• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Pay what it is worth to you. You can look around now, and probably beat grab-a-gun, although still might be above the pre-covid price. If you wait, it will eventually get back to a reasonable price, but no telling how long that will take. I stocked up on high risk stuff (lowers/mags/ammo) soon as it looked like trouble was coming, grabbed a few odds and ends during the panic if I found something in-stock that I needed for a reasonable cost, but at this point don't plan on overpaying for anything for the next couple years, so probably not going to buy much if anything for awhile.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Thanks for feedback so far, guys!

I don't really need it. It would mainly be a plinking toy for the range. This version looks fairly southpaw friendly and has much easier disassembly for cleaning.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Hi everyone!

During this crazy times of everything being out of stock and prices high, I'm debating whether it's better to hold off on buying the Ruger Mk IV Lite that on my wish list. They use to be around $500 now I see Grab-a-gun have them in stock for $650! So by time in add in transfer fee, etc. has me debating hold off on the purchase until things calm down. What are you thought?

If you need it, buy it.

If you want it more than you want $650, buy it.

If you need or want that $650 more than you want the Ruger, don't buy it.

The way I see it, the rules aren't any different today than they are at other points in history. The prices may be higher and the availability might be tighter, but that doesn't really change personal economics. What's it worth to you?

For what it is worth, I think every free person should own at least one firearm for personal defense. If that is your purpose (a .22 wouldn't be my choice, but different folks have different requirements), I would put it right after Food, Water and Shelter in my hierarchy of needs. If you just want it as a toy (not only is there nothing wrong with that, I approve of buying guns for the shear joy of it), I'd only buy it if your basic needs are met with a healthy reserve. But then, those are my personal rules no matter who is in office and what the economy is doing.

TWM

Jul 4, 2013
    Howard Co
    If you want it, and can afford it, get it. I’ve knowingly overpaid for stuff (not just firearms) because I wanted/needed it at that time.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Your model choice seemingly suggests a want, rather than a need. If your overall realities are such that you can afford it, and you truly want it, then by all means go for it.

Nobody has a crystal ball. But I've seen a lot of these periods of shortages and price escalations. As opposed to others, my best guess is that this one gets worse, before (or perhaps even if) it gets better. Sadly, this country is IMO, truly in a place that isn't good at present, and a place unlike any I've ever seen in the same ways before.

You can certainly wait, and hope things settle. Then again, I can remember 29 cent gasoline, and heads almost exploding when gas first exceeded a dollar a gallon.

We're still waiting.....

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Given the nature of the current administration, I'd buy what I want before they get around to making things even harder. In the short/medium term, your purchase will be grandfathered in, before they try to just take it.

That's always been my MO, which is why some would say I have too many.

Proline Fisher

Mar 16, 2013
    Severn
    That's only $150 difference. I have wasted more than that on a crappy meal at a fancy restaurant before. I say pay the extra money. Whatever you decide to do, start looking for some .22 ammo now. It's pretty hard to find.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Do you fear regret having something more than regret of not having something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Asking this group about buying a gun is like asking a group of winos about whether you should get some cheap booze.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Asking this group about buying a gun is like asking a group of winos about whether you should get some cheap booze.

If only it was that cheap and easy.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    You guys are funny! lol! Actually I was expecting everyone on a gun forum to say "buy the gun" but I was surprised at the reasonable responses!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom