• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    We got our oldest son and his wife a small chest freezer last Christmas. No matter which one I looked at they were all chinese junk. Reminded me of the dehumidifiers, probably one company that literally makes all of them for everyone.

Like car batteries...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Those little freezers are SO CUTE. They look just like a real freezer.

Think about it. 100 pounds of meat, is 4 ounces per person, for a family of 4, per day, for 100 days. For 3 meals a day, just over a month.

And for variety, if you have a larger freezer, you can add other frozen foods. I just had some nice frozen pot stickers for dinner. Much easier then making them yourself.

Freezers that don't self-defrost do less freezer burning. Freezer burning is drying out. The slight surface thaw then refreeze, over and over, basically freeze dries the edges.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Better to have two small ones than one big one. One sh!ts the bed, you still have the other. Something about all your eggs in one basket comes to mind...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That is true.

I have a chest and an upright. Chest gets long term stored stuff. Upright gets the stuff that is accessed more often (frozen pizza, lasagna, etc).

toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD
    The chest is a pain. When this crazy shit is over I am going vertical. It is easier to access. Either way it is a must in my house. We have a chest, a fridge in the house and a fridge in the garage....

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I’ll 2nd or 3rd adding liter bottles of water to your freezer to increase the frozen mass. Like having an ice battery if the power goes out for a short time.

I used to work with a lady that lived in a small off grid cabin outside telluride. Each fall she would fill up a pile of plastic 55 gallon drums, and let them freeze in the winter. In the summer she would point a fan with some crappy duct work at them and blow the cold air off them into her cabin. Free AC for the whole summer. Or so she said at least, I can't confirm.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Two comments....

1. Having had both an upright and a chest model, I much preferred the upright. Everything I want to take out always seemed to migrate to the bottom of the chest model, requiring a massive unload to find. The upright allowed for rotation of a section vs. an unload. My .02, and probably not worth that!!

2. Only on MDS would a Garand and an M1 Carbine be used for universally understood measuring sticks!!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The reason for the chest is, it keep cold longer if the power is off.

And, overall cost less to operate, since when you open them, the cold air does not flow out over the floor.

But yes, they are a pain.

The other problem is, it seems like things relocate themselves to the top of the chest freezer, making it more of a pain to get into it.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    The reason for the chest is, it keep cold longer if the power is off.

And, overall cost less to operate, since when you open them, the cold air does not flow out over the floor.

But yes, they are a pain.

The other problem is, it seems like things relocate themselves to the top of the chest freezer, making it more of a pain to get into it.
    A law of physics...flat spaces attract a variety of crap...in stacks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is why I keep reiterating, small chest freezers. Way more economical and way more efficient. Get them with top bins so you don't end up piling crap on top of crap. Screw self defost and screw the little Chinese gadgets that will or won't alert you to problems. It is an imperfect world. KISS.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    The Garand and General Motors/Inland mfg. Carbine are for size comparison.
    47b77ca69e32e3db62857bdd09c4e664.jpg
    3ecacd35c50bfe65cc4f2c144f4a07b9.jpg
    05652c25652e16dbb811c3e65ef5271e.jpg

Show off, we could have used your feet for scale no need for the arms. :)

gunone

MDS Supporter
    Sep 9, 2011
    MD
    Bumping the thread.

I was at the Arundel mills Costco this morning about 1130.

They had 4 to 5 7.0 cubic ft chest freezers for I think 299, but not totally sure on the price.

It was some brand that started with an M, but I didn't write it down.. They were close to the entrance.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Bumping the thread.

I was at the Arundel mills Costco this morning about 1130.

They had 4 to 5 7.0 cubic ft chest freezers for I think 299, but not totally sure on the price.

It was some brand that started with an M, but I didn't write it down.. They were close to the entrance.
    a-Mana! I kid.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom