun... but even that chick was shooting it in that video. My guess is you had some guys afraid of it in WWI and did not put in on their shoulder. Then it thumped them and broke their collar bone. Well... on any high power gun, you have to hold it correctly or you eat a scope or hurt yourself...

I am not to worried about it!

I am much more concerned about putting that kind of load on a 101 year old gun with a Mismatched bolt. Now that is concerning and I will be taking the proper steps to make sure things are safe there. I might even shoot it the first time on a string....

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    Ahhh, nothing quite like

Nothing quite like and old Mauser! Especially a GIGANTIC old Mauser!

Very nice! What gun store did you pick that up from?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The .50 BMG rifles have muzzle breaks on them for a reason. Seriously, retinal detachment is an issue with heavy recoil.

Exactly. Your typical .50BMG brake is reducing recoil energy on the order of 50-80%.

So you are talking about 2-4x more recoil than your typical single shot 50BMG. And semiautomatic .50BMG are a fair amount more comfortable than bolt or threaded action 50BMG.

That’s why we are saying it.

Guys who shoot dangerous game rifles for enough years typically do legitimate damage to their bodies firing probably on the order of a couple score shots a year (if that). This has got easily a couple times more energy than that.

A .450 Rigby has half the energy, is often shot out of double rifles weighing 20 some pounds (more than half the weight of a Tgewehr) and a lot of times has at least porting, which does reduce recoil some.

So a dangerous game rifle is going kick less.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    So you are talking about 2-4x more recoil than your typical single shot 50BMG.
    Using this recoil calculator:
    http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

13.2mm TuF:
    795gr bullet (wiki)
    2580fps muzzle (wiki)
    265gr powder (estimate from 50BMG load)
    41# rifle w/ bipod (wiki)
    =15lb*s impulse
    =11.8 fps velocity
    =88ft*lbf energy

Hornady AMAX 50BMG
    750gr (Hornady)
    2820 fps muzzle (Hornady)
    265gr powder (estimate from 50BMG load)
    28.5# rifle (Steyr 50 bolt)
    =15.3lb*s impulse
    =17.2 fps velocity
    =132ft*lbf energy

Yes, the bmg typically has a brake to help but its a much higher power/pressure modern load too. I have shot a Steyr 50 bolt gun w/ the AMAX loads. Its not too bad.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    Bad recoil. Interesting.

The thread has changed a bit, in this case not actually a bad thing.
    A question, is there any kind of recoil absorbing device that can be attached without defacing the rifle? A recoil pad sure, but what else?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A sandbag instead of a recoil pad. At least a recoil pad as the buttstock has zero padding.

Honestly if you are a reasonably large individual, a recoil pad may be all you need to shot a couple of rounds and not kill yourself. Just don’t expect something you are going to want to stack up a double fist full of cartridges to have fun with.

Also keep your lips open slightly when you pull the trigger. Keeps blast pressure on your ear drums down. But your mouth shut, otherwise you might be slamming your teeth shut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom