• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ukimonster53

Apr 14, 2018
    Hello,

When building your own AR15's, which HBARs have you ordered from and where? How can you be certain they are HBAR?

Thanks!

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Any 5.56/.223 barrel that is 0.75 inches or greater from chamber to bore is good to go. Any caliber other than 5.56/.223 doesn’t matter what the barrel profile is.

Be careful of what you find online. Some places advertise a heavy barrel, when in reality it’s a Government profile with a pencil barrel under the hand guards but a heavy barrel forward of the gas block.

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    MSP never defined what specifications equal a heavy barrel when they did there dealer training back in 2013. When specifically asked, they said if the manufacture lists it as a heavy barrel then its a heavy barrel. Up to the last time I checked, they haven't sent an advisory out changing this stance so what I was advised to do is when you look at the description of the barrel or the upper, look for the note of the type of barrel. If it says, HBAR, Heavy Profile, Heavy Barrel or the like, then you are good.

Then I print and/or save a screenshot of the webpage as that can be used as your manufactures documented proof (with picture if possible). Uppers can be a little more tricky since its hard to prove that what you are using is the specific model in the print out but this is really the only option.

As for who to order from, I've ordered from the below. I'm sure there are many others out there too.
    JoeBob Outfitters
    JSE Surplus
    PK Firearms

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    MSP never defined what specifications equal a heavy barrel when they did there dealer training back in 2013. When specifically asked, they said if the manufacture lists it as a heavy barrel then its a heavy barrel. Up to the last time I checked, they haven't sent an advisory out changing this stance so what I was advised to do is when you look at the description of the barrel or the upper, look for the note of the type of barrel. If it says, HBAR, Heavy Profile, Heavy Barrel or the like, then you are good.

Then I print and/or save a screenshot of the webpage as that can be used as your manufactures documented proof (with picture if possible). Uppers can be a little more tricky since its hard to prove that what you are using is the specific model in the print out but this is really the only option.

As for who to order from, I've ordered from the below. I'm sure there are many others out there too.
    JoeBob Outfitters
    JSE Surplus
    PK Firearms

They’re good at not defining things, but it does need to be a copy of the Colt AR15 Sporter (as written in MD law). We had one from the early 80’s roll through the store right after we opened and we measured the entire barrel to be 0.75 inches the entire length - no cutouts dips or tapers.

Another term to look for is “bull barrel”. Those are all pretty fat barrels.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It should be marked or marketed as a heavy barrel. If there is any doubt, one of the IPs like Engage can order up a nice barrel and make sure it is to spec, which means marked or marketed as HBAR.

to reiterate #3, print the invoice or page which lists it as heavy barrel.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Another term to look for is “bull barrel”. Those are all pretty fat barrels.

MSP has repeatedly stated that a “bull barrel” or “varmint barrel” is NOT a “heavy barrel” for purposes of the AWB...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    MSP has repeatedly stated that a “bull barrel” or “varmint barrel” is NOT a “heavy barrel” for purposes of the AWB...

^^^This.

One more time; It either has to be advertised by the manufacturer as an Hbar, H-bar, Heavy Barrel, or have any of those terms permanently imprinted on the barrel itself. No other exceptions.

The advice to keep the bill of sale stating it is a 'Heavy Barrel' is wise.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have pre 2013 AR15s. I ordered parts to have replacements available when I wore them out. Should I buy some soap on a rope?

The lower receiver is the firearm.

If you can document you owned them prior to 10/1/2013 you can assemble them in configurations that were legal prior to that date. If you bought them in MD, the MSP presumably has records to that effect.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm glad you said that, because there are some folks here that say if you have (e.g.) a 6.5 Grendel you must have a barrel designated by the manufacturer as a "Heavy Barrel"; I agree with you, I don't think that's true.

If the gun can be converted into 5.56/.223 by changing only one part(barrel for example), then heavy barrel does apply. 300 AAC is a good example. It applies(except for pistols and SBRs).

Just another of Merryland's idiotic rules.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    If the gun can be converted into 5.56/.223 by changing only one part(barrel for example), then heavy barrel does apply. 300 AAC is a good example. It applies(except for pistols and SBRs).

Just another of Merryland's idiotic rules.

“a firearm is considered a copy if it is both cosmetically similar to and has completely interchangeable internal components necessary for the full operation and function of one of the enumerated banned weapons.”

Any caliber other than 5.56/.223 would not fully function as the Colt AR15, which is chambered in 5.56 (which can also fire .223), so therefore is not a copy and is not required to have a heavy barrel.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Let's see, another guy with less than 5 posts building an hbar.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Let's see, another guy with less than 5 posts building an hbar.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Looks like he bailed out after starting this thread. Maybe he took our advice to heart.

I wish I'd stayed in VA. My excuse is MD wasn't like this 40 years ago.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    “a firearm is considered a copy if it is both cosmetically similar to and has completely interchangeable internal components necessary for the full operation and function of one of the enumerated banned weapons.”

Any caliber other than 5.56/.223 would not fully function as the Colt AR15, which is chambered in 5.56 (which can also fire .223), so therefore is not a copy and is not required to have a heavy barrel.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?219686&p=5085330#post5085330

Draw your own conclusions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom