• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    Will this license be free? No? Oh, so you have to pay a fee to vote. Sounds a lot like a poll tax to me. And I don't care if that fee is 1 penny. It is still charging someone to use a right and that is unacceptable. Voter suppression, be it by the Republicans or the Black Panthers is a bad thing. It should not be tolerated.

So are you ok with it if it's free?

If you are who you say you are it's really easy to prove.

It could be made very easy to get a voters ID. Easier than voting in a lot of cases.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013

It could be made very easy to get a voters ID. Easier than voting in a lot of cases.

Well, free is a different situation. I haven’t thought about a free system too much but I do understand the need to work against voter fraud. If a fair unrestrictive system could be put into place I wouldn’t see the unconstitutionality of it.

I just oppose ideas like the North Carolina one which is being designed specifically to restrict voting.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Will this license be free? No? Oh, so you have to pay a fee to vote. Sounds a lot like a poll tax to me. And I don't care if that fee is 1 penny. It is still charging someone to use a right and that is unacceptable. Voter suppression, be it by the Republicans or the Black Panthers is a bad thing. It should not be tolerated.

It could and should be free. If not, I agree with you.

And I get that a lot of people on this board are pretty racists/sexists (Only white males can vote, seriously guys?) but I want you to realize that this is a public forum. Anyone can look in here and see these comments. You all do the pro gun movement a disservice by spouting this crap.

That's one nut job, not "a lot of people."

Frankly, I don’t like abortion too much either but I do not believe that it is the government’s responsibility to tell people what to do with their body or to dictate morality via laws.

By that logic, laws against murder are "dictating morality" and thus not the government's responsibility.

Victory or Death

Jul 6, 2012
    Where are these free female contaceptives you speak of? I've seen lots of places handing out rubbers, but never anything for a woman?

Don't remember the Sandra Fluke issue do you? beyond that, the mere notion somehow republicans want to take away contraceptives is what we hear in every election. While I don't agree with RightNYer on women voting, I do agree the fact that these issues are even present, let alone deciding factors in elections, in the national discussion show how dangerous of times we live in.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm disgusted by the turn this thread has taken.

Some of you are taking the very same arguments that the gun control crowd apply to us and our right to keep and bear arms and applying them to other rights for other people. We sue the state of Maryland over requiring a license to exercise one right, yet it's okay for other people to require a license to exercise a different right? How is that not hypocrisy?

As people who have had our rights eroded and are fighting to get them back, I'd assume that we'd have more sympathy for the rights of others. I guess I was wrong. :sad20:

Rights are rights. We don't get to pick and choose which ones we stand up for. We have to protect them all, even the ones we don't like. That's what we're asking the gun control crowd to do with us, right?

RightNYer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2013
    Don't remember the Sandra Fluke issue do you? beyond that, the mere notion somehow republicans want to take away contraceptives is what we hear in every election. While I don't agree with RightNYer on women voting, I do agree the fact that these issues are even present, let alone deciding factors in elections, in the national discussion show how dangerous of times we live in.

So you agree that women are myopic and too emotional to use good judgment, but don't agree that they should be denied the right to vote? How do you reconcile those?

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD

Some of you are taking the very same arguments that the gun control crowd apply to us and our right to keep and bear arms and applying them to other rights for other people. We sue the state of Maryland over requiring a license to exercise one right, yet it's okay for other people to require a license to exercise a different right? How is that not hypocrisy?

As people who have had our rights eroded and are fighting to get them back, I'd assume that we'd have more sympathy for the rights of others. I guess I was wrong. :sad20:

Rights are rights. We don't get to pick and choose which ones we stand up for. We have to protect them all, even the ones we don't like. That's what we're asking the gun control crowd to do with us, right?

You are confusing "identification" with "license." Proving who you say you are is far different than requiring a license. I forget which election it was, but a recent one in a contested area, people showed up to vote only to be told "they already voted." I find that highly suspicious.

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy

I do, but she wanted to buy an insurance policy that paid for it. It's no more free than visiting the Doctor and using your insurance.

You are looking at it wrong. Licensing to own is wrong, a voting license(?) also wrong, but proving ID is not licensing. I have no problem providing ID when I buy a firearm. I also don't have a problem with a simple, fast background check. I may be in the minority with the last part, but I don't know.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    .....and this bunch looks to women to swell the ranks as advocates in the fight for 2A, and meanwhile while you advocate repealing the 19A????

Disgusting, alright.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    .....and this bunch looks to women to swell the ranks as advocates in the fight for 2A, and meanwhile while you advocate repealing the 19A????

Disgusting, alright.

As was pointed out earlier, not a bunch, just a crackpot. However, I do support any and all members who wish to point out that anyone calling for the restriction of voting rights based on gender and/or race is not only ignorant, but also counter productive to any political goals which this group may hope to achieve.

By repeatedly pointing out that the opinions of a few bigots do not reflect the opinions of the whole, we help present our entire community in a better light.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Kind'a interesting that we need to REGISTER to vote, but that so many oppose anything that somehow indicates you are legally registered. Good Lord, we've had people illegally voting including professional elections officials voting in and out of their valid precincts. An ID card would nail them down to a particular address and force them to provide some evidence (although not neccessarily proof) they are the person who is actually registered. I believe, in at least some elections, voter fraud has been rampant. In our current climate, it only takes 2-3% to swing an election...and sometimes significantly less. I'm sorry, there may be some racists who would do what they can to deny voting rights to others. However, among Conservatives and libertarians I know, virtually all are truly concerned about illegal voting. Furthermore, in as many Liberals who claim to be concerned about violating voting right, there are among them some who have set out to pervert the process. Once integrity in voting is compromised (and it's getting there if not there already) our Republic is doomed.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm closing this one. The VA Gov's race is over and lost. It also hasn't been mentioned in the last few pages. There's a few other similar threads kicking around last night that are more appropriate to the thread detour this one took.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom