• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I've done a search and it looks like Augie & SxS have posted about them.

I am going to get my hands on one this week I believe to test drive and run some shells through it.

Any advice from those with experience with them would be welcome.

All I know other than the title of the thread is that it does have a vent rib barrel and is single shot.

I can provide more details when its in my hands, but "what to look for" is what I'm looking for.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    This pretty well applies to any break open gun, first with the gun closed look at the position of the opening lever, the more to the right the better, 6 O clock means some wear and anything with lever to the left on most guns means significant wear.
    With the fore arm off and the gun closed apply a gentle twisting motion to the barrel receiver joint and see if you can feel any play, there should be none, a worn break open gun will have play there meaning the gun is off face and that requires a competent gunsmith to correct.
    Visually look at the barrel and run your fingers along the barrels, you are looking and feeling for bulges, you would be surprised at the number of old guns that were fired with an obstruction that have a bulge. On SxS's I suspend the barrels and gently hit them to see if the ring like a bell, if they do that usually means the solder joints are ok, barrels separating will make a thud sound. If they have been reblued make sure they were rust blued as hot bluing will cause the solder to fail.
    I also look at the wood for cracks, most common area is where the butt stock meets the receiver.
    These are some of the more important things I'm looking at, if I'm evaluating it as a collector gun vs a shooter or a project gun a whole lot more comes into play.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Thanks Augie. I had it in my hands this morning. Cosmetically it was very nice. Hardly any wear on the finish and the stock. Bore was very nice as well. However, as soon as I held it, I felt movement in the hinge. The opening lever was well to the left and loose. Without even taking the fore stock off, there was easily detectable play, and you could actually see the hinge pin move in the block as you wiggled it.

If it had been tight, I likely would have bought it, but with the obvious looseness, it wasn't for me. Guy was asking $400.

I appreciate the advice.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Thanks Augie. I had it in my hands this morning. Cosmetically it was very nice. Hardly any wear on the finish and the stock. Bore was very nice as well. However, as soon as I held it, I felt movement in the hinge. The opening lever was well to the left and loose. Without even taking the fore stock off, there was easily detectable play, and you could actually see the hinge pin move in the block as you wiggled it.

If it had been tight, I likely would have bought it, but with the obvious looseness, it wasn't for me. Guy was asking $400.

I appreciate the advice.

Smart move, it would probably cost 200 to 400 to have a competent gun smith put it back on face, not worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom