• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I stopped in today with my kids to check out the show. It was awesome seeing so many machine guns and pieces of history up close.

I joined the MDTCA while I was there and stuck around for the shoot later.

Thanks to everyone there for being an enabler :innocent0

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I made it to the open house today and had a great time, as usual. I renewed my membership, decided to join AGC, and passed my MG qualification, all in one afternoon.

Many thanks to John, Paul, Matt and Mark for everything they did helping out with membership renewal and qualification, and all the other MDTCA members not only for displaying their fine hardware, but for sharing their knowledge and advice!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I had no idea about these guys until IMBLITZVT was kind enough to inform me about them and asked me to attend their gathering yesterday. What a GREAT time!! There sure was a LOT of History brought together in one place! While I can't personally afford to play guns on the level these guys operate on, I will say that I would highly recommend that anyone around with some fun Class III toys contact the MD Thompson Collectors Association and join up. I met the President, Vice-President and some of the members and found them to be extremely knowledgeable, sharing and, perhaps best of all, extremely friendly. Just a great bunch of guys and a fun way to spend a few hours on a Sunday. The range seemed like a really nice place too! Even though it's called the "Thompson Collectors Association", they clearly love all Class III from any era. I saw everything from WWI Maxims to modern M16's and everything in between. I didn't have my camera with me for some stupid reason but my honey roamed around and took a few picture with her phone:

At first, I though the jobber on the upper right was missing it's barrel for some reason until I got to looking closer and read the tag saying it has a short barrel and an integral suppressor. Neato! The one below with the shotgun mounted took me right back to the 80's and Predator. "We're all gonna' die." LOVE that movie!

One of the members gave my honey and me a demonstration of how the German Maxim works and I know he did a good job of it because she was sincerely interested in every single word!

I Finnish capture Russian Maxim with side plate removed showing the internals:

Check out the shine on the brass and copper parts!

Just lots and lots of cool stuff!!

That dude in the Belgian camo looks a little shady though.....

But my absolute favorite was a Colt AR15 serial number 251 ( top rifle in the picture below):

That's the 151st Colt to roll off the line in December of 1959. I asked the owner about it and he couldn't have been any nicer. As we are discussing it, it pulls out his knife, cuts the zip tie holding it to the rack and hands it to me. Schweet!!
    As we continue, he takes the handguards off, drops the lower receiver and just generally treats it like what it is, a firearm. Perhaps, that's what impressed me most about these guys. I'm standing there holding a rifle that any museum in the world would be proud to have in their collection and the owner knows this. He also knows it's outrageously valuable and that this guy he doesn't know from Adam could well be an absolute butterfingers and drop it, potentially damaging an irreplaceable piece of firearms History. But what does he do? He smiles and talks to me like he's known me for years all the while explaining to me that it's no good hoarded away in a safe or a museum collecting dust. He'd rather keep it in private hands, enjoy it and share it with anyone who is interested. Everyone I talked to there had the same attitude and I loved every second of it. It's nice to know there are groups out there like the MD Thompson Collectors Association who are so interested in sharing their treasures and, best of all, shooting them! So to Paul, Matt, Rick and all the other guys who made me feel welcome and shared such wonderful bits of History with me, thank you all; I had a great time!

Last edited:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I had no idea about these guys until IMBLITZVT was kind enough to inform me about them and asked me to attend their gathering yesterday. What a GREAT time!! ...

It was great to meet you combloc! I am glad you made it!

Here was the what was there, for those that missed it. We actually ran out of table space...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom