• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Has anyone tried to register the American Tactical 1911A1 Military 45 that was sold here on the MD Shooters group buy a while back?
    Do anyone know if DC will approve it? I was filling out the paperwork for my DC Lic and also as it is my understanding that I have to fill out the paperwork to register each handgun I want to carry concealed while in DC. 2 out of 3 of my handguns are on the list but not sure about my 1911 that is why I am asking.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    They copied other states because they never envisioned shall issue

Jokes on them

Not really related to shall issue or not since the handgun roster is the same for home ownership for years.

DC is a jurisdiction with 700,000 people so setting up a testing and certification system and board is not as cheap per capita as it is for cali md or mass.

Frankly after registering a few handguns it is clear it is a good thing DC allows Md since Cali and mass are WAY more restrictive.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Has anyone tried to register the American Tactical 1911A1 Military 45 that was sold here on the MD Shooters group buy a while back?
    Do anyone know if DC will approve it? I was filling out the paperwork for my DC Lic and also as it is my understanding that I have to fill out the paperwork to register each handgun I want to carry concealed while in DC. 2 out of 3 of my handguns are on the list but not sure about my 1911 that is why I am asking.

Since Maryland list/roster of allowed handguns is -- by far -- broader than California or Massachusetts lists, and DC allows use of any of the three, just go with the Maryland list.
    https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MSPBridgeClient/#/home

For all intents and purposes if it allowed on Maryland roster it is allowed in DC with exception of greater than ten round mags, and threaded barrels.

I have a 1911 registered in DC

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have an HK 45CT with a threaded barrel. It's prohibited in DC? I was going to register it.

Can you point me to the cite?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not really related to shall issue or not since the handgun roster is the same for home ownership for years.

DC is a jurisdiction with 700,000 people so setting up a testing and certification system and board is not as cheap per capita as it is for cali md or mass.

Frankly after registering a few handguns it is clear it is a good thing DC allows Md since Cali and mass are WAY more restrictive.

I could not find a tongue-in-cheek emoticon

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I could not find a tongue-in-cheek emoticon

I am just trying to give practical advice. For practical purposes DC is the Maryland list with exception of mag capacity and threaded barrels.

Obviously some threaded barrels are fixed permanently to receiver, while most are not and are replaceable. If you want to register the firearm in DC don't possess it in DC while it has the treaded barrel.

if you are from Maryland and have a carry firearm you would carry in DC for which you have >10 round mgs you could put a small square of red electrical tape, sliver colored foil tape on bottom of >10 round mags to help you avoid a mixup.

My own view is that first infractions DC will rack up on legal carriers will be MWAG (man with a gun) calls due to printing or exposing the firearm. So you may wish to consider printing/exposure as a primary factor in gun type/size, holster type and holster position more than you would put that as a top priority elsewhere.

Good excuse to buy a shield or G43. You probably want at least one +3 mag since the limit is not just 20 rounds, but you "shall not carry more ammunition than is required to fully load the pistol twice" which looks like a loaded small handgun with two spare mags would be an infraction.So if you have a shield with a 6+1 chambered or 7+1 chambered, and a 10 round mag with a three round extension, you are at 17 or 18 and ok; whereas if you have 6+1, plus a six and a seven spare mag, you are at 20, but the two spare mags could constitute three loads and be over the limit

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don’t disagree I have an unthreaded barrel for my HK so I’ll use that. I agree DC will aggressively prosecute carriers who print and cause MWAG calls. FL has s exemption in their statute that protects inadvertent exposure or printing. I don’t ever expect DC to have such. an exception. I have been carrying for 9 years and have figured out the "dress around the gun" concept so I don’t expect issues personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My HK uses 10 round mags as does my G29 so I’m good there. They conceal with no problem for me

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    My HK uses 10 round mags as does my G29 so I’m good there. They conceal with no problem for me

If you have a firearm that has 10 round mags be aware that total limit is 20. So if you are 10+1 in the firearm try and make some system where you remember that you are max 9 in the spare mag.

As I mentioned there is kinda mushy language in code on "two loads" and it does not say "two re-loads" so on a 5-round revolver that would mean one speed loader not two. And on a semi auto that seems to mean one spare mag even if it is a 6+1 gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom