• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Finn

waiting for the zombies
    Feb 28, 2009
    Columbia
    wife and I were at a local gunshop this weekend and saw tucked away a nice looking "1911" full sized pistol. it had a compisator and extremely smooth action. I personally love the feel of a 1911 style pistol and my wife even said she liked the way it fit her hand.
    it is a Llama and I am not familiar with this company at all. I would love to have everyone's opinion on this gun and if it is worth buying. it was for a pretty decent price as far as 1911's go but again I am not familiar with the brand.
    It is going for a tad under $500 and looks well used but clean and smooth.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I had a Llama that was a jam-o-matic piece of crap.

You may want to look into the RIA line at that price point for a good, inexpensive 1911.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I would pass. Llamas are not well made at all. I have never worked on one that impressed me. Very poorly made.

As its already said a RIA 1911 is a much better option and still in the same price range.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Third vote for RIA. I have a Charles Daly (made in the same factory) frame and slide that I built up (got the thing in a plastic bag with lots of missing pieces) and it runs nicely. Shop I volunteer at has sold many many RIAs and only one ever had issues. Several of the "hangaround group" have them as inexpensive blasters and they all work. Even have decent factory triggers.....we got one as a present for the 16 year old that works there (No, he doesn't own it. His dad does. He just shoots it)

Unspoken

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 11, 2010
    Ambassador of GA
    llama%20everywhere.gif

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    I would also advise not to spend your money on the Llama. Had a Llama 1911 in the late 80's that wouldn't function properly. It felt good/solid, just wouldn't work. Friend bought two Llama 1911's in the mid 90's. Still wouldn't work, but now the metal/fit/everything felt cheaper.

My family has had good luck with Springfield and Rock Island.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Llama's are not true 1911's. The company is no longer in business, so parts are hit or miss.

Buy a RIA.

The Gnome

Apr 21, 2008
    Parts are not inerchangable with mil spec 1911's. I owned on back in the early 80's. Ran good. Grips won't even work.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    i had one dont even bother thinking, contemplating, deciding whether or not to get it..DONT get buy it or any other LLAMA its a piece of sh*t. if you want to throw away money send it my way...i'll buy some ammo at least the ammo would be useful...only thing a LLama pistol is good for is to set a trot line...Hope this helps!

Finn

waiting for the zombies
    Feb 28, 2009
    Columbia
    ahh well I do thank everyone for their input. The reason I have been thinking bout it is cause I was setup like a comp gun. So it might have been totally rebuilt but I am now just thinking that I will get the RIA I have been looking at for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom