• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FoxtrotAviator

Apr 7, 2013
    Yeah it's a Great T-shirt Shop.
    I just got back. And I'm surprised to report....They DID NOT walk me to the door with my firearm. Maybe they stopped that. After going over all the paperwork, they put it in a bag and handed it to me over the counter.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, after what they've done over the past couple of years I know I regard them as a fishing tackle shop, so the name fits finally I guess.

The name is actually Outdoor World, which is a combination of Bass Pro and Redhead.

After my experience in August 2014, I just throw the mailers away. I was going to buy ammo, my brothers were going to buy ammo. my brothers were each going to buy $800+ safes and the salesman had the backroom guys working on pulling the safes, and one of my brothers was going to buy a Benelli Super Vinci for $1,500. The laptop was a POS for the online Form 4473 on the shotgun, and then one salesman out of nowhere decided to stick his nose into the transaction, even though he had nothing to do with it, because I was trying to get the pointer to move for my brother. We walked away from everything. Only regret is that one of my brothers had started a credit card application to get an additional discount, and they had already run his credit. Both brothers bought safes at Dicks.

I have never bought a gun at Outdoor World, and it would have to be the last firearms seller on the face of the earth, and me be unable to make what I want, before I bought a gun from it.

Between getting pissed at Bass Pro for that incident and at Midway for cancelling my CCI Mini-Mag backorder that I had been waiting a year for, Cabela's, Gamaliel, Brownells, Walmart, and Amazon will be getting a lot more of my business.

Looks like I am in a crappy mood tonight. Second rant of the night for me.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I don't hate the place, but I don't buy guns there. Frankly my biggest issue with it is the crowds. I tend to avoid Arundle Mills in general, so when I go there once or twice a year I swing in to BP to get anything there that I really need and then move in again quickly.

I avoid Arundel Mills like the plague. The BPS gun counter there is just about everything I hate about bad gun shops. It makes me appreciate our better small shops that much more.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Well, I'm neither a big BPS nor Arundel Mills Mall fan, but I've never had any issues with BPS in the past. Sounds like the OP, despite saying he KNEW all about Bass Pro, actually didn't know or ask whether the gun was in stock vs. sitting in a warehouse, any other particular policy quirks that might affect his purchase, etc; BUT THE GUN WAS RIGHT THERE, so emotions got the best of him....

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    This past week I purchased targets and a few other items. The young check-out girl between cracking gum and just plain ass ignorant really peeded me off. When I arrived home, logged onto their web site and blasted the check-out person.

Just felt good getting it off my chest.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    Every time I go to BPS it seems like a very, very "corporate" (shallow and fake) attempt at appearing outdoor-sportsman friendly.

If I want to be treated like a human being and not cattle with a credit card, I go to 2A Sales in Jessup.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I bought a pistol there. Filled out the forms, paid and waited for thier call. I don't remember how long it took but when they called I dropped by and picked up my pistol. I think they walked my gun to the door when I was done shopping, NBD.

Big box retailers have all different kind of employees dealing with all different kinds of customers so they need to be careful and follow well defined procedures. Frankly I feel lucky to live in a country where, even in one of its most gun unfriendly states, I can buy an M4 carbine at the mall. Thanks Bass Pro! :)

bama47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 9, 2013
    Marylandistan
    I have bought to shotguns there over the years and the one time I considered getting the HQL, to the the specific handgun I wanted, they wouldn't even let me look at it so they kept me firmly planted in the FTHQL and the FBPS camps!

DrCatt

A Knight Without Armor
    Mar 11, 2013
    Carroll County
    Maybe I'm shopping out of season, but I've never seen a reasonably priced firearm at BPS! Their fly fishing section is nice though.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I think you guys should give bass pro more credit.

They are a corporate chain, designed to make money. When they opened that Bass Pro, they could have easily just said "No guns, MD laws are too complex" and not even carry guns or ammo. That would have been the easy way. No, BPS took the hard way, figured out the law in this f'd up land, filled out the forms, and became a Maryland-legal gun store.

Now, to give BPS even MORE credit, they are keeping up with the current BS laws in MD and still selling guns. Again, that is the easy way, but they choose to comply and went the hard route by continuing to sell guns.

Don't get me wrong, BPS makes money, but I would be willing to bet that the BPS at Arundel Mills would still be a money maker if they ripped the guns out.

There is a lot of overhead when it comes to an operation like BPS. You probably have a ton of coprorate, legal crap to deal with, but I personally am not going to sit here and talk shit on BPS. Gun stores are becoming a rare site in MD, so I welcome any of them that are willing to deal with the harsh turf that comes with selling guns in MD.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a gun from BPS. They are too far away and I would rather keep my money local.

MD521

Apr 21, 2015
    Handgun Purchase

I purchased a handgun there 7 days ago today. Judging from the posts here I expect to get a call on Wednesday (10 days including non-business days). I will keep you all posted.

Greisnir

Apr 22, 2015
    Bought a 10/22 a month ago at Bass pro, pointed at the gun I wanted, filled in the paperwork and handed the guy my ID, after the FBI-check and payment I was given the gun and walked out to my car.
    No troubles what so ever.

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    I picked up a Henry .22 as BPS when it was on sale about a year ago. I thought it was a pretty smooth process, except for 3-4 different employees having to verify the serial number...LOL. Overall, I don't think BPS prices are that great, but every now and again you can find a deal.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Bought a shotgun there couple of years ago-between the BP saleprice-the $150 I got back for opening a credit card (10% up to $150)and the Browning tax rebate-it was April-I couldn't afford to not buy it (as I told my wife) Reasonably quick transaction-one older guy at the gun counter handled it and walked me to door, maybe took 45 minutes to an hour including the paperwork and the credit app. I think it was a Sunday morning, no regrets.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    Move South. It will take you less than 45min for you bring your new handgun home. You can also have it loaded in your lap if you wanted.

No gun under the hood, bullets in the gas tank BS.

MD521

Apr 21, 2015
    Picked up my handgun on the 10th Day

BPS was able to clear up a minor issue with my paperwork or it would have been sooner.

Purchased on Sunday and had my purchase in hand he following Wednesday :party29:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I tried to order a rifle at BPS once. They took my money, and promptly lost my paperwork. When I came back a month later, they had never heard of me, and didn't want to give a refund. Some crap about "we don't do returns on guns". "It's not a return - you guys can't complete the sale".

I finally got the refund, and ordered the rifle elsewhere. Too many morons working there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom