Something I never thought I would see while cleaning a MG!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    So I picked up some MG parts from a widow last week. So I started sorting and cleaning. One item was a MG08 Waterjacket. It was painted silver like they did back in the day for trophy guns. It looked rather rough with a fair bit of rust and some battle damage with a hole punched the jacket at one spot.

So I removed the fill plug and there was no barrel or any loose parts still attached. Its normal for packing peanuts or other junk to get stuck in these waterjackets as they are like 5" DIA with just small holes in and out. So I hear something in there. Well at first I of course thought just some leaves or packing peanuts. I was not even going to bother looking. Then the Treasure hunter side of me thought, what if its $100 bills that deceased kept in there as the ultimate hiding place! The widow would have never know and I will be Rich! Yeah I knew the odds were like that of the lottery but its not to much work to grab a flashlight and check!

So I did and this is what I saw!

IMG_20140805_221023_420 (1).jpg

OH SH@T!!! Being pretty allergic to bees, this was like my worst nightmare! I had brought an entire wasps nest into my house which might just kill me in my attempt to escape the basement! Then would surely get my wife too who is also allergic and kids who likely are as both of us are.... Thats what past through my mind in the split second as I jumped back. Then I realized I got these parts out of the widow's house and have been in my car for 5 days... and the nests all rolling around inside... long dead. I got a good chuckle at my "near death" experience as I took this picture!

I can honestly say I never thought I would run into wasp nests cleaning MG parts... I assume that this waterjacket was on a gun on public display outside some building. The waterjacket was sealed except for this one hole caused by battle damage which must have allowed the invaders into the jacket. So I am no Richer but do have a good short story to tell...

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I finally get to use this picture I just made 40 seconds ago after reading this thread....

Attachments

• 53363929.jpg
      53363929.jpg
      38.8 KB · Views: 370

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    Holy Cow, he's got yellow jackets in his water jacket!

I'd hate to "BEE" him!

Sorry, it's the whole middle aged thing.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom