• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Good on BP for sticking to their old price. However, it would have been just fine if they had decided to raise the prices on them to reflect the new market realities.

Absolutely agreed on that. The fact that he didn't will likely net them MORE revenue over time, all things considered.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I paid $2975 for my M10 1.5 years ago, but the going rate is now $3500. What do you think is a fair price for me to sell it?

I don't set prices for others person property. Im just commenting on how fair the Bass Pro price is. That's very upsetting to some folks.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I don't set prices for others person property. Im just commenting on how fair the Bass Pro price is. That's very upsetting to some folks.

If you were me what would you sell it for?

$200 that it cost in the 80s?
    $400 in the 90s
    $2975 that I paid
    $3500 that people are currently paying.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Not enough profit for me, it's a basic "risk vs. reward" ratio.

The risk (not finding another for the same or less money) vs the "reward" ~$500 bucks......?

Nah.

You aren't selling literally dozens to hundreds of them, along with ammo, optics, safes, clothing, etc.

Time will tell. My money is on a lot of people having buyers remorse here pretty soon, it's like people are "invested" in things going as badly as humanly possible, when someone suggests the possibility of that not happening,... their feelings get hurt.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Look fella, I've made $30k in 30 days, with very little value added on my part aside from having cash, being smart and putting my money where my mouth is.

I have NO issue with profit, no matter where or how it materializes.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I guess the question is, do we celebrate the guy who gets smoked at a local gun dealer, or the guy smart enough to be at BP at the right time and get the same exact thing for the same retail it was 6 months ago.

Should be an easy answer.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Bass Pro employs some really great people

Hi Everybody. I'm new to the forum but not new to shooting by any means. When the massacre in Connecticut happened I decided that if I ever wanted to get an AR I probably better poop or get off the pot. I'm an avid recreational target and trap shooter and never saw a real need to own a small caliber center fire rifle...until I thought maybe I couldn't. Every time I purchase a firearm I do so with the idea that it will eventually end up in the hands of my children and grandchildren so I try and get guns that are relatively nice. By that I mean spending a few extra dollars to get the S&W or whatever the case may be. So with that in mind I figured maybe my kids won't even be allowed to own something like an AR so I decided to just go ahead with it, plus it gives me great pleasure to feel like I'm poking Senator Mikulski right square in her beady little eye. So in my search to get a little background on AR's I talked to some LEO friends and ended up here, which is a really great site by the way. I ended up going to BP for several days in a row before they opened thinking that sooner or later the truck would show up and I'd be able to own a possibly soon to be rare gun and 50 years from now one of my great grand-kids would be at a range somewhere and their shooting buddies would drop their jaws when my historic gun was uncased. On New Years Day I showed up a little later than normal but still grabbed a low number. I talked to some really nice people there, one guy who was buying one as a college graduation present for his son. Another guy who was buying one because it was one of his bucket list guns and he thought maybe the window was closing on his opportunity. Anyway I waited a few hours or so and watched as the last Colt was taken down from the rack and the inevitable had happened: close but no cigar. I had two numbers ahead of me so I figured I've gone this far why not just wait for my number and then I can talk to the BP guy and maybe feel him out a little for what, if anything, they anticipate getting. So my number gets called and I told the guy I wanted a Colt but I realize they just sold the last one. He says "wait a minute let me go in the back and check on something." He comes back out and tells me "one of the associates who works here had one on hold and I talked him into giving it up." I was completed dumbfounded. I couldn't believe someone would give up their gun to a stranger or even that an employee would ask another employee to do it. I'm jazzed about a new gun like always when you get a new gun, especially something different from what you're used to, but the human interest side of this is almost too good to be true. Not to get too sappy or anything but the fact that a BP employee did that for me speaks volumes about the character of their gun department employees and their commitment to the shooting community at large. I offered some money as a gratuity to show my appreciation and they said they couldn't accept it. Again, it just blew me away. Thank you Pop-Gunner and please express my gratitude to your coworkers. I know you took some heat for this thread and a guy like me, who is a perfect stranger, benefited.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    ... Every time I purchase a firearm I do so with the idea that it will eventually end up in the hands of my children and grandchildren so I try and get guns that are relatively nice. ... So my number gets called and I told the guy I wanted a Colt but I realize they just sold the last one. He says "wait a minute let me go in the back and check on something." He comes back out and tells me "one of the associates who works here had one on hold and I talked him into giving it up." I was completed dumbfounded. I couldn't believe someone would give up their gun to a stranger or even that an employee would ask another employee to do it. ... Not to get too sappy or anything but the fact that a BP employee did that for me speaks volumes about the character of their gun department employees and their commitment to the shooting community at large. ... Thank you Pop-Gunner and please express my gratitude to your coworkers. I know you took some heat for this thread and a guy like me, who is a perfect stranger, benefited.

Welcome to the forum. Great first post.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    What's the "hit"? They are still paying within a few percent of the SAME price from the distributor,... right? So, they would be making the exact same on the same unit, only difference being they can sell them with days of them coming in vs weeks or months. Less inventory, faster turn around on the investment.

Did you completely ignore the first part of my post that you failed to quote? BP will not go out of business if an AWB goes through. Local shops will be taking the brunt of the ass fvcking given to us by the politicians who will bring the AWB. If BP can't sell AR's, you think they give a shit? Guns are a tiny portion of their stock. Now go to a local shop and count the items you see that will effectively be made illegal with the stroke of a pen. Pistol grips, 10+ round mags, flash hiders, collapsible stocks, the majority of the semi auto rifles on the wall, etc. Then, to top it all off, while the manufacturers are sent back to the drawing board to begin making AWB compliant rifles and mags, the local shops will sit there twiddling their thumbs losing money because they can't sell shit thanks to our wonderful, level headed politicians who pass laws to protect the children. So, to prepare for something like that, they raise the prices on what they now have in stock to make sure they have the money to pay their bills when they can't get anything in stock. I don't blame them one bit for what they are doing.

I'm not trashing the local shops, but I won't be lining their pockets on the possibility they will be limited on what the can sell.

I just don't swing from their junk like a lot of guys here, I'm loyal to my wallet and of course common sense.

With this logic, ALL gun shops will shutter the doors and windows (IF) there is some sort of ban. Likely?... Nope. More likely scenario is not a whole lot will change except record profits.

Your posts read as if you think you are deserved a cheaper price on what dealers are selling. They don't owe you shit. Since the tragedy, how many local shops have you actually gone to and asked about inventory? Some local shops are saying it will be MONTHS before they get shipments. But I guess they can just hope and bank on the possibility of an AWB not going through and not do what they can to cover their ass for the future, right?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm not owed anything price wise from any local dealer, never suggested that. It's taking them "months"?, that's why I'd order a Daniel Defense and have it in three weeks flat.

I'm not currently in the market, If I was, BP would be up at the top of my list.

If local shops go out of business, so be it, it's the same capitalism at work. Businesses come and go, the ones that have pissed people off and don't have broad appeal,... probably sooner than others

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    Hi Everybody. I'm new to the forum but not new to shooting by any means. When the massacre in Connecticut happened I decided that if I ever wanted to get an AR I probably better poop or get off the pot. I'm an avid recreational target and trap shooter and never saw a real need to own a small caliber center fire rifle...until I thought maybe I couldn't. Every time I purchase a firearm I do so with the idea that it will eventually end up in the hands of my children and grandchildren so I try and get guns that are relatively nice. By that I mean spending a few extra dollars to get the S&W or whatever the case may be. So with that in mind I figured maybe my kids won't even be allowed to own something like an AR so I decided to just go ahead with it, plus it gives me great pleasure to feel like I'm poking Senator Mikulski right square in her beady little eye. So in my search to get a little background on AR's I talked to some LEO friends and ended up here, which is a really great site by the way. I ended up going to BP for several days in a row before they opened thinking that sooner or later the truck would show up and I'd be able to own a possibly soon to be rare gun and 50 years from now one of my great grand-kids would be at a range somewhere and their shooting buddies would drop their jaws when my historic gun was uncased. On New Years Day I showed up a little later than normal but still grabbed a low number. I talked to some really nice people there, one guy who was buying one as a college graduation present for his son. Another guy who was buying one because it was one of his bucket list guns and he thought maybe the window was closing on his opportunity. Anyway I waited a few hours or so and watched as the last Colt was taken down from the rack and the inevitable had happened: close but no cigar. I had two numbers ahead of me so I figured I've gone this far why not just wait for my number and then I can talk to the BP guy and maybe feel him out a little for what, if anything, they anticipate getting. So my number gets called and I told the guy I wanted a Colt but I realize they just sold the last one. He says "wait a minute let me go in the back and check on something." He comes back out and tells me "one of the associates who works here had one on hold and I talked him into giving it up." I was completed dumbfounded. I couldn't believe someone would give up their gun to a stranger or even that an employee would ask another employee to do it. I'm jazzed about a new gun like always when you get a new gun, especially something different from what you're used to, but the human interest side of this is almost too good to be true. Not to get too sappy or anything but the fact that a BP employee did that for me speaks volumes about the character of their gun department employees and their commitment to the shooting community at large. I offered some money as a gratuity to show my appreciation and they said they couldn't accept it. Again, it just blew me away. Thank you Pop-Gunner and please express my gratitude to your coworkers. I know you took some heat for this thread and a guy like me, who is a perfect stranger, benefited.

Welcome and a great first post as well. This is a great site you will learn a lot here.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I'm not owed anything price wise from any local dealer, never suggested that. It's taking them "months"?, that's why I'd order a Daniel Defense and have it in three weeks flat.

I'm not currently in the market, If I was, BP would be up a the top of my list.

If local shops go out of business, so be it, it's the same capitalism at work. Businesses come and go, the ones that have pissed people off and don't have broad appeal,... probably sooner than others

It's not capitalism when the government puts you out of business by banning the products your business sells. Bass Pro will survive because AR-15 rifles only account for a small portion of their business, but the small local businesses in the gun industry will die.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    It's not capitalism when the government puts you out of business by banning the products your business sells. Bass Pro will survive because AR-15 rifles only account for a small portion of their business, but the small local businesses in the gun industry will die.

There's a whole host of things retailers can't legally sell, I don't see pharmacies peddling every possible drug to the highest willing buyer. (example of legislative control)

I know quite a few shops that don't rely heavily on AR sales/service. There's a whole lot of speculation and stress about something that probably won't happen.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    There's a whole host of things retailers can't legally sell, I don't see pharmacies peddling every possible drug to the highest willing buyer. (example of legislative control)

I know quite a few shops that don't rely heavily on AR sales/service. There's a whole lot of speculation and stress about something that probably won't happen.

I agree that it probably won't happen, but it will definitely hurt many of our Industry Partners if it does. I'm sure places like Gun Connection, Engage, and 2A sales will be hurt.

jdash

Jan 1, 2013
    Pasadena, MD

Ha, nice post, lol, I remember you there. :) Grrrr...could have been me if I got up a little earlier, lol. I tried the same tactic a bit later, but...no more secret on hold guns ;)

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    I agree that it probably won't happen, but it will definitely hurt many of our Industry Partners if it does. I'm sure places like Gun Connection, Engage, and 2A sales will be hurt.

He doesn't care. Our IP's here treat members good, but when push comes to shove and they need to worry about keeping their lights on and feeding their families, all guys like him care is that he failed to prepare and now his panic is setting in and he wants to bitch about pricing. Nothing more, nothingless.

He's been in other threads with the same attitude. He's part of the free shit army and expects dealers to cave to him and sell cheap while they suffer. Pathetic.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom