• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    OMG, you guys are so dumb! LOL Mounted shooting - as in, mounted on horseback. This is very popular in the South.

I don't know of anyone around here that's doing this but, if you know how to ride, it looks like fun!

That's hot!

So is the mounted shooting.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I think Atlantic Guns carries what you are looking for. Last time I was there many years ago, they had a lot of cowboy type guns.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd suggest polished stainless Rugers versus any of the others. They will be a lot easier to clean versus blued guns, since you can see the powder fouling. I'd love to get a pair of stainless Vaqueros in 44-40, since I'm shooting BP rounds in SASS.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Be aware, this isn't really shooting. It's basically barrel racing, punctuated by snapping blanks at balloons. There are no projectiles, no aiming, no real firearm handling in any meaningful sense. They just ride close to the balloon and snap a blank towards it. There is a wide cone of burning particles which will break the balloon if the gun is pointed anywhere in the balloon's general direction. This isn't really a shooting sport.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Be aware, this isn't really shooting. It's basically barrel racing, punctuated by snapping blanks at balloons. There are no projectiles, no aiming, no real firearm handling in any meaningful sense. They just ride close to the balloon and snap a blank towards it. There is a wide cone of burning particles which will break the balloon if the gun is pointed anywhere in the balloon's general direction. This isn't really a shooting sport.

They still use light loads wadded with corn cob?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Based on the video, they use .45 cal blanks loaded with black powder.

Looks like a lot of fun!

Real projectiles in a ring would be unsafe. I would rather be muzzle swept at AGC, thank you very much

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD

Yeah, what's your point? It's the closest thing to riding and shooting while staying somewhat safe.

I'm always reminded of the old Number 6:
    Hedley Lamarr: [frowns] "Number 6"? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one.
    Taggart: Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a-whompin' and a-whumpin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    SASS has a Mounted class, but the majority of the sport is sanctioned by its own Assn , Cowboy Mounted Shooting Assn IIRC.

The popular setup seems to be short ( 3.5in -ish ) with Birdshead grips . Split between Vaqueros and SAA clones as preference.

As noted , this is best aproached by experienced riders taking up shooting rather than experienced shooters taking up horses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom