• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Yes but what happens if an ar is sbr'ed with a 12.5 barrel making it long enough per MD law. Then federally its legal to change the upper to a 8 inch barrel, if its a short term swap no need to notify the ATF. The atf does not say once it has a 12.5 barrel it has to have a 12.5 barrel. Is the stamp voided, no. Now its just not legal per maryland, you could go to PA ( with the proper paperwork ) and put on a 8 inch barrel and shoot it perfectly legally. Question is how many cops would even know that technically putting on the 8 inch barreled upper on approved sbr would be a no no in MD.

I guess this is a see nothing, know nothing, answer.
    MD still has OAL length requirement for rifles, so if it has a stock it has to meet MD and ATF standards

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yes but what happens if an ar is sbr'ed with a 12.5 barrel making it long enough per MD law. Then federally its legal to change the upper to a 8 inch barrel, if its a short term swap no need to notify the ATF.
    If you form 1 it at 12.5" that it the shortest barrel you can legally have on the firearm under federal law. If you put the 8" barrel on, and by some extreme stroke of bad luck (Not sure how/what), you have ATF check your firearm against your paperwork, you are probably going to be charged federally.

That is the worst case, by the letter of the law, example.

The atf does not say once it has a 12.5 barrel it has to have a 12.5 barrel.
    ATF doesn't but federal law does.

Is the stamp voided, no. Now its just not legal per maryland, you could go to PA ( with the proper paperwork ) and put on a 8 inch barrel and shoot it perfectly legally. Question is how many cops would even know that technically putting on the 8 inch barreled upper on approved sbr would be a no no in MD.

No you can't, and further to go to PA, I believe you ned to notify the ATF as well.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    If you form 1 it at 12.5" that it the shortest barrel you can legally have on the firearm under federal law. If you put the 8" barrel on, and by some extreme stroke of bad luck (Not sure how/what), you have ATF check your firearm against your paperwork, you are probably going to be charged federally.

That is the worst case, by the letter of the law, example.
    ATF doesn't but federal law does.
    not per this lawyer

or this thread on silencer talk

or this thread here with a quote of the nfa rules.

Unless its a permanent change, no need to notify the atf. If you say its fed law I will ask for a link. I cant find one.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yes but what happens if an ar is sbr'ed with a 12.5 barrel making it long enough per MD law. Then federally its legal to change the upper to a 8 inch barrel, if its a short term swap no need to notify the ATF. The atf does not say once it has a 12.5 barrel it has to have a 12.5 barrel. Is the stamp voided, no. Now its just not legal per maryland, you could go to PA ( with the proper paperwork ) and put on a 8 inch barrel and shoot it perfectly legally. Question is how many cops would even know that technically putting on the 8 inch barreled upper on approved sbr would be a no no in MD.

You are still required to abide by MD law no matter what you WANT to do. You can go shorter than 12.5" but it must stay at least 29" OAL. So your 8" statement is illegal under MD law, due to it coming in around 27" OAL. But if you want to FAaFO with the ATF and MSP, be my guest.

Rimfire must be a dedicated upper to be able to qualify for the 556 barrel does not qualify for the exemption, because it can be fitted with a standard BCG.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    You are still required to abide by MD law no matter what you WANT to do. You can go shorter than 12.5" but it must stay at least 29" OAL. So your 8" statement is illegal under MD law, due to it coming in around 27" OAL. But if you want to FAaFO with the ATF and MSP, be my guest.

Rimfire must be a dedicated upper to be able to qualify for the 556 barrel does not qualify for the exemption, because it can be fitted with a standard BCG.
    Oh I know it is not legal to go under the 29 in MD, I am just curious how many cops would even know.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Oh I know it is not legal to go under the 29 in MD, I am just curious how many cops would even know.
    Probably, most cops wouldn't even care. Even though it is a Maryland law(29"), I believe the offense would be a federal beef(NFA). Now, if you were caught breaking a Md law or two in the process, I could see it as an additional charge. If you feel a need to live on the wild side.

Bananas79

Apr 11, 2021
    If things do go bad hopefully the new demand for SBRs spurs development of a fold to side collapsing stock with very long length of pull.

In the age of 3D printing I can’t believe a good solution isn’t already available. I think the lack of stock options to comply with the 29” rule is holding more people back from SBRs then the $200 form 1.
    1000% what holds me back

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Folding is an Evil Feature in itself .

Barring a complete turnover of the MGA for the better , if you asked them to revisit SBR , it would be to make it worse .
    ^^^^^^^^

This.

It doesn’t need to be on the list to be banned. That’s why the feature test is in the statute

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Folding is an Evil Feature in itself .

Barring a complete turnover of the MGA for the better , if you asked them to revisit SBR , it would be to make it worse .
    Only folders that allow guns to be fired while folded. LAW types are GTG.

Oh, and by the way, any king of folder on an pistol is okay as long as it doesn't have a stock attached to it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Can you point out in SB281 where it says that?
    All folders count as one evil feature on centerfire rifles.
    This is what I go by. dblas is my unofficial authority on Md gun law. (screen shot below)

Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 08-28-00 AR pistol to SBR... can I keep my folder.png

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You didn't quote the actual MD law.
    1) The Law Tactical folder DOES permit you to fire once when folded (Your quote from DBlas is technically wrong on that point.)
    2) The MD law does not state it has to be able to fire when folded. The actual text is simply:
    “COPYCAT WEAPON” MEANS:
    A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT CAN
    ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND HAS ANY TWO OF THE FOLLOWING:
    3. A FOLDING STOCK;
    "A folding stock." Thats it. NOWHERE does it mention capbility to fire. A folding stock, including the Law Tactical folder, counts as one feature.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    You didn't quote the actual MD law.
    1) The Law Tactical folder DOES permit you to fire once when folded (Your quote from DBlas is technically wrong on that point.)
    2) The MD law does not state it has to be able to fire when folded. The actual text is simply:

"A folding stock." Thats it. NOWHERE does it mention capbility to fire. A folding stock, including the Law Tactical folder, counts as one feature.
    It technically is covered by the law. When folded, the stock prevents semiauto operation. The folding stock limitation only applies to semiauto centerfire rifles. Since the rifle is not semiauto when folded, the limitation ceases to be applicable.

Additionally you should not look at SB281 in 2013 as the law may have changed since then.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well it’s still a semi auto whether it can be fired or not

Seems to me the statute makes no mention of whether it can fire or not

If my rifle has a safety on, it can’t fire either. Doesn’t change what it is

If the rifle has a folding stock, that’s a feature

Strike one, You’re out

Caveat emptor

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads