• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WolfPlayer

Aug 7, 2010
    Long time lurker. Not much of a poster. I'm trying to nail down the law for shipping a regulated handgun out of state to a gunsmith for some work. The gunsmith has an FFL. Pre-SB281 you could ship to an FFL gunsmith and then they could ship back directly to you (according to searches here - personally, I have never done it). However, I can't seem to find information on how this may have changed (or did not change) since SB281. Any input would be helpful.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    To my knowledge nothing has changed for this process. You will need to included a copy of the FFL with the shipment.

WolfPlayer

Aug 7, 2010
    To my knowledge nothing has changed for this process. You will need to included a copy of the FFL with the shipment.

Sorry - just a bit confused by "You will need to included a copy of the FFL with the shipment." Does that mean that I must ship from my local FFL? I had read on here that you can ship your own regulated firearm directly to an out-of-state FFL. Is that not true?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If the receiving FFL will accept the shipment from you, it's legal. Check with the FFL to see if he accepts shipments from non FFL's. Include a copy of your DL. No requirement to include FFL paperwork. If he doesn't you must ship via a MD FFL

No USPS either, Must go Fed Ex or UPS.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Sorry - just a bit confused by "You will need to included a copy of the FFL with the shipment." Does that mean that I must ship from my local FFL? I had read on here that you can ship your own regulated firearm directly to an out-of-state FFL. Is that not true?

This means, YOU can ship the gun (for repair) directly to him and him back to you. You will need to include a copy of HIS FFL in the box with the shipment. Your state DL should be included.

I would (always) include his FFL, in the event it is lost (label removed or ripped), it can be sent to him based on the inclosed paperwork.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is no legal requirement to include the receiving FFL's license if you ship the gun yourself.and the FFL kmows it's coming.Why would you include a copy of the receiving FFL's license if you are shippin the gun TO him.? Now if you ship via MD FFL I'd agree with that.

If you disagree, please provide a cite for this.

ETA-if you ship the gun, Federal law requires you declare the shipper it is a firerarm.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If you disagree, please provide a cite for this.

Ew boy, typical MDS pissing match has officially begun! :sad20:

An individual may ship a handgun to a licensed gunsmith or the manufacturer in any state, and the gunsmith or manufacturer may return that handgun directly to the same individual in any state.

If you choose not to include any of his info (like, in my case I ask for an FFL copy), that's up you. I figure it covers two potential problems:

1) You KNOW you are shipping to an actual legitimate smith.
    2) If it is lost, stolen, opened or damaged in shipment someone can see it was going to a licensed firearms dealer,.... not your brother in law.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As I stated, there is no legal requirement to put the FFL info in the shipment. That was my point. Not a pissing contest at all.

You can put whatever you want in the package. But an FFL's license is not legally required. That's all.

I did point out including a copy of your DL is recommended. That makes more sense to me than a copy of the FFL paperwork. He knows who he is. He doesn't know who YOU are.

You can look at the BATFE web site to see if his license is legit. If the smith is going to log the gun into his bound book, a DL provides more info for his bound book.

I'm not saying what you propose is bad, just that it's not required.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    PJ is actually correct to a point.

There is no law to mandate a copy of the FFL, but the shipper will often want verification that you are actually sending the firearm to a FFL. Yes, most shipping carrier employees don't know what a FFL is or looks like. Some will say they can't even ship it, when that happens you ask for a supervisor and I bet that person will process the shipment but they will ask to VIEW the FFL to verify the destination.

UPS and FedEx will only ship a handgun Next Day for an individual. Long Guns can go Ground.

USPS will only ship Long Guns from an individual.

You MUST declare the contents as a firearm. Failure to do so is a crime.

Before shipping, as said, make sure the FFL accepts shipments from non FFLs and ask for a copy of their FFL to show the carrier. If they won't give you a copy of the FFL you may have problems shipping. Not all FFLs accept out of state stuff done individuals even though they are legally allowed to.

Make a black and white photocopy of your DL and enclose it with the gun. Make sure its enlarged and B/W, as copying an I.D. is a grey area by shippers and places that make copies for customers.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Just make sure not to ship any standard-capacity magazines. It'll be illegal for them to be sent back to you.

IANAL

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Now that's a way to start a real MDS pissing contestb !!

Attachments

• pissing.jpg
      pissing.jpg
      10.8 KB · Views: 335

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Naw, they got it together. Ship using Fedex NDA. Make sure it's boxed up before you go into the shipping office. Let them know it's a fire arm and your good to go. I would for my peace of mind enclose a copy of the ffl's licence and at least a return address to you just In case something goes wrong. Copy of DL would work.
    Last time I shipped something back to the factory for a recall they sent me a copy of everything I needed to stuff in the box.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    Post #9 Clandestine's is:thumbsup:

I just shipped a hand gun 2 weeks ago so I'll add a few things.
    You cannot ship from satellite locations such as a ups store.

* I had to go to the UPS service hub in Landover.
    * You must declare it a regulated fire arm (this triggers the FFL req).
    * Gun must be packaged in a non de-script box.
    * The copy of FFL is required by the shipper (if they know their policy)
    * Handgun must be shipped next day air with adult signature required

It cost me $110 with insurance to ship a 6" King Cobra to MO

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I know it isn't relevant now, but just for a historical reference, what did one do before UPS and Fedex?

There were no FFLs before UPS. You just mailed what ever to whom ever. You could order a firearm by sending a letter with a check, and the firearm would show up at your house.

My first UPS package was a Crosman M1 Carbine BB gun, ordered from Herter's. UPS was brand new, and did not deliver everywhere. I was on the border of the map in the catalog, but ordered with UPS as it was much cheaper, and a week or so later, the brown truck came with my BB rifle. :)

FedEx is much later.

Snapper

Mar 29, 2014
    www.shipmygun.com

I just used this website to ship a 1911 for blueing. Cheaper than UPS/FedEX.

You enter the shipping info, put in your credit card info, and they email you the shipping label. Just drop it off at UPS...easy peesy.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Not to belabor the point, but when people travel out of state to go hunting they often ship their rifles ahead. Does this mean the outfitter at the destination would need an FFL to receive their customers firearms, and return them after the trip is completed? What if an outfitter is not involved and you're traveling to hunt with your brother?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Not to belabor the point, but when people travel out of state to go hunting they often ship their rifles ahead. Does this mean the outfitter at the destination would need an FFL to receive their customers firearms, and return them after the trip is completed? What if an outfitter is not involved and you're traveling to hunt with your brother?

I believe in cases like that you ship the gun to yourself

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom