Prep for our first 200 Yard MG shoot. MG sight in.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    MDTCA has its first 200 yard MG shoot coming June 22nd. So I figured it was time to get my optics sighted in on my MG08. Well this is no easy task!

Of course German machining ability at that time of the Great War was a bit conceited. They left no way to adjust headspace and also left no way to adjust the windage or set the elevation on their MG08 Scopes. I assume they left the factory sighted in and that was never to change. Well now almost 100 years later... my gun is not matching. The optics rail that held on to the side of the gun is not matching to the rest of the gun. So while using the optics the shots were well to the right of the target. At first I thought the sideplate was bent but that turned out not to be the case. So I ended up shimming the bracket. It was no easy task but I think I have it close enough.

Of course it took about twice as long as the gun draws a crowd and I can't help but let a lot of the people take a shot. Lucky for me I had my brother-in-law with me to help call out the hits using the spotting scope or I would have been there all day.

Another problem I did expect to have was head movement while shooting. On this setup the gun does not move. However there is nothing holding your head to the gun... so keeping your head still is hard. I started in a sitting position and had to end up laying down to get an accurate picture while using the Iron sights. The optics do make shooting much easier... even with these early optics!

IMG_20140524_120416_609.jpg

IMG_20140524_150215_228.jpg

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Just wanted to thank you for letting some of my pistol instructor students have a turn firing it during your sight in.

I beleive you were able to convincew several to join an AGC club just to have the oppoertunity to shoot with MDTCA!

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    So does AGC mind if we go to the range to site in our machineguns during non-machinegun shoots (i.e. normal days)? Do you just ask politely or do you know someone? Hoping to get out during the next machinegun shoot. When is the next one BTW?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Just wanted to thank you for letting some of my pistol instructor students have a turn firing it during your sight in.

I beleive you were able to convincew several to join an AGC club just to have the oppoertunity to shoot with MDTCA!

Haha... well if that gets them to join, we will have to do it more often! Your welcome, any time! I did not realize you had a class going. I am always happy to let people take a shot. I think I only fired about 2/3rds of the shots that day. I only took 90rds and I guess took about half home.

So does AGC mind if we go to the range to site in our machineguns during non-machinegun shoots (i.e. normal days)? Do you just ask politely or do you know someone? Hoping to get out during the next machinegun shoot. When is the next one BTW?

The AGC is fine with MGs on the range at any time. HOWEVER Full Auto fire is restricted to Shoots supervised by the MG Committee. If you notice there are no belts in the picture. No belts were even taken. All work was done one shot at a time. The AGC has always allowed MGs on the range to fire in semi auto even when FA fire was banned years ago. Next MG shoot is 6/7/2014. Next MG Qualification is this Friday 5/30! If you are not getting my month email with the dates, PM/email me and I will add you to our email list!

Lame.

Cuz I won't be there.

Sorry you are stuck down there in the prison state. Jump in the car and come on up! Maybe I will take some video for you.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Words cannot describe how awesome that rig looks!!:party29::thumbsup:

Thanks, I do enjoy it. I can help you buy one if you really want one!

This MG08 will be what I am shooting for the 200 yard shoot.

However at the next 100 yard shoot, I have a new piece to try on its baby brother! I have been looking for a rare Adapter to move the bipod on my MG08/15 from the center of the gun to the front of the gun. I have been searching the world for years! Probably 5 or so. I finally found one! Its a very interesting piece developed during the German Army Rearmament around 1936 to help upgrade the dated WWI MGs. The MG08/15, with its centered fixed bipod, tended to seesaw while shooting. This adapter allows you to move the bipod to the front of the gun. This Should help reduce this rocking. Since most Maxims were brought back to the US after WWI, this piece is VERY rare here. Probably under a handful of them in the country. Anyway, I am very curious to see how it changes thing. Anyone have a pressure sensor or scale that could pick up the shock load the stock applies downward when a shot it fired? There is no recoil force but I expect the downward force on the stock to change and I would like to measure it to see how much this really improved the gun. There is basically no research out on these upgraded WWI MGs that were still first line guns in the invasion of France and Norway.

IMG_20140526_140248_619.jpg

The adapter is the piece between the waterjacket and the booster in gray. The booster holds the piece in place.

IMG_20140526_140221_905.jpg

IMG_20140526_140308_609.jpg

necrodude

Aug 22, 2012
    PG county, MD
    By the way thanks for letting me shoot your mg. It is definitely an awesome gun. You probably don't remember me. I was the one that let you shoot my k-31 last saturday.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    By the way thanks for letting me shoot your mg. It is definitely an awesome gun. You probably don't remember me. I was the one that let you shoot my k-31 last saturday.

You are welcome and thanks, I had never shot a K31. Nice to put a face to the name. Come on out to some of our shoots and we can set you up with a MG!

Wow, nice rig! Is that water jacket all original? Is that just surface rust or old paint on the water jacket?

PM sent.

Yes all original. Its camo painted. Probably by GIs after capture. Its got the story of how it was captured on the side. It was on display at some point as you can see "German Machine gun" written on the side.

P5150022.jpg

The story of the guns capture was written on the side of the gun. It reads:
    "SPANDAU.
    GERMAN
    MACHINE GUN.
    This gun held back
    advancement of our
    Troops for 24 hrs. Was later
    captured, By the daring and courage
    of an American Lieutenant and sergeant
    it was captured intact.

The Lieutenant was badly wounded. but his
    sergeant was able to get both the officer and
    the gun back to our own lines.

It has since been discovered that the
    sergeant of this story, is the husband of one of our
    waitresses."

P5150020.jpg

P5150026.jpg

P5150029.jpg

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Not showing on the ACG calendar. It does show 2 other shoots taking place and they are different types of shoots, one is 3 gun and the other is hunting rifle. ????

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom