• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chestnutlouie

Mar 5, 2017
    mid Maryland
    Retirement location

Lookup the Jefferson Rifle Club, nice facility, great cowboy action shooting, LOW membership cost and the area between the rifle club and Hannover PA is rural and quiet.

Thanks
    Francis

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    We looked in Delta a couple years ago. New Home on about 1/2 acre, think it was going for around $400k. The school and property taxes were a little over 8k :eek:

Yep see. Everyone thinks PA is the promised land in retirement. It's not, my wife and I grew up there and left after we graduated college. Our families still cannot understand how we pay a set property tax to the county and noting else other then income tax. There are many cheaper places in the US to live after retirement but they are not on the east coast.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    We just signed a contract to have a house built in Jefferson County, WV. We also weighed the pros and cons of PA vs. WV and for us, WV won. It is close enough to everything we have now (family, doctors, hospitals, specialty stores, AGC, etc.) that the extra driving time is not onerous. From all I have been able to read, it will be cheaper for us by a fair amount compared to what we are now paying in MD. WV is also far redder than PA which is probably a major factor in our decision. Portions of PA (and VA for that matter) are getting increasingly more liberal and they tend to be in high population areas which then tend to swing the whole state that way. Much like BC, PG, MC, HC, and AA dictating for the rest of the counties in MD. Good luck!

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    If you want motorcycle routes as mentioned in your other thread, WV is the place to be.

Being up here in Harford, riding around York and Lancaster counties in PA is not bad either but the roads have a lot of patches, and pot holes compared to where I've been in WV.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Schools are better in WV? You may want to do your research on that. Overall schools in MD are among the best in the nation. Even the ones in the more densely populated areas of Maryland are wayyyy better then your average schools in the nation. Much of it has to do with the schools in MD are controlled on the county level.

When my GDs moved/transferred from Frederick County to WV they were behind...so maybe its Fake News but I go by actual information.

Also WV is not nearly as Liberal as MD so I'm all for that...

And My GDs Start with the Pledge of Allegiance every School Day MD no so...

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Born and raised in PA and no way would I retire in PA, getting to BLUE. The teacher pension system will eventually break the bank, along with their very liberal leanings.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    When my GDs moved/transferred from Frederick County to WV they were behind...so maybe its Fake News but I go by actual information.

Also WV is not nearly as Liberal as MD so I'm all for that...

And My GDs Start with the Pledge of Allegiance every School Day MD no so...

I also heard something similar from an elementary teacher in St. Mary's County Maryland who had moved there from Elkins, WV. Said the schools in that area of WV where she used to teach were better, mainly because of the student/teacher ratio which allowed them to work more one on one with the children.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Berkeley County Demographics Summary by cubit:

"With 111,901 people, Berkeley County is the 2nd most populated county in the state of West Virginia out of 55 counties.
    But watch out, Berkeley County, because Cabell County with 96,844 people and Monongalia County with 104,236 people are right behind you."

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I'm still 12 years away from retirement and I'd move back to PA in a heartbeat. I love WV but not sure the wife would want to go there long term. I don't think there is a bad choice between the two of them!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Jefferson Co also has the highest income levels in WV, primarily because so many of the resident commute to DC area/ NoVa . In many ways it is more a far outer suburb of DC, than stereotypical West Virginia .

callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland
    I say WV. Lower taxes overall, and if you're near Morgantown (right over the state line almost, from MD) you'll have the university hospital right there.

If you don't mind a longer drive, KY (where I grew up) or TN would be even better. Lexington is a medical town, and UK has a great hospital. Both states are totally free as far as 2A, and TN is a much longer drive but you also will have no income tax.

When you're leaving MD they should change the "Welcome to West Virginia" sign to "Welcome to America".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom