Who thinks Iceland's Gun Laws are a good example for the USA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Having been stationed in Iceland, there is a few reasons why they don't have a lot of crime. One it is an island, no place really to run. Two the communities are small so everyone there know everyone, so you can't really hide anything. Three their main industry is fishing, so much of the male population is at sea. The rest are raising sheep. The weather is gloomy most of the time, the wind is constantly blowing and half the year the sun is up and the other half it is dark. Iceland used to have a lot of suicides that was back in the 1980's, don't know what it is like today. They tend to depend on each other, and teach their young to respect the law and each other. Kinda of like we used to do.

so what you are saying is it really does take a village.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I'm pointing out what makes their social society different from ours. But yes to degree it does take a village to raise a child.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter

I'm pointing out what makes their social society different from ours. But yes to degree it does take a village to raise a child.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I see it as families being responsible first and the result is a village where they can live together in peace. I think the whole 'it takes village' line is nothing but leftist crap intended to destroy the nuclear family and glorify the State as the caretaker and provider. It is designed to make the leftists feel good about taking taxes from those who work and hand it over to the 'villagers' who do not contribute to the betterment of society. my 2¢

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Iceland’s lack of violence has nothing to do with their gun laws. You could dump AR-15s with 100 round magazines from an airplane, load up every citizen, and they would still have zero murders.

They don’t have a “war on drugs” which creates a criminal class. They don’t have urban centers which are the equivalent to third world nations. They don’t fill their prisons with non-violent offenders.

Likewise, their country is one of the least culturally/racially diverse in the world. They don’t have immigrants coming from violent countries where murder is common place. They don’t have a country filled with tribalistic mentality where everyone sees anyone different as an “us vs them” situation because there literally is no one different.

It is basically impossible to compare America to Iceland, it is apples to oranges and what they do may or may not work. There is no way to tell but frankly, I would walk of the side of less regulation and more freedom before trying the Iceland model.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Iceland is a racially and culturally homogeneous society with a median IQ of over 100 and a fairly narrow distribution at that, so socioeconomic inequality is next to nil compared to say, the US. As others have said, you could air-drop two AR-15s for every citizen and the violent crime numbers wouldn't budge because they have a extremely high-trust society built on a population that biologically just doesn't seem predisposed to violent crime.

It's honestly no different there than it is in Japan, Switzerland, Norway, the Baltics, or South Korea, and again, as others have already mentioned here, if you ignore certain pockets of crime-prone populations in the USA, large swaths of this country really aren't that different from Iceland, either.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...Tq?ocid=ems.display.welcomeexperience&ffid=gz

Other than admitting that it is the shooter and not the gun that is the problem, this article is all over the map trying to explain why Iceland hasn't had a firearm murder in more than a decade. It comes down on the side of strict laws, psychological exams, mandatory training, and long waiting periods. But it never addresses the self defense aspect of firearm ownership, just hunting and competitive shooting.

Edit: Iceland is one of the least racially diverse countries in the world and has only a little more than 300,000 inhabitants spread over an area about the size of Kentucky. It is also 94% urban, but has no cities with a population greater than 120,000. Not mentioned in the statistics is the fact that it does not have a Democratic Party running the cities and Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have never been there.

Did you mean to say rural?

Little Iceland is one of the most technologically advanced countries in Europe.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...y-advanced-country-in-the-world-a6757196.html

Very little crime, I dont care why. Very friendly, happy people, It's citizens are not diverse but it's tourists sure are. Been there, done that, want to do it again.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    I see it as families being responsible first and the result is a village where they can live together in peace. I think the whole 'it takes village' line is nothing but leftist crap intended to destroy the nuclear family and glorify the State as the caretaker and provider. It is designed to make the leftists feel good about taking taxes from those who work and hand it over to the 'villagers' who do not contribute to the betterment of society. my 2¢

I don't agree. I think when people say "it takes a village to raise a child" they're referring to the old small town model where everyone went to the same church, shopped at the same stores, attended the same schools, and so forth. If a kid misbehaved on the main street, one of the store owners would let his parents know, and the kid would get disciplined when he got home. None of that "not my little angel" BS.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Did you mean to say rural?

Little Iceland is one of the most technologically advanced countries in Europe.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...y-advanced-country-in-the-world-a6757196.html

Very little crime, I dont care why. Very friendly, happy people, It's citizens are not diverse but it's tourists sure are. Been there, done that, want to do it again.

As counter intuitive as it sounds, 94% urban is correct. The reference is to the percentage of the total population living in the three largest "cities". By US standards they aren't even close to city size.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I don't agree. I think when people say "it takes a village to raise a child" they're referring to the old small town model where everyone went to the same church, shopped at the same stores, attended the same schools, and so forth. If a kid misbehaved on the main street, one of the store owners would let his parents know, and the kid would get disciplined when he got home. None of that "not my little angel" BS.

I agree with you, but there's a big difference between what people say and what Hillary Clinton says.:)

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    "Iceland is one of the least racially diverse countries in the world" and that my friends is why they have near to zero murders and crime. As John Lott stated many years ago in one of his studies, that if you factor out Black and Hispanic crime/murder/shooting, the USA has a lower crime rate then most of the rest of the world. Now I'm sure the numbers have changed over the years one way or another but I bet the percentages are real close. Chris

You can't say that......LOL! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom