• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    The existing laws work just fine - who'd have thought?

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    It took a few clicks to get through the typical GAO boilerplate, but I was able to get to the meat of the actual study GAO performed. It showed the FFL system set up by the Gun Control Act of 1968 actually works as intended, even with a technological wrinkle that was never anticipated -- the Internet. They created 5 scenarios of individuals with various prohibitions that would keep them from buying guns, from previous felons, to renouncing their citizenship. In 72 attempts, not one "deal" was successfully completed by the entity (individual or business) that was listing the firearm for sale. It proves that legitimate dealers and individuals selling guns actually want to, and are, following the law! That's a rather amazing story...but, sadly, of course, it will be ignored....because guns!

Interestingly, the head of the House committee that requested the study was our very own Elijah Cummings. I wonder when we'll be seeing him on a podium pointing to the success of the the FFL program at "keeping guns off the street"? I won't be holding my breath. :sad20:

JoeR

We should bombard that old sh!thead's office with "congratulatory" phone calls and faxes:

(202) 225-4741
    Fax: (202) 225-3178
    Hours: M-F 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM EST

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    ha ha ha. in 2 tests, GOA paid and got scammed when seller didn't ship...

wonder if GOA went after seller for fraud?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My question would be, did they not ship because of scamming or because the shipper (if it was an FFL) found out they were prohibited?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    My question would be, did they not ship because of scamming or because the shipper (if it was an FFL) found out they were prohibited?

The chart doesn't say, maybe it's in the report.

If scammed, it was OUR money GOA wasted. Well, the whole d*mned report is a waste.

Upthread mentioned we should call Milkdud's office asking about the loopholes he found...

Beancounter

Jul 8, 2012
    One might be able to pay for a gun over the internet, but until Star Trek transporter technology becomes reality, one cannot obtain a gun over the internet.

The laws have not kept pace with technology. With instant federal background checks I should be able to buy any firearm in any state. It would be my responsibility to comply with local laws.

If I can pass a federal background check, I probably comply with local laws.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I had read an article about this earlier today and was wondering if, by chance, any of our IPs were possibly contacted in this operation.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    One might be able to pay for a gun over the internet, but until Star Trek transporter technology becomes reality, one cannot obtain a gun over the internet.

You forget with the advent of inexpensive metal titanium 3-D printing metal machines, you can just buy the file, transmit though the interwebs and make your own. (Sarcasm)

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Audits that validate aren't a waste of time and money if they're done judiciously. Manufacturers have to pull a product off the assembly line for QA purposes...same idea here. This audit is particularly good because it shows the system works, and we don't need more, tighter laws. It's nice that the 2A community has something to point at and declare victory. Imagine what would be happening if the results of the audit were different.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    ha ha ha. in 2 tests, GOA paid and got scammed when seller didn't ship...

wonder if GOA went after seller for fraud?

GAO isn't law enforcement. In the report, they say they referred incidents of criminality to the appropriate enforcement authorities.

The report total 37 pages, including cover pages, table of contents, and a lot of white space on pages throughout. It's a quick read.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Audits that validate aren't a waste of time and money if they're done judiciously. Manufacturers have to pull a product off the assembly line for QA purposes...same idea here. This audit is particularly good because it shows the system works, and we don't need more, tighter laws. It's nice that the 2A community has something to point at and declare victory. Imagine what would be happening if the results of the audit were different.

I agree that this was a worthwhile exercise for the GAO to undertake. However, it's still disappointing to me, but not surprising, that the report hasn't gotten any traction with the mainstream media. Your point is absolutely correct...if it had gone the other way, Cummings and Warren would be shouting it from the rooftops.

JoeR

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The chart doesn't say, maybe it's in the report.

If scammed, it was OUR money GOA wasted. Well, the whole d*mned report is a waste.

Upthread mentioned we should call Milkdud's office asking about the loopholes he found...

Even if they weren't scammed, it's our money the GOA wasted.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I agree that this was a worthwhile exercise for the GAO to undertake. However, it's still disappointing to me, but not surprising, that the report hasn't gotten any traction with the mainstream media. Your point is absolutely correct...if it had gone the other way, Cummings and Warren would be shouting it from the rooftops.

JoeR

THAT is guaranteed! Our side better figure out how to use our good news.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto

Note: ur link is to an article on romney

But they did manage to purchase two illegal off the dark web.

On the dark web, GAO agents successfully purchased two guns illegally, as the serial numbers on the weapons were “obliterated” and “shipped across state lines.” But in the attempt to purchase, the GAO agents “did not disclose any information indicating they were prohibited from possessing a firearm.”

Cummings, Warren and Schatz did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment on the GAO’s findings.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/08/dem-ordered-study-to-expose-illegal-online-gun-sales-backfires.html

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Note: ur link is to an article on romney

But they did manage to purchase two illegal off the dark web.

On the dark web, GAO agents successfully purchased two guns illegally, as the serial numbers on the weapons were “obliterated” and “shipped across state lines.” But in the attempt to purchase, the GAO agents “did not disclose any information indicating they were prohibited from possessing a firearm.”

Cummings, Warren and Schatz did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment on the GAO’s findings.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/08/dem-ordered-study-to-expose-illegal-online-gun-sales-backfires.html

but it does destroy their argument that on line purchase of guns is easy to do. Most dark web transactions involve illicit activity, not law abiding citizens.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    but it does destroy their argument that on line purchase of guns is easy to do. Most dark web transactions involve illicit activity, not law abiding citizens.

All they need to do is make the dark web illegal.
    I'm surprised nobody thought of that yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom