• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Hey all,

I've got an ar15 and ar57 and I'm trying to figure out if the flash hiders are "permanently" affixed. Neither are hand removable. Both are 16" barrels and greater than 29 OAL. I don't see any signs of obvious welding, but a more experienced eye would be appreciated. The AR-15 was a custom build, so I'm going to have to see if the FH came attached from the factory. the 57 was a purchase from gunbroker. end goal is to swap FH for a suppressor mount on the ar15 and direct thread suppressor on the 57.

thanks,
    Dave

AR-15
    https://imgur.com/nVZ2pu7

AR57
    https://imgur.com/A0JQGhZ

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    when I had my 14.5" pinned/welded/refinished the job wasn't "perfect". I mentioned it to the gunsmith and he said he usually leaves the surface not perfectly smooth so that if there's a question on legality there is some slight visible evidence.

Not a very interesting cocktail party story, but I'm not sure if that's a common practice or not. Good luck!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    From what I can see, neither are pinned/welded. The 15 has a crush washer on the device, so it should pop loose with a 19mm wrench and the rifle secured. The 57, just looks like someone bottomed out the device.

Of course, this is going off of one viewable angle on both, so...

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    From what I can see, neither are pinned/welded. The 15 has a crush washer on the device, so it should pop loose with a 19mm wrench and the rifle secured. The 57, just looks like someone bottomed out the device.

Of course, this is going off of one viewable angle on both, so...

Gotcha. The only thing I worry about is loosening the barrel out of spec if I were to put too much torque on it.

they pretty much look the same from all angles.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Gotcha. The only thing I worry about is loosening the barrel out of spec if I were to put too much torque on it.

they pretty much look the same from all angles.

They'd have to have gorilla'd the snot out of it to snap an index pin or bust a barrel extension loose on removal. Possible, yes. Likely?

If it's like my factory Stag was, about the time you start to get worried, the device will pop loose. :)

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I'm less worried about the AR than I am the 57. I put some ass into the 57 FH, and I would swear I felt the barrel move. Won't have a can for the ARs for awhile yet, but 5-7 is ready to go.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    when I had my 14.5" pinned/welded/refinished the job wasn't "perfect". I mentioned it to the gunsmith and he said he usually leaves the surface not perfectly smooth so that if there's a question on legality there is some slight visible evidence.

Not a very interesting cocktail party story, but I'm not sure if that's a common practice or not. Good luck!

On other forums I have heard that also. But to tell you the truth if LE wanted to be sure they could just try and remove it with IIRC 800ft/lbs of torque. Anti would say so what if has "blemished" surface test it!!!! But also with 14.5" barrel not many people will be able to tell it is below 16 with muzzle device on it. Human eyes are not that good. Now another owner might depending on the rail manufacturer and such and make a deduction

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Try soaking the second one pictured in some hot water for an hour, then try it. It might have Rocksett on the threads which is water soluble.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    They'd have to have gorilla'd the snot out of it to snap an index pin or bust a barrel extension loose on removal. Possible, yes. Likely?

If it's like my factory Stag was, about the time you start to get worried, the device will pop loose. :)

You may not break the steel pin on the barrel extension, but you sure can bugger up an upper receiver without too much effort.

To the OP, get a clam shell for the upper or a barrel clamp for a vice. You'll be surprised how much this will help. The proper tools will make the job a lot easier.

Just one man's opinion.....

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    You need a Geissele Reaction Rod or other tool that interfaces with the lugs in the barrel extension. That locks the barrel in place and transmits all the torque into your vice, instead of torquing your upper receiver. I have one you can borrow for a day or two if you want to pick it up in Annapolis.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    thanks all. GGG, I'll let you know. I'm actually headed down that way in the end of April, so I might take you up on that if other suggestions don't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom