• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    My new Python was delivered to the gun store today and I filled out the paperwork so it can start its Marylandstan seven-day jail time. I found it better than I expected though Colt could have done a better job cleaning it after being test fired. It has an awesome action...buttery smooth and no stacking. The stocks felt significantly more comfortable than the factory stocks of the older Pythons. The polishing was nothing less than outstanding...nearly equal to Colt's ultimate stainless finish of years past. The lock up was standard Colt...like a bank vault. I'm looking forward to bringing it home in a week.

The finish was much better than my photos in the gun store show.
    Python-rt.jpg

Python-left.jpg
    Well that was quick!:shocked:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I’m afraid to ask him what he paid for it?! There’s some on Gunbroker being advertised for some ridiculous amounts.

I dunno...I think Senior Bob buys a lot of guns, and probably is a well established "regular" somewhere. :tap: I'm fairly confident my LGS would sell one to me (if he could get it, of course) at his normal "regular" markup. But I can't even swing "special bestest customer" pricing on anything Colt right now :o

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I got it from Guns Midwest for $1335 + shipping...$1351 total. The morning they were released I found it on their website for that amount and grabbed it. With a MSRP of $1499 I don't think I did bad...no way was I going to pay over MSRP.

Within a few minutes Guns Midwest showed out of stock...don't know how many they had but sold out quick.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I got it from Guns Midwest for $1335 + shipping...$1351 total. The morning they were released I found it on their website for that amount and grabbed it. With a MSRP of $1499 I don't think I did bad...no way was I going to pay over MSRP.

Within a few minutes Guns Midwest showed out of stock...don't know how many they had but sold out quick.

That doesn't sound terrible. I hope the street prices come down after they've been out for a while, but I certainly understand balancing "I need it now" vs. "I need it at the best price"

I know I've bought quite a few guns that were early on the market, only to see them for $100 (s :eek:) less a year or so later. :shrug: I can rationalize the sting of the lower price sticker shock by recalling the year's worth of fond memories with the gun :D

Congrats. I'm sure we can't wait for the report any more than you can!:party29:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It will probably be a couple of weeks before I can put some rounds through it. There's a lot going on right now for my wife and I...we're in the process of buying a second home in AZ so I'll be heading out there for closing soon...going to NYC to take our daughter to a show (Harry Potter)...unfortunately to a funeral at the end of next week...kinda makes me wonder how I found time to get this revolver. My wife also has to make a business trip...that might be the window I need to get to the range. I have too many handguns waiting to be shot I've picked up and I think this Python just rocketed to the top of the list.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I hear ya! It's not easy to juggle range trips with everything else that's going on in life. I try to get out a couple of times per month but, even that has proven difficult to do lately.

While it's nice to know that those well-connected in the gun business love the new Python, range reports and reviews from regular shooters (who don't get paid to review firearms) are usually better sources of info, IMHO.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My new Python was delivered to the gun store today and I filled out the paperwork so it can start its Marylandstan seven-day jail time. I found it better than I expected though Colt could have done a better job cleaning it after being test fired. It has an awesome action...buttery smooth and no stacking. The stocks felt significantly more comfortable than the factory stocks of the older Pythons. The polishing was nothing less than outstanding...nearly equal to Colt's ultimate stainless finish of years past. The lock up was standard Colt...like a bank vault. I'm looking forward to bringing it home in a week.

The finish was much better than my photos in the gun store show.
    Python-rt.jpg

Python-left.jpg

Looks great. Mind saying what dealer has it currently in “lockup”?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I hear ya! It's not easy to juggle range trips with everything else that's going on in life. I try to get out a couple of times per month but, even that has proven difficult to do lately.

While it's nice to know that those well-connected in the gun business love the new Python, range reports and reviews from regular shooters (who don't get paid to review firearms) are usually better sources of info, IMHO.

I don't normally pay much attention to reviews by gun writers who depend on a company's advertising for their income...one bad review can see ad dollars go elsewhere so they can't always be truly honest and objective. The best reviews are from the buying public and how they support o product with their dollars.

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    The Python is a nice looking revolver. Had a 60ties Python back in the 70ties. Very accurate with a smooth action.

Today, I would not pay over what a new S&W 686 costs.

I would like to see what the new action looks like inside.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I don't normally pay much attention to reviews by gun writers who depend on a company's advertising for their income...one bad review can see ad dollars go elsewhere so they can't always be truly honest and objective. The best reviews are from the buying public and how they support o product with their dollars.

That's why I'm looking forward to reading your review. You being an old Colt-guy, it'll be interesting to read how the new Python stacks-up in your opinion.

I've managed to get burned only once on gun-rag hype. I bought one of the first Sig P229's in .40 back in (I think) 1992(?) and was profoundly disappointed. Unlike my other Sigs, I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it and since then, I've learned to bide my time and wait until some real-world user reviews come out.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    I am glad to see the Python back and possibly even better than the original, but, I can't believe this was years in the making and no royal blue. The one thing they couldn't possibly upgrade.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colt is supposedly coming out with a Royal Blue Python but no date yet...the concentration now is a successful launch of the gun. Bring realistic, stainless is the preferred material now anyway...plus the process required to do the Royal Blue polishing and finish is probably more expensive today than stainless...the talent to do it really costs now.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

Yep. They are commercials. Anyone thinking Colt is going to give a pre-release gun to a youtuber expecting anything less than a glowing review is kidding themself.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I am glad to see the Python back and possibly even better than the original, but, I can't believe this was years in the making and no royal blue. The one thing they couldn't possibly upgrade.

It's because they're smart. Most of the "gotta hava Python" crowd will buy the stainless and then blue later, but not vice versa. Same reason glock introduced the 42 before the 43.

chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    Two vids on YouTube now with malfunctions, cylinder not rotating. One vid is from Hickok45. Really wanted one but I’m gonna wait this one out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom