• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Admittedly everyone I associate with is a self profesed gun nut like my self and they ALL have safes. What say you?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I have a few ways to lock up guns - 2 safes , cabinets with locks , and metal boxes . I have always felt a need to handle my guns with care and to reduce the chance of them being stolen .

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Honestly, most folks who only have 1 or two guns at home that I've had experience with haven't had safes to keep them in. Growing up (and to this day) my folks have the .22 rifle in the closet with the bolt stashed in a sock drawer and the Luger down in the cedar chest that all the winter sweaters stay in. My BIL doesn't have a safe for his CZ O/U. My hunting buddy didn't get a safe for his firearms until his son was born. One of the biggest collectors I've ever know of C&R stuff used to have everything stacked by the stacking swivels in his apartment and kept a loaded Thompson SMG (in semi) on his night-stand.

That said, I have no doubt that the vast majority of us on the board, being serious firearms enthusiasts in any number of ways, take our safety and our investments seriously and keep them in locking cabinets or safes. Shoot, as I said in the Walmart vs Amazon thread, I just ordered another Stack-On for my collection.

I'd say that their conclusion of "more than half" probably isn't too far off the mark. Think of all the Bubbas out there who keep a shotgun next to the front door at night, or just leave the slug guns in an open rack on the wall. We, as a community, have to be a lot harder on our fellow gun owners when we see that they don't have a safe method of storing their arms.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Honestly, most folks who only have 1 or two guns at home that I've had experience with haven't had safes to keep them in. Growing up (and to this day) my folks have the .22 rifle in the closet with the bolt stashed in a sock drawer and the Luger down in the cedar chest that all the winter sweaters stay in. My BIL doesn't have a safe for his CZ O/U. My hunting buddy didn't get a safe for his firearms until his son was born. One of the biggest collectors I've ever know of C&R stuff used to have everything stacked by the stacking swivels in his apartment and kept a loaded Thompson SMG (in semi) on his night-stand.

That said, I have no doubt that the vast majority of us on the board, being serious firearms enthusiasts in any number of ways, take our safety and our investments seriously and keep them in locking cabinets or safes. Shoot, as I said in the Walmart vs Amazon thread, I just ordered another Stack-On for my collection.

I'd say that their conclusion of "more than half" probably isn't too far off the mark. Think of all the Bubbas out there who keep a shotgun next to the front door at night, or just leave the slug guns in an open rack on the wall. We, as a community, have to be a lot harder on our fellow gun owners when we see that they don't have a safe method of storing their arms.

Valid points :thumbsup:

joma352

Jan 4, 2018
    Lower Eastern Shore
    I have a few ways to lock up guns - 2 safes , cabinets with locks , and metal boxes . I have always felt a need to handle my guns with care and to reduce the chance of them being stolen .

i keep all my guns locked up purely for the same reason, theres no young kids (or even anyone under 18) coming in my house so the only reason i keep my guns locked up is to prevent theft.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I would like to see the questions, their sample size. I do a lot of analysis at work, and a survey can easily be warped.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Coming from the Bloomberg school of medicine, I'm not sure what other outcome could have been reported. The article certainly wasn't very factual, seem like they only hit on the parts that they thought was candy for the Dems. I wonder what their condition was that made the storage of any firearm unsafe? Or for that matter, what made the storage of the firearm safe.

I would love to see the entire report and who paid for the study. I also wonder where this study was conducted?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    People do not volunteer information on jewelry, passwords, guns, financial info, or most anything else to people over the phone any more. Too many scams. People do not even volunteer who they vote for any more.

1450 people surveyed willing to volunteer security information? Who would be dumb enough to do that? I call bs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom