Since DC dropped reason to carry, will Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rafster63

Aug 1, 2017
    Since last month Washington DC no longer requires "good and substantial" reason to apply and get approval to carry a firearm in the District.

Do we know if Maryland will use this precedent to drop ours and become a "Shall Issue" State? Finally????

:envy:

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Since last month Washington DC no longer requires "good and substantial" reason to apply and get approval to carry a firearm in the District.

Do we know if Maryland will use this precedent to drop ours and become a "Shall Issue" State? Finally????

:envy:

No, the ruling doesn't apply to Maryland.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    :lol2::lol2::lol::lol:

Attachments

• pig.jpg
      pig.jpg
      4.8 KB · Views: 1,754

Rafster63

Aug 1, 2017
    I know it is local to DC, but maryland and others can use this recent precedent to remove the "Good and Substantial" reason clause from their application... They could, if someone had the gonads in Annapolis to submit the bill...

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    I know it is local to DC, but maryland and others can use this recent precedent to remove the "Good and Substantial" reason clause from their application... They could, if someone had the gonads in Annapolis to submit the bill...

If by "someone" you mean "anyone" and if by "anyone" you mean "no, really, anyone, even the fat guy in the big office" I think the answer is still no.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    DC did this by force. They din't choose to do this.

Maryland will only do it by force as well.

Bills have been introduced before.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008

Sort of. It's not quite that simple. Legally speaking, the DC ruling has no impact on Maryland, because Maryland isn't in the same Circuit for Court of Appeals as DC is.

Maryland, which is in the 4th Circuit, has the controlling precedent set in the Woollard case which held Maryland's system of ok.

You could use the DC case to say "Look what other circuits are doing" but they could just as easily say "Good for them, we don't agree with them."

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    Maryland AG Frosh and other AG's put pressure on DC not to appeal to the Supreme Court to avoid an unfavorable ruling for the anti's, that would force MD and other states to remove those types of requirements. I believe they know it would be found as unconstitutional, and they don't want that fight on that level.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Maryland general assembly will double down, next year it the new standard will be 'REALLY REALLY good and REALLY REALLY substantial'. rationale from Animal House, DOUBLE secret probation, will be used as the model.

Last edited:

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    MARYLAND politicians will shove their fingers even deeper into their own ears, screaming "Na,na,na,na I can't hear you."

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    If I'm not mistaken, now that there is a clear circuit split, another lawsuit (Woolard redux) could again be filed without it immediately being thrown out.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    IDK, I am mildly more optimistic than many here. Baltimore PC wants tougher sentences for gun crimes. Lots of people are arrested carrying illegally then nolle prossed and released. There have been a few stories in the Sun about generally law abiding people carrying for self defense, albeit obviously illegally.

MGA knows they are treading on thin ice and borrowed time. Frosh's pressure to get D.C. to drop the appeal essentially concedes they are likely to lose.

I see the potential for compromise. If MGA was smart, they would make it easier for law abiding to get a permit - repeal G&S and go back to 8 hours training. Simultaneously stiffen penalties for those carrying illegally. Judges and prosecutors will be less lenient when the only excuse for not having a permit to carry is that you are a felon. It may even help some Senators like Zirkin who are in districts Hogan won.

But optimism makes it a 1% chance vs a 0.1% chance prior to Wrenn. Always bet on the stupidity of the MGA in this state.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Nothing to do with gonads. Do you realize that bills removing the "good and substantial" requirement get introduced almost every year? Mike and Mike along with the committee chairman make sure that these bills never see the light of day.
    They need to be voted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    There is a fundamental problem with both forced shall issue and national reciprocity. This is the fact that each state can pass laws to limit local legality of possession and essentially make more and more places gun free zones. If they were to make local parks, doctors offices, children's play area etc gun free zones, your right to carry would be heavily restricted and put all law abiding carriers to be at risk of violating the law just by walking down the street. Baltimore has already introduced law to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom