• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    God bless them and their families.

CG typically recovers (not rescues) bodies of folks who were not wearing PFDs and or excessive BAC.

The encouragement to wear PFDs cannot be overstated. If you wear waders when you hunt, make damn sure you have a chest strap to keep them from filling with water. You only have a couple minutes at most and even then, you on lose mental and physical control at light speed.

Be safe.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    Wow, there are a couple of DNR boats docked at the marina where our office is (on the South River). Early afternoon a DNR car came flying into the marina and the officer started untying the larger of their boats. I'm sure he was heading up to the Severn for this. Thoughts and prayers for the missing hunters and the people putting themselves in harms way looking for them. between the cold and wind it was just plain nasty on or near the water today.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ....With ~40 degree water...now considered a recovery mission...
    Sad. Cold water is nothing to mess with
    Hypothermia guaranteed. No way to live through submersion at those temps.
    Mother Nature is merciless.
    Especially true this time of year.
    Lifejackets. Wear them.
    Great suggestion. This will make recovery of your body easier, lets the rescue folks go home sooner, but if you go overboard this time of year in normal (non-diver) clothing, you are doomed.

I used to be an outfitter in the early 80s and ran sea duck hunts in January out on the Chester River. Air temps in the teens & twenties, water temps in the 30s-40s. The DNR guys would check on us a couple times a day, and warned us with genuine concern that if we went over, even for a few seconds, nothing could save us. I don't think they ever checked our licenses...

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Beat me to it. That is what we always said when I used to waterfowl. The PFD is just to make locating your body easier.

Hypothermia guaranteed. No way to live through submersion at those temps.Especially true this time of year.Great suggestion. This will make recovery of your body easier, lets the rescue folks go home sooner, but if you go overboard this time of year in normal (non-diver) clothing, you are doomed.

I used to be an outfitter in the early 80s and ran sea duck hunts in January out on the Chester River. Air temps in the teens & twenties, water temps in the 30s-40s. The DNR guys would check on us a couple times a day, and warned us with genuine concern that if we went over, even for a few seconds, nothing could save us. I don't think they ever checked our licenses...

:thumbsup:

Unfortunate reality of it.

5amhunt

Dark And Early
    Oct 10, 2014
    The encouragement to wear PFDs cannot be overstated. If you wear waders when you hunt, make damn sure you have a chest strap to keep them from filling with water. You only have a couple minutes at most and even then, you on lose mental and physical control at light speed.

Be safe.

Can you link or elaborate on the chest strap i tried googling it but couldnt find anythign and i hunt in wades using a 14ft john on the potomac

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Can you link or elaborate on the chest strap i tried googling it but couldnt find anythign and i hunt in wades using a 14ft john on the potomac

The waist belt needs to be tight. A lot of guys remove it or wear it loose. It's there to keep your waders from filling up quickly if you go under.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Any kind of belt or strap will do. Often waders come with a waist strap. That doesn't generally fit higher up on the torso. You simply need something that will effectively seal the waders from becoming a bucket to be filled with water. You don't generally get a perfect seal but you do want to limit water access into the waders lest your buoyancy and ability to help yourself be substantially reduced.

I try to have it up on my rib cage as high as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom