• something else

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Like Bondock I was taught to slingshot, because of gross motor skills, but from shooting IDPA it is so much faster to just hit the slide release. I only hope it sustains me if I ever "do battle".

Last edited:

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Voted weak hand thumb. With my manishly petite hands I'd have to twist my shooting hand grip to reach with my strong thumb(cz75). Found it easier to put in the mag and as I move my left hand back into shooting position it's easy to activate the slide release with my left thumb with little wasted motion.

With a Glock I can reach the release with my right thumb.

If there are people watching I hold the gun high in the air with my right hand, while swooping my left in a wide dramatic arc up to the slide, then when a hush falls I slingshot that biotch with a loud click-clack.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Lefty, so I use the over the top slingshot. For me it's consistent and that's what I am looking for.

I did notice that his reload was much smoother when he was using his preferred method. :innocent0

ultraplanet

Shooter
    Jan 10, 2013
    Swanton
    At least us lefty's are consistent. Over the top slingshot. Left index finger to release the mag while going for the fresh one with my weak hand. Don't have to break my grip at all. It's all over pretty quick.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    At least us lefty's are consistent. Over the top slingshot. Left index finger to release the mag while going for the fresh one with my weak hand. Don't have to break my grip at all. It's all over pretty quick.

That's why I went to it. I used to hit the slide lock lever with my trigger finger but there were a few times I missed it and on some of my guns it wasn't easy to do, I had to shift my hand a bit to complete it.

I've never missed when trying to grab the top of a slide.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    It's called a slide stop, not a slide release, for a reason. Fine motor skills can break down under stress, and different guns have the stop located in different spots. The ol' pinch/meathook is more reliable and repeatable.

That said I rarely shoot handguns for speed and using the supporting hand thumb to release the slide would be marginally faster. I have small hands and using the strong hand thumb to work the stop requires too much grip shifting.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Many would dispute to not look at the pistol while in a reload.

The only time I think it would be a good idea is if you are tracking more than 1 bad guy. The last thing you want to do is lose sight of your threat.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The only time I think it would be a good idea is if you are tracking more than 1 bad guy. The last thing you want to do is lose sight of your threat.

Tracking? So multiple bad guys(since you haven't shot at last one), is a great idea to look at your pistol during a reload? Why are you reloading if you're simply "tracking" and haven't shot?
    Multiple threats, if you're not running around dodging during a malfunction and concentrating looking at your reload, you're doing it wrong.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Tracking? So multiple bad guys(since you haven't shot at last one), is a great idea to look at your pistol during a reload? Why are you reloading if you're simply "tracking" and haven't shot?
    Multiple threats, if you're not running around dodging during a malfunction and concentrating looking at your reload, you're doing it wrong.

Yeah you're right of course. How silly of me...

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Many would dispute to not look at the pistol while in a reload.

The guy in the video is definitely staring at his firearm for the reload, even though he says to hold it below the filed of vision. It is obvious the guy does not have proper muscle memory. I agree that during an emergency reload one should have trained appropriately to not have to do anything but rely on tactile feel.

Agreed!

ultraplanet

Shooter
    Jan 10, 2013
    Swanton

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04