• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ugly is as ugly does. The Glock is indeed hideous, like Jake From State Farm, but it works. I love my CZ 97, but for camping? The Glock had more capacity and significantly less WEIGHT when you're doing loaded down miles on foot. But for out in the wild, worried about both humans and possibly large predators or a pissed-off form of large hoofstock, etc., I'd go with the G20, thus using 10mm. That's a better tool for the odd cranky bear or whatnot. Yup. Ugly, like every Glock. But they work and don't weight a lot. Survival vs. aesthetics isn't a hard thing to figure out. I built a G20 clone for just this sorta use.

My arguments. I don’t know, I no one glocks good looking. But like in the way a rhino is
    Good looking. Many a handgun I like better, but to me they look like incredibly utilitarian and that’s it. Not fugly like a small number of guns are. Sure plenty I like the look of better.

But anyway, a couple perks. A Glock 20 or 21 is about half a pound lighter than an all metal 45/10mm handgun. And that matters a lot if you are hiking around with it. Double stack, which is good for two legged problems. DAO, for a fast draw without needing to worry about a safety to fumble with or cocking a hammer isn’t an awful thing either.

It’s pretty danged weather resistant between the finish and the underlying metal treatment. I am sure you could rust it if you threw it in a tank of salt water for awhile. But rain, sweat and dirt isn’t likely to mess it up real bad.

Price is pretty decent too. So you aren’t going to feel as bad about banging it up.

It’s a Glock, so parts can be found just about anywhere handgun parts can be found and you can customize it however you like.

There is a reason the Glock is basically the AR or AK of the handgun world.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    When I lived in the woods where some bears lived I carried a 45 SAA clone.
    I got news for some on here, by the time your hand grates across your Carhart chore coat and you hit the thumb snap most black bears are gone.
    They can also hear the thumb safety on a 45 from 35-40 yards away on a breezy fall day if you ever have to shoot one which I never did.
    I think the only time I ever had the revolver out was when a renegade coon was acting funny on the stream bank while trout fishing the put and take at..... the bear creek.
    A couple slaps with the rod guides on the water was all it took to bring him back to reality and luckily he didn't need dispatched.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I am also a proponent of 10mm with hard cast projectiles in bear country. There is a reason the Glock 20 (10mm) is the most popular outdoor defense handgun in Alaska.
    My Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum is more powerful than my 10mm, but my 10mm holds an extra 10rds before reloading. Yes, 16rds of 10mm is better than 6rds of .44 Magnum in my eyes.

Exactly this. Hill people gear pack also

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I was also debating on a 10mm, but main issue is the price of 10mm means that I won't be able to train with it as much, and I'd much rather have a gun that I am comfortable with than a gun that is more powerful but less comfortable. Also I've read up on some 45 vs bear encounters it seems like it is still effective, just need to shoot the bear a few more times hence my requirement of a double stack.

So far I am leaning toward the FNX since that one have a 15+1 capacity and being polymer frame also meant that it will be light enough to take around, and having full ambi controls is a big plus in my opinion
    The FNX is a good gun, I really like mine, but it is an enormous pistol and in my mind it would be a pain in the butt to schlep around with backpacking/camping equipment on my back. Especially carrying a full 15+1 loadout. 16 .45ACP rounds aren’t that light either.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Have to wonder how they ever made it back in the 1800's with a single action revolver and in much more inhospitable environment. I remember an article about a guy named Jeff Spivey, who wanted to travel across the entire country on horseback, similar to the way it used to be done. He carried a Colt single action .45lc and a knife he made out of an old saw blade. He took only what could be carried on his horse. Of course, he had to plan his route according to modern road changes intersecting his path and state firearms laws. Pretty cool story. Just imagine someone trying to do that today.

How do you know "they ever made it back?"

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Lots of glock lovers, and that's ok, but check out the Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 full size 45. '''Tis a great feeling and shooting pistol, silly reliable, and pretty easy carrying.

Be sure to check with the campsites, many have "no guns" rules. If you are lucky enough to have a place to camp on your own i am jealous.

TD

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Weight adds up fast. If you go with a heavier gun, you are going to drop something else out of your pack to compensate.

It's really a personal decision. I'd go with a gun you can shoot well with either hand and from any position at up to 20 yards. A gun you can quickly get back on target after shooting.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    When I lived in the woods where some bears lived I carried a 45 SAA clone.
    I got news for some on here, by the time your hand grates across your Carhart chore coat and you hit the thumb snap most black bears are gone.
    They can also hear the thumb safety on a 45 from 35-40 yards away on a breezy fall day if you ever have to shoot one which I never did.
    I think the only time I ever had the revolver out was when a renegade coon was acting funny on the stream bank while trout fishing the put and take at..... the bear creek.
    A couple slaps with the rod guides on the water was all it took to bring him back to reality and luckily he didn't need dispatched.

Had to pull my .44 on a pitbull one time. I was in his territory. He had two buddies with him, a younger pit and a boarder collie. I managed to scare them off by yelling and acting aggressively. This guy was having none of it. With every one of his barks, he leaped closer and closer to me until he was just 10 yards away, a big log laid between us. I knew he was planning on launching from the log on to me. I put a round into and through that log spraying him with rotted wood splinters and noise. At that, he turned to retreat back up the hill towards his house and I hurried(not ran) the other way. Close call. I didn't want to kill him. He was doing his job, but no way was I about to let him get a piece of me.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Same here. In all my years of backcountry camping, hiking, mtb-ing, hunting & fishing with a .44 mag, a G20 or a G21, I have yet to encounter either Boo-Boo Bear or the Deliverance Gang, as feared. The only times I ever had to palm my piece were when menaced by a pack of coyote one night and a pair of bull mastiffs one afternoon.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Ever considered a revolver? The S&W 625 is an excellent choice. Using moon clips is fast and and easy, and your ammo choices can run the gamut from standard ball to 45 super. Of course, if ammo capacity is at the forefront, this suggestion is moot. I readily admit that gunfights on camping trips present a real challenge with only six shots

I have a S&W 329PD that I carry when hiking in bear country. Comes in at 25.2 ounces.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-329pd

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Had to pull my .44 on a pitbull one time. I was in his territory. He had two buddies with him, a younger pit and a boarder collie. I managed to scare them off by yelling and acting aggressively. This guy was having none of it. With every one of his barks, he leaped closer and closer to me until he was just 10 yards away, a big log laid between us. I knew he was planning on launching from the log on to me. I put a round into and through that log spraying him with rotted wood splinters and noise. At that, he turned to retreat back up the hill towards his house and I hurried(not ran) the other way. Close call. I didn't want to kill him. He was doing his job, but no way was I about to let him get a piece of me.

Bears and stuff were one of the reason I wound up with Pb dogs.
    Nice to let out the door when the old lady would pull up with the kids.
    Especially at night.
    If there was something lurking around out there, you count on them checking it out.
    Better than having to shoot in that direction and they can buy you time.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    I was also debating on a 10mm, but main issue is the price of 10mm means that I won't be able to train with it as much, and I'd much rather have a gun that I am comfortable with than a gun that is more powerful but less comfortable. Also I've read up on some 45 vs bear encounters it seems like it is still effective, just need to shoot the bear a few more times hence my requirement of a double stack.

Not sure if anyone answered this, since I am late to the party. But you can shoot 40 S&W ammo out of your Glock 10mm. I have been doing this for years. No issue with my G29, G30 (with 45-10mm conversion barrel), G20, G40. 10mm and 40 cal bullet is the same size, the casing is different.

Most off the shelf 10mm is loaded about the same as 40 any way, until you start going with Underwood or BB.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I am so offended by all you heartless humans.
    When I go camping I always have my Coexist sticker on it. All of nature’s critters fully understand this symbol of peace, love and harmony.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    If you go with a .45, simple ball ammo is your best bet while out in the woods. You want penetration, and that will give it to you.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    To the OP:

...then buy a pretty gun. As long as you learn how to shoot it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you go with a .45, simple ball ammo is your best bet while out in the woods. You want penetration, and that will give it to you.

If by ball you mean full metal jacket, not really. Hard cast, truncated cone or semi-wad cutter would be the way to go.

You want penetration AND a more effective wound channel. A rounded nose bullet is going to cause less tissue damage than a truncated cone or semi-wad cutter which is going to do more crushing and ripping its way through.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    If by ball you mean full metal jacket, not really. Hard cast, truncated cone or semi-wad cutter would be the way to go.

You want penetration AND a more effective wound channel. A rounded nose bullet is going to cause less tissue damage than a truncated cone or semi-wad cutter which is going to do more crushing and ripping its way through.

He addresses (and tests) that in the video.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom