Steel Targets suited for Full Auto Fire?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    MDTCA is looking into some steel targets. The problem is that most steel targets are designed for Semi auto fire. Meaning that there is no advantage using a MG over a semi auto version of the same gun. I guess I should state we are looking for some type of interactive target, not just a plate to shoot.

Here is the issue. The real advantage to Full Auto fire and what makes it king of the battle field is the suppressive nature of it. Meaning that you keep the enemy under cover while your guys move into position to take him out. The other area where FA fire works well is in mass attack. Most people think in WWI the MG was used to shoot straight into the enemy as they advanced. However this is not the case. MGs were rarely used to shoot head on but were positioned at the flanks to fire down the line of advancing shoulders. If a column 10 men deep and 1000 men wide is come towards you, a miss on man 1 only has 9 men behind him to potentially hit. Now shoot at the side of the column. You miss one and you have 999 more chances of a hit before the bullet passes through the line. You are not picking off individual guys, you are taking out the bulk of the advance!

These principles are hard to translate into targets. Well we are a MG club and want to buy targets that fit our role. With single targets, you might as well just use a semi auto. So we need targets that offer multiple targets in depth or targets that take concentrated fire of multiple hits in short periods of time.

Here are a few ideas. A double stacked tree. You have to hit two targets in a row. This could show the advantage of FA fire.

http://www.salutetargets.com/duelin...ng-Tree-12-paddle/p/43720886/category=9323724

Another idea is kind of like the one shown here at the end of the movie. You have to keep constant fire on it to finish it off.

I have not seen a target like this but something kind of like a bowling pin setup where the first pin will not knock down the rest. However you will need to put a volume of fire into the target to get it.

Anyway we are looking for any other ideas or examples people might have. Any ideas?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Seemed to work fine for me.

Sure, a single steel plate will work just fine. It works fine for semi auto or FA fire alike. You get a nice ding but thats it. This kind of target will be left up to individual members to purchase. Nothing wrong with them but they are not expensive.

What I am looking for is a reactive target designed to show the advantage FA fire can give.

Why did MG work so well in WWI? Sure you could pick off one guy at a time as he walked across no mans land. However the MG offered serious benefits in quickly reducing the numbers of attackers. There must be depth to the target where the rate of fire becomes a factor.

We will never be able to show the benefits of suppressive fire power. You will have to go play paintball to understand why the one shot one kill idea ends in defeat when used by the military in mass every time. However I feel like we should be able to develop targets that show the advantages of FA fire on mass attack.

I think the stacked targets like in this double tap tree might really show it well.

Swearengen

Nov 13, 2012
    Baltimore Co.
    What about an array of pepper poppers? Something like this (but forward falling):

knob_creek_fall_2010_submachine_gun_competition_5.jpg

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I don't have a MG but I tucked in behind a few in my day. Something I would consider would be targets that could auto-reset on a timer. That would allow you to run an envelopment with a command to shift fire. This was a standard USMC infantry tactic. Keep the bad guys heads down and then 'walk' the good guys in from the flank, protecting them and keeping bad guys distracted as they are overrun. So the targets are knocked down and then they pop back up as a group after the command to shift fire is given. At that point they are good guys and any hits count against the shooter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom