AR15 Trigger Upgrade - Whats your preference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    This...another huge plus 1 for geissele. You can't go wrong. I have a 3 SSA triggers, a SSA-E(currently being built in my SPR) and a S3Gun. Once I get teh SSA-E SPR gun built if you want to meet up your more then welcome to shoot all 3 triggers to try them out.

I would like to take you up on your offer, if it's open to others. Where do you shoot?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Geissele. The ALGs are also excellent. I don't think the RRA 2-stage triggers are bad, but I don't have any experience shooting them. Really, it's rather I've only heard good things from those who have them.

I'm shopping a Geissele Hi-Speed for a precision build, and probably an ACT for the recce build. :)

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    so far im really liking my ACT np3'd triggers with jp yellow springs and kns antiroll pins along with a set screw in the grip screw hole to take out the slight bit of take up...very smooth, crisp and light triggers

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I think the trigger upgrade would depend on what you want the rifle for. Precision target shooting or a Battle/SHTF rifle.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Wilson Combat. Stop by 2A and you can try before you buy.
    I'm at 2A at least once a week. I bought the BRO billet upper & lower set from Mark. I'll take a look at the Wilson's next time I'm there. Mark mentioned to me that he had them but I wanted to do a little more research first and get feedback from those who've tried them. I dry fired one a couple times years ago and liked it but never shot with one at the range.

I think the trigger upgrade would depend on what you want the rifle for. Precision target shooting or a Battle/SHTF rifle.

As far as what the build will be, midrange 16" midlength. Leaning towards a 1-4x optic. Possibly a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x MRAD. The tough part about the trigger is that I want something in the middle of precision & combat.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I'm at 2A at least once a week. I bought the BRO billet upper & lower set from Mark. I'll take a look at the Wilson's next time I'm there. Mark mentioned to me that he had them but I wanted to do a little more research first and get feedback from those who've tried them. I dry fired one a couple times years ago and liked it but never shot with one at the range.

As far as what the build will be, midrange 16" midlength. Leaning towards a 1-4x optic. Possibly a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x MRAD. The tough part about the trigger is that I want something in the middle of precision & combat.

Then I would recommend a single stage between 4 and 5 pounds. Anything less than 4 is asking for trouble especially if you plan on shooting it on the move.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    i agree with jester, the setup im using is right around 4# give or take 1/4#...it also wont break the bank either, fcg is $65 and the springs are only like $10 (iirc, which im probably off)...the kns pins and set screw are optional, but neither is expensive and both have a benefit

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    yea this is very true...i wouldnt want a 3# super match trigger on a rifle i plan on running and firing on the move with...thats just begging for a AD
    Well for 3-gun most shooters use a trigger with a fast reset and around 3-3.5#. That means either the Geissele S3G, AT AR-Gold, Wilson 3G, or the JP w/speed hammer. For something like precision shooting you want something down in the 1-2# range. For 3-gun I use the S3G but for precision I use an RRA NM w/light springs in it. A 1-4# adjustable drop in from CMC, Timney or Jard would be optimum for that kind of use in my book.
    On my trigger gauge my S3G shows 2.5# and I have tried one in one of my AR15-22 with the light springs for a measured pull of 1.25#. I shot it in a couple of speed matches and had a pro level shooter try it and he thought it was insanely fast. But I swapped back to the OEM springs because I did not want to get DQ'd for an AD. Your results may vary.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you are not used to a light single stage trigger you WILL get kicked off a range with a shot per second rule. Light triggers fired from a non experienced shooter will bump fire. Stay at 4-5# if you are not sure.

Carrying a light trigger on a carbine is perfectly safe if the gun is setup properly and the safety functions. Accidents happen when the safety is left OFF when it should be ON.

For a Single Stage trigger avoid all of the fancy crap made by Wilson, Jard, CMC, Gold, Jewel, Timney, etc.....they are junk. They realky are. They are crap, Honestly. Take the single stage Milspec trigger to a GOOD AR Smith and have them rework it. They can reliably give you a 4# Trigger for about $75-$95.00.

For 2 Stage you can cheap out and get a RRA but they are marginal for durability. I suggest Geissele. I like the SSA-E for ALL AR applications from Carbine to DMR setups.They won't bump in the hands of an inexperienced shooter and they are SAFE, Durable, and don't need tuning if you have an In-Spec Lower. Use your safety when the weapon isn't being brought up on target and you'll never have an AD/ND.

I don't like the adjustable Geissele Triggers. Adjustments in a trigger are prone to shoot lose.

Last edited:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Take the single stage Milspec trigger to a GOOD AR Smith and have them rework it. They can reliably give you a 4# Trigger for about $75-$95.00.
    I agree... I have two builds with milspec trigger parts that are really nice! JP spring kit and some tlc and you can have a great trigger from the standard lpk parts.

orangecrush

Aug 9, 2009
    cecil co.
    One of mine has a Geissele ssa-e and the other has the Geissele ssa. Only reason I have not changed the the other three ar triggers is funds.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    A cheap upgrade would be a NiB single stage, the next step would be a milspec worked over by a smith but still single stage, then you get into more expensive with many of the drop in 2 stage type triggers.

I really wished someone made a nice skeletonized regular trigger for the AR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom