• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I'll start by saying that this appears to be a well made gun.

After cleaning and lubricating, I finally got out to the range. Tried to run a box of 180gn American Eagle through it (as an aside, AE ammo in this caliber is the dirtiest crap I've ever shot and won't buy it again) and I got a FTF about every third round. Looked like the round was nosing into the ramp and just gets caught before the round can go up the ramp and into battery.

I'm thinking it's one of three things (but looking for guidance):

1) ammo was underpowered and the slide was not forced back fully

2) magazine problems. It only came with one so I can't compare.

3) recoil spring is too weak, returning the slide to battery too quickly? Is this even possible?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Their support guys out in NV have a good reputation. Don't screw with it, just get warranty service on it.

That said, it sounds like a feed ramp angle or magazine issue. *shrugs*

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I bought an 1911 RIA .45 tactical in November. Also chronic FTF problems, and sometimes a failure to go into battery, with all different types of ammo, etc. Not as bad as you are experiencing but on the order of every 50 rounds or so. Put about 800 rounds through it--to see if it was a breaking-in thing.

I contacted them and sent it in for repair a month ago. Not hard to do, but call them, don't try to do it online--you will get nowhere. They say it is a 4-6 week wait, so hopefully I'll have mine back soon and it will run correctly.

Like yours, mine appeared to be a very nice looking well-made gun for the price, shot very accurately, but was very unreliable.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My RIA had the same problem with the mag it came with. Wilson Combat mags fixed that problem. My Kimber 10mm had issues with stock Kimber mags, Chip McCormick mags fixed that problem.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Mags may be a good idea. The 10mm round is longer than the 45 ACP and causes some geometry issues during feeding. The presentation of the round during cycling may be improved with a different design mag or mags held higher as suggested.

Nose dive if the nose of the bullet is actually against the feedramp. The stack of the bullets causes a greater required force to strip the bullet. The resistance to resisting the stripping action is greater than the force required to tilt the cartridge stack in the magazine. This is the nose dive. Two ways to approach this...a stronger mag spring should help keep the stack from tilting. Also a high shelf magazine catch from EGW would help. I've had guns go from excellent feed to jamb-o-matics when trying differing mag catches for the sake of experimentation. Ended up the jamb inducing catches held the magazine lower in the mag well.

There may be a feedramp angle/depth issue. The feedramp should extend not quite to the bottom of the frame cut out for the slide stop hold open stud. Any attention here is best left to a smith or in this case, RIA.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Even if you don't shoot matches with it you want to own 3-5 reliable mags, and I consider 3 to be the absolute minimum. Just remember with a single stack in a gunfight it takes 2 SS mags to equal 1 Glock mag in capacity.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Even if you don't shoot matches with it you want to own 3-5 reliable mags, and I consider 3 to be the absolute minimum. Just remember with a single stack in a gunfight it takes 2 SS mags to equal 1 Glock mag in capacity.

Too bad someone doesn't make a Glock/1911 hybrid.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yeah, I tried to buy mags over the weekend, but the WC 10mm mags are out of stock everywhere.

I may just try some .45 mags in the interim as many people claim they work well.

The .45 mags may work, but you'll likely have issues activating the slide stop or chambering the last round.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It's almost impossible to diagnose without more details. Heres my advice.

1) DON'T let anyone in that gun.
    2) YOU stay out of the gun.
    3) Unless you send it back to RIA, see #1. This rule does not apply to Trikshot or a REPUTABLE Smith. Remember any work not done by RIA will void the warranty, and if there's something wrong, you won't get it fixed for free if someone else, no matter how good they are.
    4) Lube the crap out of that gun. Don't use baby seal tears, or frog jizz. Just use some oil, the more the merrier, it may get on your shooting glasses.
    5) Try different ammo.
    6) Buy good mags made for a 10mm. Don't go cheap.

Do 4, 5, and 6 and the problem may go away.

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Yeah, I tried to buy mags over the weekend, but the WC 10mm mags are out of stock everywhere.

I may just try some .45 mags in the interim as many people claim they work well.
    Everyone's advice is very sensible. Let me add that I will be meeting a customer at Freestate Gun Range this Wednesday, 6/3/15, at 2 PM. If you can meet me there at 3:30 PM, I can check things out for you and suggest what the issue might be that is causing your FTF problem. There will be no charge to you (Freebie!!!). Bring about 15 rds of ammo and I'll bring some. I can shoot your weapon and then talk with you. Please let me know by tomorrow evening (via PM) if you can make it Wednesday at 3:30 PM. I do suspect that RIA can fix this issue under warranty, which is the best way to go. If they can't fix, then give me a call.
    John (Trikshot)

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Everyone's advice is very sensible. Let me add that I will be meeting a customer at Freestate Gun Range this Wednesday, 6/3/15, at 2 PM. If you can meet me there at 3:30 PM, I can check things out for you and suggest what the issue might be that is causing your FTF problem. There will be no charge to you (Freebie!!!). Bring about 15 rds of ammo and I'll bring some. I can shoot your weapon and then talk with you. Please let me know by tomorrow evening (via PM) if you can make it Wednesday at 3:30 PM. I do suspect that RIA can fix this issue under warranty, which is the best way to go. If they can't fix, then give me a call.

John (Trikshot)

An incredibly generous offer, and one I wish I could take advantage of, but alas, I will be in meetings in Herndon at that time :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm having the same issue with my Hardballer. Might hafta let this Trikshot feller have a look at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom