• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    FGT1958, I'm not sure if you know this but there are some AR bolts (such as at least some LMT bolts) where the ejector pin can only go into and out of the hole on one side of the bolt.

With those bolts, if you look carefully, you can see the slightly different hole sizes for the ejector pin. But most people would never look until they break a punch.

I doubt yours is one of them, but you may want to check it.

7A38

FGT1958

FGT1958, I'm not sure if you know this but there are some AR bolts (such as at least some LMT bolts) where the ejector pin can only go into and out of the hole on one side of the bolt.

With those bolts, if you look carefully, you can see the slightly different hole sizes for the ejector pin. But most people would never look until they break a punch.

I doubt yours is one of them, but you may want to check it.

7A38

Thanks! I will see if I can tell. The dang DASCO punch was definitely oversized and I was too stupid not to realize it. I thought it was just a snug fit. I will continue to try to work the pin out until I get so frustrated that I will mail it off to Chad!!!!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    FGT1958,

Today your bolt defeated me. First time I have been unable to remove a busted punch from a bolt.

I used a bunch of Kroil, heat, broke 3 punches, and broke 2 drill bits attempting extraction. I have not broken a punch in 7 years.

I'll ship you your bolt back and cover return shipping. My most sincere apologies for not being able to fix this. I'll throw in something to cover what you spent shipping it to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20180821_193355598.jpg
      IMG_20180821_193355598.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 196

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Dang Chad, tough break. I'm surprised you couldn't get it.

Time for a carbide mill, although by now, one could buy a new bolt...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Dang Chad, tough break. I'm surprised you couldn't get it.

Time for a carbide mill, although by now, one could buy a new bolt...

Carbide was the next step but I decided not to based on how the punch is broken off. The broken punch tip stops about .100 into the ejector bore. When I try to drill it, the drill bits deflect because there is no support in that area to track the drill bit. It wants to walk and snap. The TiN bits were sacrificial lambs.

I may have been able to use a small end mill bit on the outside to square off the broken punch, then drill it, but I don't have small enough end mills for that type of work.

Today I failed.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    On my last build, I tried to remove the ejector to do the head spacing. The punch began to waver, and I said, OK, I will do the spacing check with the ejector in. Know it wasn't the best way to do it, but it passed both go and no go.

OP sorry you lost your bolt.

Chad sorry this happened as well. I used to be an expert at bringing back dead hard drives. And I felt the way you do now when I had to tell someone, "sorry all your data is gone".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom