• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm starting to work up a load for 7.62x39 using the Lee 312-160-2R mold that I have had success with 300BLK & 7.62x54r. These will be plinking loads and my target is accuracy of Tulamo range safe on an SKS @ 100 Yards.

Guzma, I'm expecting you to post cause I saw you mention you have reloaded for it.

The lee Die set came with 2 expanding/decapping rods. I switched out and used the smaller one cause the larger one did not leave enough neck tension. Using the Lyman M die, it opens it up a tad from the .306 it starts at.

The Lee 312-160-2R has a fat front so I know that depending on the throat, Seating depth may come into play. I found that the throats on my Russian SKS, Chinese SKS and VZ2008 could tolerate an OAL of 2.200 which is the max.

I found however the SKS fed better down at 2.160" and the VZ2008 down at 2.145"

The VZ2008 beat them to heck. The magazine feed lips I think held onto the round a little longer and created an angle to the point that on the last round only, it would get stuck while feeding @ 2.160". All the rounds before it fed fine. Maybe the floor plate on the mag was to blame? When I moved it to 2.145", it fed fine. VZ2008 beat them to hell though putting dents in the PC bullet. Pics before and after feed testing. (fed/manually cycled about 5-8 times from each of the 3 rifles)

I'm targeting 14-15.5gr Alliant 2400, but I'm still doing research.

Anyone else reload Cast for 7.62x39 care to comment as I'm working this out?

OH, one thing surprised me is these cases use Large Rifle Primers, not Small like 300BLK
    fcc99637015d991a34a90d9babe42c6d.jpg

5423a9f88cd0b7b3d3b767e75353cf68.jpg

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I mainly reloaded 7.62x39 for my RAR with great accuracy, but the drop from 100 to 200 yards is pretty big when following the mild cast load data in my lyman handbook. I'm sure they can be pushed faster. Since it was loaded for a bolt action, I didn't have to worry about feeding or cycling

I did load cast bullets in 308 feeding it in a FAL. I had to seat them shorter than usual to assure proper feeding. Due to the violent nature of feeding system, it always roughens up the powdercoating, but fed it great enough for steel blasting.

After running ~300 casts and an untold amount of steel cased ammo through the FAL, I noticed that the piston cap was hard to open, taking a bit of penetration oil and tapping to get it to budge. The piston system was completely gunked with what I presume is powdercoat residue (like what I am experiencing with my VP9 on what I thought was leading) and carbonized soot. The gas port was pretty clear, but the piston body and channel were mainly gunked up. Despite being gunked up, it still cycled fine, but would probably malfunction eventually. Scrubbed it up with copper mesh (could probably do steelwool) and all is good.

As a takeaway, I assume your sks and vz2008 piston systems may experience the same thing so make sure you clean it periodically after shooting casts out of it. Here's a good article reference. Good luck:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=29498.0

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    Been quite awhile but going from my lablel on the loads I used:

The Lee 312-155 sized at .314
    16.5 gr 2400
    OAL 2.175
    Lube was one of my beeswax/petroleum blends

IIRC it took about 16 grains to cycle my sks. I don't think the load was exceptionally accurate but was ok for plinking.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Been quite awhile but going from my lablel on the loads I used:

The Lee 312-155 sized at .314
    16.5 gr 2400
    OAL 2.175
    Lube was one of my beeswax/petroleum blends

IIRC it took about 16 grains to cycle my sks. I don't think the load was exceptionally accurate but was ok for plinking.

Thanks for the input, do you recall the velocity?
    I did see someone on another site mention having to get to 16gr of 2400 while others said 15.5 with that bullet.

Was yours gas checked?

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    I don't have the velocity in my notes. I did chrono them then but can't recall the numbers.

IIRC I started around 14.5 -15 grains and my gun wouldn't cycle reliable until I got to 16.5. I didn't want to go any higher because I believe that was near the top of the data I found.

They where checked. Not sure if they where hornady, gator or some aluminum checks I used back then.

I never really was pleased with the results. Considered switching to H4198 but I didn't have that much of that powder on hand and kinda loss interest I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom