Were "assault rifles" ever regulated sales in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    MSP Problem.
    I actually know a person that this happened to. FFL called him and asked him to bring the firearm back. Had he not the FFL would have notified the SP. I don't think the checks and balances works real well if the the dealer makes an error. How would the MSP know?

Sent from the 3rd Rock

Summer of 2013 I bought a handgun from a local dealer and they were doing 7 day release. I picked up after 7 days and then a few days later got a letter from MSP saying it was Disapproved and that the transfer may not take place. In a small panic, I called the dealer and they didn't even know about it yet. Called me a day later and it was simply an error by them on the paperwork. W
    ent back in a week later and picked up the new pink copy of the 77R.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually there was an overlap. "Regulated Long Guns" became a thing in 1994, Private sales ended in 1996 .

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I sold ARs during the panic of ‘13 and released them after 7 days. One person I released to got their Not Disapproved decision paperwork back months later.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Someone this morning told me that in the 90's, in the state of Maryland, there was a 7 day wait for ARs and the like.

I don't remember this at all.

Anything on a Form 77-R is a regulated sale. If you buy an AR-15 lower today, you have to complete a Form 77-R.

I am honestly surprised that you do not remember this. Most of it has been covered below, but it was really a bone of contention during the run up to FSA2013 becoming law. Lots of people applied for the Designated Collector status letter so they could purchase more than one regulated firearm a month. Not only was there a 7 day waiting period before you could take possession of the regulated firearm you paid for, but there was a 30 day waiting period before you could take possession of another regulated firearm, unless you were a Designated Collector. Lots of issues and litigation about this back in 2013.

Very hard to believe that 4 years have passed since FSA2013 went into effect.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Until MDSP settled a lawsuit and allowed dealers to release after 7 days. Paperwork for regulated firearms was taking months. Can't recall when they settled, sometime around July 2013 I think, but after that (and before Oct 1) you could pick up regulated firearms after 7 days, even if paperwork was not complete. I think the dealer had to run the NICS check first though. I know I picked up after 7 days sometime in Sept.

I am sure that there is a thread here on that somewhere to dig up.

But generally, yes, until Oct 1 2013, "regulated" guns i.e. ARs AKs, etc were 7 day wait and 77r.

7 day transfer unless disapproved is written into state law, possibly to ward off constitutional challenges if the " not disapproved" never is returned.

See the 3rd paragraph

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20140117/maryland-forced-to-clarify-firearm-transfer-rules

Irrrespective of what they CAN do, My experience is that most FFLs wait until the 7th day or until the not disapproved comes back, whichever is later. That way, if disapproved, the firearm can still be sold as new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom