• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    From what I understand regulated rifles are a no go, as are pistols. But a 10/22 should be ok right?

I'm on the road down south and there's a dicks 15 minutes away that has had breakdowns the last two times I've been in there, it's a neat little firearm and I think I want one, but don't want to look like an asshat buying one out of state if its not ok.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Sure, have at it. I have specifically traveled to Delaware to buy rimfires all my life.

As long as it is legal in YOUR state, it's legal for them to sell it to you cash and carry.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    You can even buy regulated out of state. The dealer will have to apply for a federal transfer to an FFL in your state. Mine took 9 weeks form 12/12 to 2/13. Then you have to go through the normal process here. * You usually have to pay for shipping and sometime for the fee to complete the transfer.. but everything is negotiable . :D

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You can even buy regulated out of state. The dealer will have to apply for a federal transfer to an FFL in your state. Mine took 9 weeks form 12/12 to 2/13. Then you have to go through the normal process here.

As an FYI, UPS works remarkably well and is much faster. ;)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If a purchase happens over state lines, it must go through an FFL.

Incorrect.

I've purchased more guns in Delaware (as a MD resident) than any other way.

Probably 6 shotguns and 10 rimfire rifles over the years.

"Regulated" sales must go FFL to FFL.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    You can buy Maryland unregulated long guns in person directly from dealers in states adjoining maryland (border states) providing you adhere to both state's laws.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    If you are in a state that touches Maryland's border you can buy a rifle or shotgun from an FFL, but not a private citizen. If you are buying a MD regulated firearm the firearm must be shipped to an FFL in MD for purchase.

fatalsports

Mar 4, 2012
    I have an question/issue...

I am in Florida on vacation and went to a few gun shops...both are telling me they will sell me and AR15 and allow me to do a cash and carry even though I am a MD resident.

Is this illegal? These are actual store front gun stores telling me this. These aren't HBARs either.

Does this mean I can buy in FL and then take it back to MD and register it there myself?

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You can buy Maryland unregulated long guns in person directly from dealers in states adjoining maryland (border states) providing you adhere to both state's laws.

Unfortunately, per MD code 5-204. Otherwise, not true for folks living in a free State.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I have an question/issue...

I am in Florida on vacation and went to a few gun shops...both are telling me they will sell me and AR15 and allow me to do a cash and carry even though I am a MD resident.

Is this illegal? These are actual store front gun stores telling me this. These aren't HBARs either.

Not legal. You and they would be looking at serious time in club fed per GCA 1968.

fatalsports

Mar 4, 2012
    Not legal. You and they would be looking at serious time in club fed.

I understand...but why does this fall on the person buying and not entirely on the FFL selling the item.

If I didn't know any better, I could just have bought an AR from the shop here in FL and walked right out.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I understand...but why does this fall on the person buying and not entirely on the FFL selling the item.

If I didn't know any better, I could just have bought an AR from the shop here in FL and walked right out.

Responsibility and accountability falls on both of you. Both of you would be breaking federal firearms law. Both of you could/would be arrested and prosecuted. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    ^^^ this.

I was at a West Virginia dealer that kept insisting that he could sell a mini-9 to me as a Maryland Resident. I told him it's not on Maryland's handgun roster and he said "it's legal, it's no different that any other 9mm semi-automatic and 9mm semi-automatics are legal n Maryland." :rolleyes:

You need to be sure you are complying with MD law. Out of state dealers sometimes just don't know Maryland law unreasonable restrictions.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Wrong, you just can't do FTF sale over state lines. You can buy a non regulated gun from someone in PA, for example, however it has to be transferred via FFL.

Boom Boom...can you clarify this ? I recall seeing Marylanders buying shotguns and rifles FTF at PA and VA gun shows and walking out with the rifle after NICS check...

fatalsports

Mar 4, 2012
    The only thing both dealers here in FL told me was, if I was buying a handgun then it would have to be shipped to my FFL in MD.

But any rifle (AR/AK/Anything) can be bought straight at the store as a cash and carry item.

I was obviously skeptical so I didnt buy one...though I did pick up some Kriss Extended 25+ mags at least.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Boom Boom...can you clarify this ? I recall seeing Marylanders buying shotguns and rifles FTF at PA and VA gun shows and walking out after NICS check...

He means private sales, as in private PA resident to private MD resident. That requires a transfer to a MD FFL, even for non-regulated firearms, per GCA 1968.

You can buy as many non-regulated firearms in person as you want (no MD transfer) from 01 FFLs in DE, VA, WV, and PA.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Wrong, you just can't do FTF sale over state lines. You can buy a non regulated gun from someone in PA, for example, however it has to be transferred via FFL.

He means private sales, as in private PA resident to private MD resident. That requires a transfer to a MD FFL, even for non-regulated firearms, per GCA 1968.

You can buy as many non-regulated firearms in person as you want (no MD transfer) from 01 FFLs in DE, VA, WV, and PA.

Thanks, Boom...I wanted to clarify this so PhantomPatriot knows he CAN buy non-regulated firearms (shotguns, rifles) FTF from an FFL, say at a gun show in a state bordering MD, but not from a private citizen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom