• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Looking at building an AR-10, and realized that my Geiselle Reaction Rod isn't going to work. Since the AR-10 reaction rods are $200 and I don't plan on building a bunch of them, guessing I will go receiver vise block. Anyone have any recommendations for the AR-10?

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Alternative - $50
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod72374.aspx

p_080001040_1.jpg

TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    I have heard these are to be avoided, more likely to damage your receiver than a rod or clamshell.

The only way I could see it damaging the receiver is if you are not careful with the ejection port cover when inserting the block. The ejection port cover CAN get pinned against the block, and if you don't notice or try to force it, I am sure you could damage it. I bought it in 2013 and there were not many choices at the time. All I can say is that it has worked well for me.:thumbsup:

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Are there flats on that tool for clamping in a vise? Flats would make MUCH easier to securely clamp in a vise.

Edit: Nevermind. I read the description and you clamp barrel nut wrench in the vise instead of the rod. Flats would still make it more versatile.

Some have added flats but the tool isn't much longer than the upper. Another option is to add a piece of 1/2" square bar. It really is a single purpose tool for installing a barrel nut.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Some have added flats but the tool isn't much longer than the upper. Another option is to add a piece of 1/2" square bar. It really is a single purpose tool for installing a barrel nut.

You could grind some flats on a 1/2 inch extension and clamp that in a vise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom