• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Recently this letter to the editor was published in The Capital:

The NRA

Much as I hate to admit it, I find it impossible to disagree with the National Rifle Association after reflecting upon the ugly assassination of five policemen in Dallas.

If you will allow me, please, to suggest a probable explanation of this tragic event as the NRA might explain it (if, of course, it chooses to offer an explanation), it will undoubtedly sound a bit like:

"If these five brave officers had been permitted by law to possess and openly carry firearms and had been trained in how to personally defend themselves, the outcome would have been quite different. More likely, there would have been five uninjured police officers and one would-be assassin with a belly full of lead."

In other words, it is the message that the NRA has been trying to teach American all along: that the answer to gun killings will always be more guns.

I expect it is the NRA's traditional wish not to get involved that keeps it from trying to personally trade on this national tragedy.

PETER J. LARSON

Annapolis

Today they published my letter:

The Capital's letters policy clearly states that the newspaper "does not publish letters that are libelous or in bad taste." However, you had no problem publishing Peter J. Larson's letter, "The NRA" (The Capital, July 27).

Not only were the heroic officers in Dallas "armed and openly carrying," but they were most likely trained by several of the National Rifle Association's over 13,000 certified law enforcement instructors.

It's typical of The Capital: Facts don't matter if they don't fit the mainstream media's agenda.

GEORGE R CROSBY

Severn

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Surprised they're still around,a friend of mine is a photographer for them and he told me The sun just keeps it going to have something local.:sad20:

Pretty much......a lot of people cancelled The Sun and did the same when they bought out The Capital and The Maryland Gazette. My Mom continues to get The Capital just to have paper to wrap crap and for kindling.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Doubt it, I've seen plenty of Mr. Larson's liberal anti-gun BS in The Capital before.

He wasn't stating that they didn't have guns or weren't trained. He was implying that although those two things were painfully obvious, the NRA would still use their traditional tactics.

Essentially he is saying "the NRA says if people carry guns, they won't be victims of crime" and using this situation to disprove that.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    Thanks for writing a response to the BS! There are alot of people that don't know anything about the NRA other than the lies spewed out from the libtards.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    He wasn't stating that they didn't have guns or weren't trained. He was implying that although those two things were painfully obvious, the NRA would still use their traditional tactics.

Essentially he is saying "the NRA says if people carry guns, they won't be victims of crime" and using this situation to disprove that.

Mr. Larson, in my opinion, made his point very poorly. He did what he accused the NRA of doing. Being armed is no guarantee of personal safety. It isn't every day a person gets ambushed in that manner...yet.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If the officers had not been armed, trained by NRA Certified Instructors, and engaged (remember they went toward the shooter) the BLM gunman certainly the body count would have been much higher. It takes a good guy with a gun (or a robot with a bomb) to stop a bad guy with a gun (the good guys guns forced him to cover long enough for the robot to take him out).

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    First, the media hypes the average police officer's training and firearms proficiency as being superior to what any non uniformed citizen could possibly experience. I think that is false. Some of the people I know that enjoy their second amendment rights as a hobby probably shoot more rounds in a weekend than the average police officer does qualifying every year and take more classes. Second the media and politicians tell America that we should give up our guns because the police are there to protect us. This case obviously proves that leaving your life in someone else's hands is no guarantee you'll live. They are not infallible and will most likely not be around when you need them. Third, it is my understanding that the courts have said police are not responsible for protecting us even if we have been specifically threatened or are in immediate danger. Fourth, the politicians, the media and the leadership of big city police unions are constantly telling America that the semi and full auto weapons that they use to protect themselves and their families are not suitable for protecting our families. These would be the points I responded with and what the NRA should pound the media and politicians with everyday.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Ed, you should send your post to the paper as an editorial. Very succinct & on point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom